What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

RIP Barrie Maxwell (The Digital Bits Classic Movie & TV columnist passed away July 10) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Barrie Maxwell will be missed by many readers of Bill Hunt's "The Digital Bits" site. Barrie contribuited periodic "Classic Movie & TV" release news columns and reviews of the classic releases.
Bill's daily post for today (July 11 in the States) is here

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
RIP Mr. Maxwell! I always enjoyed his posts there tremendously. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and all his loved ones.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
A crushing loss for the classic film community, even if we sensed it might be coming soon. I really feel for the DigitalBits guys for this, especially with Comic Con launching tomorrow. Going to be a tough weekend for them.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
The same here. His Classic Coming Attractions was by far my favorite part of the Bits.

Originally Posted by JohnMor /t/322199/rip-barrie-maxwell-the-digital-bits-classic-movie-tv-columnist-passed-away-july-10#post_3947573
RIP Mr. Maxwell! I always enjoyed his posts there tremendously. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and all his loved ones.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I was really hoping this news would never come. Like everyone here, I really enjoyed Barrie's work. When it came to classic films, he was one of the best anywhere.

I feel fortunate that I got to meet and talk to Barrie at the 2001 HTF national meet, and tell him in person how much I enjoyed his writing. He was the nicest, humblest guy you could ever hope to meet.

My heart goes out to Bill and the Bits staff, and especially to Barrie's family.

R.I.P., Barrie. You will be missed.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Barrie was one of my van-mates at the 2004 HTF Meet and I am sorry to hear the news of his passing. He was a quiet man like myself, but good humored and clearly very humble.

My thoughts go out to his friends and family.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have to admit to being a little surprised by this news. I knew he had been having health problems, but I had no idea they were so serious. I am deeply saddened by this, and I'll be thinking about his family over these next few days. A real tragedy.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for letting us know, Jeff. This is very sad news. I haven't been at the other site in quite some time and wasn't aware of his challenges. During the heyday of classic movies on DVD though his column was one I looked forward to more than any other. We even exchanged a few e-mails. HIs enthusiasm for the hobby really shone though those e-mails as it did his column. I'll be praying for Barrie and his family.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve...O /t/322199/rip-barrie-maxwell-the-digital-bits-classic-movie-tv-columnist-passed-away-july-10#post_3947718
Thanks for letting us know, Jeff. This is very sad news. I haven't been at the other site in quite some time and wasn't aware of his challenges. During the heyday of classic movies on DVD though his column was one I looked forward to more than any other. We even exchanged a few e-mails. HIs enthusiasm for the hobby really shone though those e-mails as it did his column. I'll be praying for Barrie and his family.

Our experiences mirror each other, Steve. I had stopped following the Bits site, but always loved Barrie's columns and in the heyday (as you called it) considered that required reading. I too will offer up prayers for the entire family.

Gary "very sorry to hear this news" O.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Very sad news. I have been reading his collumns for years, and I still have been checking back periodically to see if he had a new post. I email ed him several times, particularly regarding Errol Flynn titles that we both like a lot. He was always very responsive and very nice. In the world of classic film/tv fans, this is a very big loss. He will be missed.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I was very sad to hear of Barrie's passing - I was hopeful and wishing him every success on his road to recovery. I, too, throughly enjoyed reading his colums on a regular basis - his knowledge of, and passion for, classic movies came through quite clearly in his writing.
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
Regards

DrJohnnyDiablo

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Fetterley
I always looked forward to Mr. Maxwell's columns and will miss his informative reviews and obvious enthusiasm for classic film.
Rest in peace, Barrie Maxwell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks