What's new

Rob, Laura, Buddy and Sally are coming to blu ray in October (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Blu Ray . Com has a note stating that Image is showing the Complete Dick Van Dyke Show will be released on blu ray in October. $349.98 MSRP (ouch). The SD complete series set had a $249.99 list and was heavily discounted. Will be a 15 disc set.
http://www.watchimage.com/product/dick-van-dyke-show-the-complete-series-the/bcb9c42c-b5e9-471e-96ca-9c0e00e9aab3#tabs-2

tvgreats

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
Wow!! Thanks for the great news. As far as I Love Lucy, i think theres a pretty good chance that it will also see a Blu-ray release in the near future.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Garysb said:
Blu Ray . Com has a note stating that Image is showing the Complete Dick Van Dyke Show will be released on blu ray in October. No word on pricing yet. Will be a 15 disc set.
It seems like a completely indoor three-camera show is an odd choice for BD. I can see Twilight Zone or Star Trek, since they are shot one-camera like feature films. Anyway, I guess fans of the show will be excited.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Isn't 15 discs a bit on the low side? I've never bought a tv series in Blu-Ray, but I thought the capacity in terms of hours for HD content on a Blu-Ray was fairly comparable to that of SD on a DVD?
Yet this series was 25 discs on DVD. I hope they're not going to negatively affect picture quality to keep the disc count down since the entire point of a Blu-Ray release of this is enhanced picture quality.
Hope the packaging is improved as well. Don't like that flap on the front of the complete DVD set.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I would never have thought that The Dick Van Dyke Show, as much as I love it, would have beaten I Love Lucy to the Blu-ray gate.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
LeoAmes said:
Isn't 15 discs a bit on the low side?
Never say never but I don't think it shouldn't be a problem. I've seen modern TV shows with 6 hour long episodes (or a little over 4 hours of content) per disc. If they have about the same amount of time for The Dick Van Dyke Show, it should be OK. Especially when Dick Van Dyke will only have a mono track rather than a DTS-MA soundtrack taking up alot more space.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Really surprised by this. I was under the impression that the transfers on the dvds were not high def, so I wonder if all new transfers were done, or if I had bad info before. (Although they certainly never looked high-def to me, a la The Twilight Zone: Definitive Edition dvds.) Depending on the quality, I may have to upgrade. LOVE this series.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Very surprised to see this released, but a good sign that filmed catalog TV series may find a home on BD. The only drawback on the original release was the lack of any English subtitles on the episodes and I was hoping that would be fixed here but it doesn't look like it. I'm also interested in hearing if all new transfers were done because my impression was the same as JohnMor's above concerning the original discs.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
It's good to see them finally trying a few classic series on blu. My prediction was Star Trek TOS, then I Love Lucy. Instead it was more like Star Trek, The Twilight Zone and Dick Van Dyke. Whatever happens, I hope it's hardly the end of revisiting these shows for blu. I think if the dvd is 10 or more years old, then the studios should seriously consider reissuing some of them anyway.
Was that lone 2004 episode on the old dvd set? I think they should include it, one way or another. (It was stupid, but...)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ethan Riley said:
It's good to see them finally trying a few classic series on blu. My prediction was Star Trek TOS, then I Love Lucy. Instead it was more like Star Trek, The Twilight Zone and Dick Van Dyke. Whatever happens, I hope it's hardly the end of revisiting these shows for blu. I think if the dvd is 10 or more years old, then the studios should seriously consider reissuing some of them anyway.
Was that lone 2004 episode on the old dvd set? I think they should include it, one way or another. (It was stupid, but...)
The thing is, Trek is a cult show that will always sell.
But TZ and DVDS? Image has the distribution rights, and are probably more willing to be adventurous with their limited catalog than CBS is with their large catalog.
And no, the 2004 special wasn't on the DVDs.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The Obsolete Man said:
And no, the 2004 special wasn't on the DVDs.
True but the other special which was a clip and interview show hosted by Charles Kuralt was included. The Dick Van Dyke Show Remembered I believe it was called.
Here is a clip from that show.

And here is a clip of Dick Van Dyke and the original Broadway cast of Bye Bye Birdie on the Ed Sullivan Show. This has nothing to do with anything but its great that it exists.

There are things I wish were included which probably will not be because Image doesn't have the rights. The special " Dick Van Dyke and the other Woman " from 1969 which was the first reunion of Dick and Mary and lead to Mary being offered her own TV show. The sketch from Mary's variety show where Dick and Mary play Rob and Laura again. It was not very funny but it sure would be great on a complete set.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
From a poster at the Steve Hoffman forum (on a thread about this release). This particular poster, known as "Vidiot", works in the industry and is often very nice in sharing his info:

35mm Kodak B&W 4-perf stock, I believe 5222 Double X. For a variety of reasons, I don't believe Viacom was willing to use the negatives for the scans -- I believe they were all mastered from 35mm finegrain prints, which are low-speed contact prints taken off the camera negatives. They look absolutely fine, just 1 generation away from the originals.

Source: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=290555

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
If they're new transfers, I'm looking forward to seeing the Christmas episode. I still think there is something missing in that episode since there's a very sloppy transition in there where one scene ends abruptly and almost immediately with the next scene instantly starting.
It's the only instance throughout the series where the transition didn't seem natural and logical. It just seems sloppy and as if there was something there that's now missing that bridged things together a bit better.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Since I only paid $67 for the complete series on DVD, I will consider the blu-ray upgrade. But it better be on sale.

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
With this and Twlight Zone, Image is now 2 for 2 on bringing my absolute favorite classic TV series to Blu-ray. I can't believe this is being released!

The price point, while understandable, is going to be hard to swallow in one sitting (insert a Buddy joke about Pickle's cooking here).

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Patrick Mason /t/322051/rob-laura-buddy-and-sally-are-coming-to-blu-ray-in-october#post_3951848
With this and Twlight Zone, Image is now 2 for 2 on bringing my absolute favorite classic TV series to Blu-ray. I can't believe this is being released!

The price point, while understandable, is going to be hard to swallow in one sitting (insert a Buddy joke about Pickle's cooking here).

BUDDY: (Regarding Pickles) "Sometimes I look at her and wonder. And sometimes I just look."

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
LeoAmes said:
If they're new transfers, I'm looking forward to seeing the Christmas episode. I still think there is something missing in that episode since there's a very sloppy transition in there where one scene ends abruptly and almost immediately with the next scene instantly starting.
It's the only instance throughout the series where the transition didn't seem natural and logical. It just seems sloppy and as if there was something there that's now missing that bridged things together a bit better.
Latest news from TVSOD says that Image did go back to the original 35 mm masters for the upcoming bluray release...
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dick-Van-Dyke-The-Complete-Series/17268

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks