What's new

Rotel RDV-1080 dvd player (1 Viewer)

Kevin E

Auditioning
I have a chance to pick up this dvd player in mint condition for $600.00. I have searched a couple of forums but can't seem
to find much talk about it. Does anyone have any experience
with this player? I have a rsp-1066,rb-1080,and a rb-993 so
I'm familiar with rotel products. Just not there dvd players.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Kevin

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The '1080 is a nice player. I've used it a few times at a local dealer, and the audio is very good. Some people here have said that it doesn't show the chroma bug, which is a big plus. My only issue with the '1080 is that it was built after a budget JVC first-generation DVD-Audio player, and it is lacking in a couple areas like the JVC unit. The problem is that the '1080 is much more expensive than the JVC model, so the shortcomings stick out more to me on the '1080.

Like the JVC player, the '1080 has no stereo analog outputs; it only has 5.1-channel outputs. This may not be a big deal to most people, but I have DVD-Audio and SACD players routed to both my home-theater system and main stereo system. I have the 5.1-channel outputs routed to the A/V receiver and the stereo analog outputs routed to my stereo integrated amp. Thus, I play CDs and stereo SACD and DVD-Audio tracks through the stereo system. Obviously, one cannot split the '1080 between two systems. That's a shame considering that the '1080 is a quality stereo component.

My other pet peeve is that the '1080 is a bit lacking in terms of build quality. I don't think it shows the heft and solidity that belies the (usual) $1000 price tag.

All in all, I feel the '1080 is a very good component. It's just lacking in a couple of areas in my opinion. Regardless, $600 is a great price for the '1080. If the issues I mentioned don't bother you, go for it.

Finally, the '1080 has been discussed here a bit, so do a search if you would like to read more opinions before making a decision.

Kevin E

Auditioning
Keith
Thank you for your impute. I did do a search here but didn't really find much impute like yours. I really thought that more people here would have owned one or have listened to it. I guess I'm gonna take the plunge and go pick it up today. My system is all in one so the stereo output shouldn't be a problem. The only thing that bothers me is the build quality.
I wonder if Modright, or someone like that, would come up with a mod for this player to help with build quality.
Thanks,

Kevin

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, no problem. Generally speaking, the mods that people like Dan Wright of modwright.com perform are limited to parts upgrades, not chassis reinforcement. For example, these people upgrade capacitors, digital and analog output, fixed power cords to IEC plugs, etc.
Now, there are two aspects to improving the build quality. One is based purely on perception of quality. I like components with "bullet-proof" chassis. The other aspect of improved build quality is vibration dampening, which many audiophiles believe is necessary for optimum fidelity. You may be able to achieve both by adding reinforcement material inside the chassis of the '1080, but be sure you know what you are doing before trying this. Also note that internal mods void the manufacturer's warranty.
Alternatively, you may be able to dampen vibrations with external devices such as Vibrapods or sorbo gel feet. Www.audioadvisor.com sells such devices. If you are looking for vibration dampening rather than simply improved feel, consider these external devices. For more opinions on vibration dampening methods, you might want to post a question on the Tweaking, Connections and Accessories board here or on the Tweaker's Asylum board on www.audioasylum.com . A search on the board on Audio Asylum might help as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks