What's new

Ridley Scott's BLACK RAIN - SE DVD soon? (1 Viewer)

Martin_KA

Agent
I'm a huge fan of Black Rain
I already have the first DVD release of it, even though the transfer is really bad.
Does anyone know if Paramount is planning on releasing a SE of this movie, or at least a new transfer?

thanks

Mark E J

Second Unit
I heard a while back that a 2 disc SE along the lines of Ridley Scott's other work was in production but not planed for release until late 2003 or 2004.

Kenneth Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Folks,

Just checking in to see if there's any news on the possibility of Ridley Scott doing a brand-new transfer / "Special Edition" DVD for his, IMHO, underrated film "BLACK RAIN"?

I remember reading on... Digital Bits(?) a few years back about an interview w/ Ridley Scott & his production company, and they mentioned that they wanted to revisit this film on DVD and give it the full treatment. (versus the horrible job Paramount did the 1st time :frowning:)

So any news on that? :)

Ed Francisco

Stunt Coordinator
This would be a great, great movie to re-do as an SE. One of my favorite Michael Douglas movies.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I believe Charlie was working on several Ridley Scott discs(IIRC) maybe he will chime in with an answer. I personally would love an SE or just the disc remastered in anamorphic.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yes, Black Rain is a very underrated film. I love this movie and a new transfer is well deserved. Although we are so close to hd-dvd, I would love to see it on that.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
I would love to see a "Black Rain" Special Edition happen. Personally, I think it's Ridley's most underrated film. A new transfer was done a while back for HD broadcast and its beautiful. A significant improvement over the previous transfer that was released on DVD, and with better framing too.

Hopefully, someday...

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Ok so I guess its up to Paramount(which isn't too keen it seems on releasing SE's after the fact). I guess we can only hope.

Kenneth Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the update. Sigh. That new HD transfer sounds wonderful! :)

Can you elaborate a bit further on whether the "Black Rain" SE DVD is held up because of Paramount/studio wishes, or if it's just Ridley is too busy and can't do it right now? (or both?)

Thanks!

JasonTil

Agent
I remember reading something about a special edition of this visually stunning film about 6 months ago. Anyone heard anything new lately

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Are you talking about the 1989 Ridley Scott helmed, starring Michael Douglas, Andy Garcia, Ken Takakura and Kate Capshaw film?

CraigL

Screenwriter
Yes he is. There were rumors that Ridley Scott was working on his typical special editions but nothing yet. I would LOVE to see this movie in a special edition. The current anamorphic release is pretty barebones and has one of the typical crappy Paramount 5.1 remixes. I remember the laserdisc and *gasp* VHS sounding so much better in the surrounds. I hate those remixes.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Ooops! I meant NON-anamorphic! I knew that but typed the wrong thing.

Sorry guys.

Any deleted scenes on this one of note? Anyone ever read the script? I know there were a few hinted at in the trailer.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
A Black rain SE would be sweet. I like that movie. It is one of my favorite three Ridley Scott movies (the other two are Blade Runner and Alien).

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks