What's new

Ridley Scott's BLACK RAIN - SE DVD soon? (1 Viewer)

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
Not only is it one of my favorite movies, it has a beautiful, powerful score from my man Mr. Hans Zimmer (one of my many favorites of his). Too bad that there wasn't a true score soundtrack for this movie, only bootlegs. I would be all over a special edition of this film, especially if it had a dedicated score track!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Having a lot of Ridley's catalog in lavish SEs and the rest in barebones releases is a bit painful. I would love SEs of Black Rain, GI Jane, Someone to Watch Over Me, White Squall - and obviously and most importantly, Blade Runner and 1492: Conquest of Paradise. These last two are must-haves, and as soon as possible, please...

This topic gets raised every once in a while. I believe I started one thread myself in the past...

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Finally sprung for used copies of BR and WS ($6 & $7) awhile back, just couldn't keep waiting.

BB is actually selling WS new for $6 now.

Both transfers are OK..but not too great.

BR has alot of smoke and haze, more resolution would have helped.

WS has some great locations and visuals, which windup being blurred and smeared.

Would like to see SEs for both, but then I'd have to wait for them to come down too.

CraigL

Screenwriter
I guess if there's one to be had, it will be the new HD-DVD version announced today. :frowning:

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps that's a sign that a remastered video track is available and putting together a regular SE dvd is entirely possible?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Unforunately, I would expect that work on an HD format edition means that there will be no future SD edition. :frowning:

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
Fresh of the presses:

Paramount HD-DVD

New Titles - The Manchurian Candidate, Spongebob Squarepants, Elizabethtown, Coach Carter, The Italian Job, School of Rock, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Catalog Titles - Forrest Gump, Braveheart, Ghost, Grease, Mission Impossible 2, Black Rain, Save the Last Dance, Sleepy Hollow, U2: Rattle and Hum, Vanilla Sky, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, Star Trek: First Contact, We Were Soldiers

John Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
Wouldnt the same hi def master be used to create both versions (DVD and HD-DVD)?

I cant see them not releasing it on SD aswell,as that will be by far its biggest seller?

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I'd also like to see a SD-DVD Black Rain Special Edition from Paramount. I'm not going to take-on HD-DVD until the prices drop alot on the players and if the software is marked down too. I guess I'll have to wait a few years but thanks to those early adopters who'll start making things happen.
My feeling is HD-DVD is going to live and Blu-Ray is going to die due to the fact the DVD name is highly recognisable and familiar. This is only my opinion but only time and marketability will tell.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I dun unnerstan. BLACK RAIN?

How come this happens: We get a 2-disc super special everything-and-the-kitchen-sink, super awesome-looking transfer DVD release of a movie like... GANGS OF NEW YORK; while GOODFELLAS gets TWO barebones DVD releases that can not either of them get it right? GOODFELLAS! And THE AVIATOR (which some reviewer claimed was Scorsese's "best film since RAGING BULL"!) will probably be out in a super duper all-hands-on-deck multi-disc DVD edition before we even see RAGING BULL in a new form.

And here we're talking about getting BLACK RAIN and still waiting for BLADE RUNNER and 1492? Where's 1492? What's wrong with it that I can't get 1492 on DVD? Is there some flaw in the system that is keeping it from being on DVD?

I just don't get it.

Can someone explain the seeming illogic of this to me? Why are releases so illogical?

MC

Bo_Darville

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bo
picked up a used copy. despite what the cover says, this dvd definitely did not sound like it was mixed in dolby 5.1 EX (i have to claim false advertising).

oh, and this movie was not underrated. definitely not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks