What's new

Rotel RDV 1080 player or Blue Ray player (1 Viewer)

gte357s

Grip
Real Name
alex
Hi all, I would like to get your comments.

I am thinking to buy a Rotel RSX 1055 and B&W CDM 9NT speakers from an individual. My question is, should I spend another $350 for his Rotel RDV 1080 DVD player also. I read good reviews on it, but I think an DVD player is not a very crucial component, and a normal DVD player should sound just as good. I mainly use it for music. So, I am thinking if I should save that $350 and upgrade to Blue Ray DVD later. Do you think the music quality will degrade significantly without the Rotel player?

Thanks.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Personally, since all decoding will take place in the Rotel RSX 1055, I don't think the music quality will degrade at all, if the source is DD/DTS on DVD. DD/DTS are self-timing, error corrected protocols and if the receiver is receiving it and decoding it, the transport doesn't matter one whit. Any errors in the transport will result in failure of the decode and the result will be no sound. If the source is PCM on CD, well that's a different question (although my answer is still that it won't matter, but there more of a chance for disagreement).

gte357s

Grip
Real Name
alex
Thank you very much, and I agree with you. I will save up for the BD then.

gte357s

Grip
Real Name
alex
Hi Jeff,

I have a further question on your comment. If I connect my normal average DVD player to RSX1055 through optical or coaxial, then all decoding will be handle by RSX1055. So, even my player cannot handle DTS, I will either hear sound with DTS, or no sound at all. Am I correct?

But you mention PCM CD is a different story, Why is that? Do you mean the quality may be worse through the optical connection?

Thanks.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Your player has to be able to pass DTS and your receiver has to be able to decode DTS in order to get DTS. As far as the PCM comment, some people claim they can hear jitter from a PCM stream. I haven't seen any scientific double blind testst that prove it, so personally I don't believe in quality differences due to jitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks