Unreal Klipsch Rf System or Paradigm Rf

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adil M, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Alright guys, I have a friend who I turned on to the Mits WS and now he wants a good surround system and he's 100% HT. He said this is what the online dealer rec'd:
    Klipsch Reference II system www.klipsch.com
    RF-3II fronts 450
    RC-3II center 300
    RS-3II dipoles 400
    Yamaha RXV2200 400
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/w...w/rx-v2200.htm
    It looks like a very nice bundle for 1550. He didn't like the subs there, so I rattled off the SVS, HSU, Adire Audio, and Sony Sawm40 recs. He's never heard of any of them [​IMG].
    He wants to know if he can get a better system for his money off the net. Well, I looked up his system on the net, b/c I don't know Klipsch, but I was kind of shocked [​IMG]. It appears to be a great deal. Any Klipsch owners want to chime in? Please. Is that a good matching receiver? Should he be looking at Onkyo (can get at cost) or HK (Denon is not an option right now)? Is this line of speakers getting updated? What's up, does Klipsch have ridiculous list prices? What are the regrets by you Klipsch owners?
    I rec'd a Paradigm Reference system (my biased system) or a Monitor Audio silver system, but told him they would run about 300-600 over his speaker prices now. He said as long as it was good enough for HT he didn't care. Should I mention the Divas? Is the Klipsch CC a good performer? Any advice on helping him would be much appreciated. I hate giving bad advice, so I don't want to guess on the performance of these speakers. Thanks a lot guys. BTW I am going to take credit for all your advice [​IMG].

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Only one thing that I'd mention here is that a Yamaha/Klipsch combination is likely to be pretty bright. I heard the recent Yamaha models were a little warmer, I don't know how true that is. If this is a concern, you might want to have your friend listen to this combination before putting his money down. Bright systems usually sound very impressive at first listen (I know, I bought one based on how impressive it sounded), but as time goes by they tend to get fatiguing if that sound isn't to your taste (I'm now looking for new speakers).

3. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

The RX-V2200 is the brand-spankin' new update to the 1000, and it lists for $1199 USD...if he got it for $400 USD ....Wow. My RX-V2200 is currently in transit to me, and I paid a fair bit more than $600 CAD for it!

RE speaker matchups, I fall in the camp that thinks calling a manufacturer's entire line of receivers "bright" a bit too far reaching--especially in this case, where the product is just now getting into customer (and reviewer) hands....

And for 100%HT, the Klipsch line should definitely be on the audition list, especially since it's usually 2-channel music that drops the Klipsch value/equation...or so I've read....

4. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Adil,
    If your friend is 100% HT then Klipsch reference speakers are ideal(IMO). I have Klipsch Reference w/ an Onkyo 797 and a Parasound 5 ch. amp. Dual SVS 25-31 subs round out the setup and I couldn't be happier with the performance. I have tried alot of setups this year and have finally found what i was looking for. I also believe the Yamaha might be too bright mated with Klipsch though. Marantz, Denon, and Onkyo all mate well with Klipsch(I have tried all of these with my Klipsch speakers). The price he was quoted for the speakers is excellent. [​IMG]

5. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I'm quoting his prices for each product. I thought they were all unreal deals or close to unreal, but he says it will workout once he gets his credit card discount. The main qualm I had was the reputation of Klipsch being bright speakers. I have not auditioned them yet and will try to go w/ him when he finds a place. The Paradigm Studios are supposed to be bright too, but I really like them. Right now my rec'n is to audition and then buy unless something is really wrong. What would be a good matching receiver to "tone down" the brightness?
    I'm going to rec'd the Onkyo 797, but are these reasons valid:
    1. 192/24bit DAC, better then 96 dac
    2. ?HD component switching
    3. 110 watts per channel, but S&V says the 696 is really underpowered compared to specs. Does this apply to 797?

6. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

7. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

8. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

I have a complete Klipsch reference system (RB5, RC3, RCW3) with a Denon 3802. I also have a Velodyne SPL1200 sub. This system absolutley rocks for both home theater AND music. When I listen to other speakers, they all sound dull, and too laid back. I like the Klipsch sound! Just because some people say they are bright, don't think that they are going to be harsh sounding. What cracks me up, is people get other speakers, and then immediately turn their treble up (to get the highs like they like them), but then call Klipsch bright. With the Klipsch, I have my tone defeat on, and the sound is very smooth and detailed. You can hear everything going on in the music.

If you just got done listening to a "warm" system, then these may seem bright, and likewise, listening to these, and then other speakers may make the others sound dull and lifeless.

The II in the names implies they are now internally wired with Monster Z Series cables, audiophile crossovers, and some other tweaks to their appearance.

Now, my father-in-law owns Klipsch RF3, RC3, some synergy surrounds and a KSW 15 sub with a Yamaha 1000. This systems sounds totally fine to me, and not bright at all. I think Klipsch gets a bad rap from a few people who don't like their detailed sound. They can make bad recordings sound absolutley horrible, since they reveal every detail. But good recordings sound incredible, just like you are there.

Bryan

9. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

10. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I totally agree with what Bryan Acvedo said, I have the Klipsch Legend Series (KLF-30 KLF-C7 KSP-S6)with Dual 20-39CS SVS subs and run them with the Yamaha DSP-A1, They are not bright to me either. I have recently added 2 Acurus 200x3 Amps to the set up, but even before that I was really happy with the sound. In my expierience there are only two types of people out there, those that love horns, and those that don't.

Craig

11. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

12. DaveJB

DaveJB Extra

I just bought a 3802 and listened to it with the Klipsch RF3, RC3, RS3 and KSW12. I watched Men in Black and listened to music CDs. These speakers sounded great to me and I will be getting a set in the near future [​IMG]
    I also was leaning toward getting the RB3 book shelfs in place of the RF3's but the RF3's sounded WAY better.

13. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

A Denon 3802 or an Onkyo 797 paired with those Klipsch for 100% home theater will definately not disappoint. Add a pair of SVS 20-39 subs and he will be giddy.

Depending on his room (ie if you can place the rear speakers a fair ways behind the listener) I'd consider going with the RB3 instead of the RS3 for surrounds.

14. Rutledge

Rutledge Stunt Coordinator

Adil,

I have to second and third the opinions of those cautioning about the brightness issue.

I don't know if the klipsh's you have spec'd out have horns or metal tweeter, but klipsh's tend to be forward and bright sounding.

That horn in their speakers cuts right through me. I can't even be in the same room with klipschs.

Coupled with a Yamaha receiver would probably be more than i could take. I think the Denon would be a better choice.

Probably a speaker form a British or Canadian manufacturer would be a good choice also.

Remember, most movies are tipped up in the top end anyway so, I would be wary of the klipschs. JMHO.

15. Todd Schuitema

Todd Schuitema Auditioning

OK, my turn...
    I have the Klipsch RF-3's, RC-3, and RS-3's powered by an Onkyo 787 and have great theater sound. They are currently supported on the low end by a Def Tec PF15TL, but I just got my shipping confirmation from SVS for 2 20-39cs's and a Samson s700 [​IMG]
    I am very happy with this setup at this price point. The "brightness" issue is not as noticable (music only, I agree with the above reponses too) when being driven by the Onkyo vs. Yamaha vs. Pioneer. Denon has a warm sound too, but I picked the Onkyo for features/price. I also upgraded to Monster M 2.4s biwire ($325 on Ebay!) and I do hear a great difference in the sound. It delivers a more accurate punch to the midrange and smoothness to the highs. This was a very good cost/performance upgrade IMHO.
    If your friend has not used anything already, he will be happy with whatever brand receiver he/she picks. They are all good.
    Good Luck!
    Todd
    Onkyo 787
    Klipsch RF-3's
    Klipsch RC-3
    Klipsch RS-3'3
    Def Tec PF15TL until SVS arrives on 12/11 [​IMG]
    Panasonic RP56 DVD
    Monster HTS3500 power center
    Monster M2.4s Bi-wire
    80"x45" Draper M2500 Screen
    NEC LT150 Projector
    Aura Bass ShAkErS in the furniture

16. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Rutledge,

Klipsch speakers excel at HT(IMO) because of the horns. Most major movie theaters use horn loaded speakers. I have klipsch reference and they are not at all too bright. Most receivers now have Re-Eq to tone down any brightness anyway. I don't like the Re-Eq for most movies because to me it seems to tone down the highs too much but i'm sure other people would like that feature(I do use it on occasion). It all depends on the movie you are watching i guess. Adil says his friend's setup is going to be all HT so Klipsch is a perfect choice(IMO).

17. Elliott_P

Elliott_P Agent

I guess I'll weigh in, here.
    My listening room is fully Klipsch-i-fied with Heresy II's at all four corners and an RC-3 in the center. Mated with a single SVS 20-39cs, and running through my Denon 2801, I can say that I enjoy audio happiness with both HT and music.
    I think the issue with brightness is in the ear of the beholder but I certainly understand why some find them to be so. I love the Klipsch sound but have, in my constant tweaking, found them to be very harsh under certain circumstances and quite unforgiving of sub-optimal setup. Speaker positioning, room reflections and source material can combine in ways that can make my Heresy's a painful and fatiguing experience. Literally.
    At this point, after endless moving and toe-ing the speakers as well as some measures to tame room reflections I can happily report that I find my Heresy's relaxing and a joy to listen to. Movies are dynamic and exciting and quality musical recordings can put performers on a stage in my own living room. I like to close my eyes and pretend that Diana Krall actually IS standing 5 feet away from me.....ahem.....but that's another story. Don't tell my wife. [​IMG]
    I don't think Klipsch speakers need excessive fussing over but, I've read that proper setup of the speakers for your room is more important with horns than it is with others. My experience has certainly been such.
    As always, the best advice to give your friend is to listen to them for himself. There is just no other way to be sure you're going to like something as subjective as how a speaker sounds. I might step out on a limb and buy a PAIR of speakers unheard, off of the net, as long as there was a good return policy. Having to return a full set of 5 Reference Klipsch speakers would be a major pain in the tail, though.

18. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Thanks Guys. We're going to audition tomorrow.