What's new

Rocky Horror Picture Show 40th Anniversary (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

rhps_giftset_glamourskew_b1_2_1.jpg

rhps_giftset_glamourskew_b1_1.jpg

Limited edition set includes collectible fishnet stockings, gloves and the original movie soundtrack cd!

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Now, here are my comments....

Aside from the box of junk --- and this is one of the worst I have seen -- I would almost guarantee this is not a remastered version.   This is a shame, because it is my understanding that there were audio issues with the original Blu-ray release.

I do hope that a press release is forthcoming that will prove me wrong.

The price is great, so, if it is remastered, the packaging (minus the contents) and Blu-ray would be worth a double-dip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ron,

What were the audio issues with the previous release? I own that version, and nothing stuck out that I noticed.

As for this release, they forgot to include the bag of rice. :rolleyes:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Scott,

Here are issues that I was able to reference...

"Science Fiction" is LETTERBOXED (within the 1.66 frame which the Fox logo and the rest of the film is in), cutting off the top and bottom of the lips during parts of the song. The entire film was 1.66 on the dvd.

The blue tint from Brad's bedroom scene has been removed. The blue tint from the Timewarp flashback has also been removed.

The sound mix of "Over at the Frankenstein Place" is allegedly not accurate. They mistakenly used the wrong vocal take for Susan Sarandon's verse at the beginning, that's why it sounds so odd--it's a completely different take.

Some may find this to be negligible problems. However, I do know, at the time of the initial Blu-ray release, these issues were reported to Fox and it was hoped that they would correct them for future release.

​I am hoping I am wrong with my *assumption* that this is simply a repackaged product and that Fox did the needed corrected work.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I mean, if you don't already own it, it's a good deal for the film and the soundtrack CD together. Then again, I think most people who are fans of the film already own both, maybe on multiple formats. (I may have almost gotten divorced over an impulse purchase of the LD box set when it was released. Maybe. Perhaps. I admit nothing. It was $125. Sigh.)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I mean, if you don't already own it, it's a good deal for the film and the soundtrack CD together. Then again, I think most people who are fans of the film already own both, maybe on multiple formats. (I may have almost gotten divorced over an impulse purchase of the LD box set when it was released. Maybe. Perhaps. I admit nothing. It was $125. Sigh.)
I had never seen this movie until...I was a Uniformed Fire Safety Officer (LAFD-31 years) on the 20th Anniversary celebration when it was shown in Los Angeles in the '90s at one of the older movie theaters...could have been the Mayan. They put a 35mm projector in the middle of the aisle, down near the front of the theater.

They had gathered all of the best people that would get up on stage and acted out all the scenes.

As the Fire Safety Officer, they weren't allowed to use the candles when they had the newspapers on their heads...didn't need a bunch of kids with their heads on fire running thru an abandoned movie theater!!!

Here's the kicker...the projectionist had never seen the movie either, and after playing the movie "TWICE"...we both both became lovers of this movie!!!

When I bought the LD (what, about $125...piss money back then when you collected LDs!!!) they gave you a gold CD...that's right...a GOLD CD!!! Played that sucker forever...until I sold the LD. hated to see it go.

I kind of wonder how "Forbidden Planet" can be my favorite movie and "Rocky Horror Picture Show" be the second...?

It all comes down to that Drew Carey Show when they did the sing off between "Priscilla, Queen of the Dessert and The Rocky Horror Picture Show"...somethings don't get any better than that...except when both of his pards are arrested for driving the Batmobile dressed as Batman and Robin!!!!!!!!!!

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I kind of like the book-packaging of the original blu-ray release (though, getting the disc out is a little awkward).

I already own the CD, and I definitely don't need fishnet stockings or pink rubber gloves, lol.

But, it would be worth it if they've fixed the aforementioned problems and I'll be curious to see if they did.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
John Sparks said:
I had never seen this movie until...

Here's the kicker...the projectionist had never seen the movie either, and after playing the movie "TWICE"...we both both became lovers of this movie...
What a great story!

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Ronald Epstein said:
The blue tint from Brad's bedroom scene has been removed. The blue tint from the Timewarp flashback has also been removed.

The sound mix of "Over at the Frankenstein Place" is allegedly not accurate. They mistakenly used the wrong vocal take for Susan Sarandon's verse at the beginning, that's why it sounds so odd--it's a completely different take.

Quite right on the first point - "blue is for a**holes!", after all. :p

I can say I have heard that alternate take of Sarandon's vocal in screenings of the film before though, but I can't remember if it was all the screenings I saw. The VHS we all had for years and years was the same take as the album, though.

And since I finally pawned my old dvd about a week ago, I'm unable to check that one...

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I'm skeptical that they've done any corrections for this set, especially since nothing is mentioned on the pre-order page.
But, we'll see! :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Now Available for Preorder on Amazon

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
[SIZE= 18px]The Longest-Running Theatrical Release in Film History and
Cult Phenomenon Celebrates Four Decades
[/SIZE]​

6c8dd91a-f303-42fd-a302-2393091abe66.jpeg

[SIZE= 18px]The Rocky Horror Picture Show 40th Anniversary Arrives
on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD September 22

Celebrate 40 years of the cult-classic with an all-new Ultimate Collector’s Edition featuring exclusive collectibles for die-hard fans![/SIZE]​

e970d34a-1f04-4174-829c-41077d4a3181.jpeg

LOS ANGELES, CA (July 29, 2015) – Get ready to do the time warp again as
The Rocky Horror Picture Show 40th Anniversary – the ultimate midnight movie – comes home on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD September 22 from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. Featuring an all-star cast, including: Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon, Barry Bostwick and Meat Loaf,
The Rocky Horror Picture Show quickly became a pop cultural phenomenon passed down from generation to generation. Now, after four decades, it’s back stronger than ever with an all-new Ultimate Collector’s Edition, featuring limited edition packaging, exclusive collectible pink surgical gloves, fishnet stockings and a soundtrack for its army of die-hard fans!

The Rocky Horror Picture Show 40th Anniversary edition is packed with featurettes highlighting past celebrations and midnight screenings, deleted musical scenes, 11 outtakes, alternate endings, commentaries by Richard O’Brien and Patricia Quinn (Magenta), photo galleries and more! Bring the midnight screening home to share with friends and family with Rocky-oke: Sing It! – which includes 18 show-stopping musical numbers from the hugely popular soundtrack: “Touch-A, Touch-A, Touch Me,” “Sweet Transvestite,” “The Time Warp” and more! The Blu-ray also features incredible HD featurettes, as well as a photo gallery from Rock ‘N’ Roll’s seminal photographer Mick Rock, which dives deeper into Rock’s experience capturing the moment on-set and behind-the-scenes of the 1975 film. In “Mick Rock's Picture Show (A Gallery)” fans can take a peek at more than 70 high-resolution images from his archives.

A Lou Adler/Michael White Production directed by Jim Sharman, this cinematic classic follows sweethearts Brad (Barry Bostwick) and Janet (Susan Sarandon) as they are stuck with a flat tire during a storm and discover the eerie mansion of Dr. Frank-N-Furter (Tim Curry), a sweet transvestite scientist. As their innocence is lost, Brad and Janet meet a houseful of wild characters, including a rocking biker (Meat Loaf) and a creepy butler (Richard O'Brien). Through elaborate dances and rock songs, Frank-N-Furter unveils his latest creation: a muscular man named "Rocky."

Since its 1975 release, The Rocky Horror Picture Show quickly made its mark as the most-beloved cult film of all time. Today, this iconic cult classic film is the longest running theatrical release of all-time and currently plays at weekly midnight showings in over 300 theaters across the U.S. and even more around the world. Moreover, the film’s cultural exposure and acclaim has extended far beyond the theatrical release, as the original “Rocky Horror” stage show continues to delight audiences worldwide.

Blu-ray Special Features:
Includes both the U.S. and U.K. versions of the film
  • Rocky-oke: Sing It!
  • Commentary By Richard O'Brien and Patricia Quinn (Magenta)
  • Don’t Dream It, Be It: The Search for the 35th Anniversary Shadowcast, Part I
  • An-tic-i-pation: The Search for the 35th Anniversary Shadowcast, Part II
  • Mick Rock (A Photographer)
  • Mick Rock's Picture Show (A Gallery)
  • A Few From The Vault

Deleted Musical Scenes

1: ”Once In A While”
  • 2: ”Super Heroes”

[*]Outtakes

• Alternate B&W Opening
  • Alternate Credit & Misprint Ending
  • "Rocky Horror Double Feature Video Show" (1995)
  • Beacon Theater, New York City (10th Anniversary)
  • Time Warp Music Video
  • The Midnight Experience
  • Pressbook & Poster Gallery….And More!

DVD Special Features:
Includes both the U.S. and U.K. Versions of the Film
  • Commentary By Richard O'Brien and Quinn (Magenta)
  • The Theatrical Experience
  • Prompter: “When do I squirt my water pistol and when do I scream?”
  • And More!

The Rocky Horror Picture Show 40th Anniversary Blu-ray
Street Date: September 22, 2015
Pre-Book Date: August 19, 2015
Screen Format: Widescreen Anamorphic Feature (1.66:1)
Audio: English 7.1 DTS HD MA / Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 / French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Total Run Time: 100 minutes
U.S. Rating: R
Closed Captioned: Yes

The Rocky Horror Picture Show 40th Anniversary DVD
Street Date: September 22, 2015
Pre-Book Date: August 19, 2015
Screen Format: Widescreen (1:66:1)
Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1/English Mono
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Total Run Time: 100 minutes
U.S. Rating: R
Closed Captioned: Yes

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am being a little lazy...

Is this basically the identical Blu-ray that is already released with added "junk" in the box?

I would consider a second dip if there is more added content -- despite the fact I doubt they fixed the problems with the original transfer.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
Is this basically the identical Blu-ray that is already released with added "junk" in the box?
I certainly don't know for sure but since the press release for the Edward Scissorhands re-release notes a 4K transfer and this one says nothing about the transfer, I'd guess it's the same.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks, Travis. I noticed that. I was also concerned with the added supplements and two versions (US and BRITISH) of the film.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Same disc. If you bought the first BD release, you're good-to-go. :)

The difference between the US and UK versions of the film is simply the inclusion of Superheroes in the UK version, btw. There were also some prints in the US that had a Time Warp reprise over the end credits. I know my old theater had that print.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks