What's new

Robert Harris on The Bits-Interview with Columbia's Grover Crisp Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Bill Hunt

Insider
The Digital Bits is very pleased to bring you another in-depth interview Robert Harris has conducted with Grover Crisp, the Vice President of Asset Management and Film Restoration for Sony Pictures Entertainment. Robert and Grover discuss in-depth the process of bringing Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove to DVD in the studio's new 2-disc, 40th Anniversary Edition. We hope you enjoy it! Here's the link:

A Robert A. Harris Interview - Columbia's Grover Crisp on Dr. Strangelove

Click on the link to read the full interview and then come on back here to this official thread at the HTF to discuss, give feedback, ask questions of Robert and sound off as you will. Best wishes to all of you!

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Nice interview thanks.

It is sad that there is no negative left for Dr Strangelove. It is ironic that the way we consume film has changed so much now that the ability to convert films to home video formats is so important, where as in the Classical Hollywood era once a film was made that was it. Sure it was kept, but it wasn't really thought that re-issuing films was the way you make money.

I hope Columbia has Advise and Consent in the works :) I say that without wanting to turn this thread into a why won't X release Y thread :)

Apart from that, greater news regarding Major Dundee. I got the new MGM release of Straw Dogs, and was very happy with the quality, considering the price relative to the Criterion. I haven't seen Major Dundee but Peckinpah is a director that I will blind buy anything of his that comes out now. I hope Warner reissue The Wild Bunch as an SE. It was probably the 3rd or 4th DVD that I bought, I recently got a new widescreen TV, and now I realise that the quality is actually VERY poor compared with DVDs made now of films of that same vintage.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What an astonishing find by Grover Crisp's team; I never thought we'd see a longer cut of Major Dundee and I'm so excited at the prospect. This, plus the hoped for box set from Warners - rumoured to contain that longed for The Wild Bunch SE and a longer cut of Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid - means that 2005 will be a great year for fans of Sam Peckinpah.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
In the chat with the Warner people early this year they also mentioned preparing Ballad of Cable Hogue. They mentioned some sort of promotion - I hope that does mean a boxed set :)

It is amazing how good I thought the Wild Bunch DVD was, I think I was just glad seeing it letterboxed. It's funny how high standards become as soon as one gets a widescreen TV and progressive scan DVD player :)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Wonderful read - I would love to read Grover's thoughts on the 1776 restoration undertaken some 3 years ago.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A great read! I just watched the widescreen dvd release of "Castle Keep" and the dvd presentation was excellent. As I watched the dvd, my thoughts went back to 1969, when I first experienced that beautifully shot film in a movie theater. I appreciate Columbia's effort in making sure this film was released on dvd in the anamorphic widescreen format. Also, great news about Major Dundee and I hope Columbia releases some more of their great westerns onto dvd.

RAH,
Do you know why "Cowboy" starring Glenn Ford and Jack Lemmon wasn't released onto dvd in anamorphic widescreen format? There has always been a question about it's aspect ratio and now, I'm wondering if it was actually shot full frame then matted down when shown in the theaters?

Crawdaddy

Charles H

Screenwriter
I think that ADVISE AND CONSENT is owned by WarnerBrothers via some deal with the Preminger estate. They brought out a nice letterboxed VHS tape a couple of years ago.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Another great interview!

I'm really impressed by Columbia's work on Dr. Strangelove, even from a broadcast on TCM. After seeing the "Xeroxed" version on VHS and TV for years, the improved image is really obvious.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Thanks again to RAH for another great interview with the people at the top in home video. And thanks to Grover Crisp for his work, it seems clear that us HTFers can look forward to being happy to hear from him whenever he has something he can share with us.

Way to go Patrick with the shout-out from a true home video pezzonovante! Holla! :D

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Another great interview, thank you Mr Harris.

If Mr Crisp is reading this I was wondering if there's any chance for a full "restoration" of Jason & the Argonauts - perhaps modern digital technology can remove some of the visible matte lines and wires and a remixed 5.1 track in addition to the original mono would be a fantastic addition to this fantasy classic from the incomparable Mr Harryhausen

M

larry bender

Stunt Coordinator
In regard to IN COLD BLOOD some of the black levels are TERRIBLE in particular the night scene that actually recreates the murders. Any chance of seeing these Columbia films released on dvd? YOUNG WINSTON / EDUCATING RITA / SLAVES OF NEW YORK

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome news about Dundee! I wonder if Peckinpah had different music in place. I remember reading that the existing score was done after Peckinpah was fired and was very hated, and was a big part of the "damage" done to the movie.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Wow. I had given up all hope of seeing any of the missing footage from Major Dundee. This is great news. I hope that they consider including the additional audio with no corresponding picture information in some form on the DVD.:emoji_thumbsup:

Hmmm? Upon re-reading the interview, it sounds like there is an additional 12 minutes in both the separations and the unearthed DME audio track. I mis-interpreted the term "incomplete" the first time, and glossed over the part where Mr. Crisp said that the audio track matched the separations.

Regards,

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Hats off to Columbia's Gover Crisp(!) for having the courage and dedication in releasing Dr. Strangelove in its theatrical ratio, and for the excellent quality of the disc.

Hopefully, Warners will see fit to release theatrical AR releases of its SK catalog...

excellent interview.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks