What's new

Pre-Order Young Sherlock Holmes (1985) (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray SteelBook) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Is this information coming from someone who has actually seen the transfer or simply by enlarging screenshots?
I'm saying what I'm looking at screenshots.
I have NEVER been fooled by them (since I watch my blurays and 4k UHDS on my pc too), and I don't think grain or a remastered image will magically appear when someone sees the film in motion.
Anyway, the reports from some that have seen the blu-ray itself, are the same. An old master. No remastered image.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Just out of curiosity...

Is this information coming from someone who has actually seen the transfer or simply by enlarging screenshots?

I realize Paramount is reckless with 4k transfers these days but I am very curious as to what someone who has actually seen this transfer has to say.
I received my copy from Amazon yesterday and just popped it into my player. This appears to be the same HD transfer used for the previous DVD and streaming releases of the film, unfortunately. The two title cards after the Paramount logo have very noticeable weave to them, and the film is framed at 1.78:1, rather than the theatrical 1.85:1.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I received my copy from Amazon yesterday and just popped it into my player. This appears to be the same HD transfer used for the previous DVD and streaming releases of the film, unfortunately. The two title cards after the Paramount logo have very noticeable weave to them, and the film is framed at 1.78:1, rather than the theatrical 1.85:1.

Thanks, Todd.

I just have a personal thing about screenshots and judging a transfer from them. Sometimes screenshots are very accurate but there have been many cases in the past where they created hysteria over an issue that wasn't there.

I am really sorry to hear this is yet another Paramount 4k blunder.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Thanks, Todd.

I just have a personal thing about screenshots and judging a transfer from them. Sometimes screenshots are very accurate but there have been many cases in the past where they created hysteria over an issue that wasn't there.

I am really sorry to hear this is yet another Paramount 4k blunder.
Watching further, the image has horrible black levels and there is noticeable smearing in the image at times. I am about to return this atrocity to Amazon for a refund.

This is a title that has come up every time HTF has visited Paramount during the past Hollywood meets as a most requested Blu-ray title, and now that our request has been fulfilled, we get a dated transfer. Ugh!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Watching further, the image has horrible black levels and there is noticeable smearing in the image at times. I am about to return this atrocity to Amazon for a refund.

This is a title that has come up every time HTF has visited Paramount during the past Hollywood meets as a most requested Blu-ray title, and now that our request has been fulfilled, we get a dated transfer. Ugh!
Wow, that DVD came out about 20 years ago.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
YSH has one of the most notable early uses of digital technology. Those who have not seen the film can look forward to the stained-glass knight.
I worked at Paramount PR/Marketing when the film was released and we were all amazed at that sequence when it was first screened for the staff. And I always felt that Marvel stole a little bit of the "end credits tease" from YSH.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Will Amazon take back an opened Blu-ray? I am kind of thinking not. However, I hope they do.

So disappointed with Paramount. They have put out some really disappointing transfers since going into the hyperdrive release of their catalog to 4k and Blu-ray.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Will Amazon take back an opened Blu-ray? I am kind of thinking not. However, I hope they do.

So disappointed with Paramount. They have put out some really disappointing transfers since going into the hyperdrive release of their catalog to 4k and Blu-ray.
I just created a return and requested a refund rather than a replacement. This is completely unwatchable after 20 minutes.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I watched the Blu ray over the weekend with friends. Nobody had negative comments about the projection quality or sound. I also thought I detected an auto shift to 1.85 on my scope setup, but I can't confirm that until I rewatch. It won't win any demo quality awards, but nobody was disturbed by the presentation which was far better than the dvd.
What did come up was how similar it was to Harry Potter...two boys and a girl doing their sleuthing in an excentric British school? It had to inspire JK Rowling!
Their was also consensus that the main set piece and reason for the crimes was not developed enough to be credible.
Bruce Broughton's music score is perfect and also reflects the tone of the future Harry Potter outings. I would also agree with Mskaye (above) that the post credit tease is very Marvel-esque. Was this the first film to try this? They must have assumed it would be a blockbuster. The Bond films did use a title card stating "007 would return" but no footage was used. Any others?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Interesting, Sleepy Hollow and Terms of Endearment are Paramount titles that just upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision on iTunes.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Very disappointed to hear negative feedback. I've never upgraded from my laserdisc and had thought to do that with this release. Probably not now.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Just out of curiosity...

I realize Paramount is reckless with 4k transfers these days but I am very curious as to what someone who has actually seen this transfer has to say.
Agreed Ron, let's just wait and see what comes, now days with Paramount it's a toss of trhe dice!!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Return as defective.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There is zero reason for any new release not to look astoundingly good, regardless of format.

Unless elements no longer exist.

I'll say it again. I'd not suggest pre-ordering anything from Paramount.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
So Ron,
Was it as bad as reported?

You mentioned returning an opened item, but didn’t mention your personal viewing experience

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Might as well stick with the iTunes digital, then.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks