What's new

Pre-Order Young Sherlock Holmes (1985) (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray SteelBook) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I would love to see this quote on the box:

...one of the worst-looking catalog releases on Blu-ray by a major studio in some time. - Todd Erwin, Home Theater Forum
If there is one major attribute that visitors might take away from HTF aside from quality moderation, it’s totally honest reviews that don’t pussyfoot around problems and recommendations.

There are a small group of equally honest reviewers at some of the other sites - and we know who they are, and respect their words.

But run through the majority of reviews that you’ll find - mostly on YouTube, during which one can see plastic outer wrapping being carefully removed and stickers discussed - but it’s free disc time, and many of these folks love everything.

Just sayin’…

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm somewhat indifferent to the movie in general, but I was hoping that this release would motivate me to give it another shot 30 or so years after that last time I saw it. Oh, well.

jbmonster

Auditioning
Real Name
John Ballentine
Geeeze. I watched it last night on 112" screen w/ JVC 640 (professionally calibrated) at distance of 14' and thought it looked rather nice :oops: I new it wouldn't look spectacular otherwise I assume Paramount would have released it in 4K (as they are Dragonslayer). Yes it's definitely an older transfer and yes I noticed mild grain removal and a smidge of EE, and a couple of instances of black crush. But it seemed worlds better than my 20 year old DVD - and my Laserdisc is virtually unwatchable due to snits, color dots, blown out contrast etc. Guess I'm alone in my assessment. Not sure what to think :huh:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Geeeze. I watched it last night on 112" screen w/ JVC 640 (professionally calibrated) at distance of 14' and thought it looked rather nice :oops: I new it wouldn't look spectacular otherwise I assume Paramount would have released it in 4K (as they are Dragonslayer). Yes it's definitely an older transfer and yes I noticed mild grain removal and a smidge of EE, and a couple of instances of black crush. But it seemed worlds better than my 20 year old DVD - and my Laserdisc is virtually unwatchable due to snits, color dots, blown out contrast etc. Guess I'm alone in my assessment. Not sure what to think :huh:
it wouldn't be the first time that someone's personal enjoyment and viewing experience was in opposition to the 'official experts'

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
I felt the same way when watching it on my 77" OLED from a distance of 14'. Though I could tell it was an older transfer, I thought it looked far better than it ever has on home video. I was completely happy with it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Paramount is releasing a standard Blu-ray Edition on June 27th. Preorder is in the top post.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn

...one of the worst-looking catalog releases on Blu-ray by a major studio in some time. - Todd Erwin, Home Theater Forum
I agree the BD is poor but what is interesting is that the film has been shown recently on UK Sky movie channel and it is a very nice print much superior to the bluray .

JWC1969

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim

Same quote should be used for the recent and long-awaited release of "Big Night" on the blu-ray format. Absolutely disgusting transfer, not one s&%t given by the studio, this even after the success of Stanley Tucci's CNN doc where he travels to Italy to sample local cuisine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks