What's new

Rob, Laura, Buddy and Sally are coming to blu ray in October (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man /t/322051/rob-laura-buddy-and-sally-are-coming-to-blu-ray-in-october#post_3952832
Latest news from TVSOD says that Image did go back to the original 35 mm masters for the upcoming bluray release...

Did the Standard Def releases by Image a few years ago NOT use the original 35 mm masters? If not, what did they use?

Gary "if these are completely restored prints - completely different from what was used in the previous releases - I'll eat my fair share of humble pie because I'd have bet plenty Image wasn't going to do that" O.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ Just a guess but I'd say that they used 35mm prints rather than the 35mm negatives. Even if the DVDs came from the negatives, the Blu-rays have to be new transfers because the DVDs weren't from HD masters.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by TravisR /t/322051/rob-laura-buddy-and-sally-are-coming-to-blu-ray-in-october#post_3952853
Just a guess but I'd say that they used 35mm prints rather than the 35mm negatives. Even if the DVDs came from the negatives, the Blu-rays have to be new transfers because the DVDs weren't from HD masters.

All I know is that the original dvds were advertised as being restored/remastered. And they look awfully good to me on my upconverting dvd player. I'd think there's only so much of an upgrade the blu-ray release can offer U-N-L-E-S-S one of two things has happened:

1) Image is using a vastly superior source to begin with (one that's much better than what they used for the SDVD releases)

2) Image actually went to the trouble of "cleaning up" or restoring the prints beyond what was done for the SDVD release.

I realize that transferring the prints to HD enhances the picture in and of itself, so that's a given. But I want to know if anything beyond that has been done.

Gary "the dvds looked so good I'm hard-pressed to imagine the picture being improved so much more as to make a double-dip worth it for me" O.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
All I know is that the original dvds were advertised as being restored/remastered.
Yeah but since they didn't specify that it was "From a high definition transfer" or something along those lines means that they were using an SD source. That being said, I don't think anyone is going to watch the show on Blu-ray and say "You haven't experienced The Dick Van Dyke Show until you've seen it in high def!" :)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I thought the DVDs looked quite good but not as good as the better CBS/P releases which truly were from HD masters. If Image truly has harvested the OCNs for this release and done additional clean up it should look spectacular. I've seen HD snippets of The Andy Griffith Show on TV (part of the Pioneers of Television series on PBS) and it was unbelievably sharp; no reason that TDVDS shouldn't be that good if the negatives were properly stored.

Unfortunately Image has apparently chosen not to include English subtitles for the BD release. That, in my opinion, should be a given for something with this kind of price tag and may cost them some sales (aside from enthusiasts on this forum, this release will skew towards an older demographic). Hopefully this info will prove incorrect as that is the only downside I can see to what otherwise should be a topnotch release.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve...O /t/322051/rob-laura-buddy-and-sally-are-coming-to-blu-ray-in-october#post_3952915
I thought the DVDs looked quite good but not as good as the better CBS/P releases which truly were from HD masters.

You'll get no argument from me on that point, Steve. I'm just not sure that the picture quality would be great enough to entice me to double-dip on a series I paid top dollar for when it was first released so many years ago. If the dvds had been poor quality I'd be tempted to think about it, but as it stands now I'm not apt to upgrade. But that's just me. More power to those that can and/or wish to.

Gary "as always, good to see you posting my friend" O.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Gary. I'm not sure I'll bite on this one yet as much as I'd like to. Like you, I paid a fair amount of $$$ for the initial releases which were stellar. There would have to be a significant upgrade to the PQ and the addition of subtitles, etc. to warrant a very expensive double dip. Costco was selling the BD version of Image's Twilight Zone for something like $40 a season which is cheaper than what Amazon wants for Van Dyke so perhaps we'll see similar deals on this.

Regardless, this is one of the top 2 or 3 sitcoms of all time in my book and I'm glad to see this release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks