What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Starting his career in television, John Frankenheimer made his directorial debut with The Young Stranger (1957), an experience that – by his own account – wasn’t all that great. When he made his second movie The Young Savages (1961), he would soon hit a major stride during the rest of the decade with a string of critical and commercial hits – and some that would later be reappraised positively – including The Manchurian Candidate (1962), Seven Days in May (1964), The Train (1965), Seconds (1966) and Grand Prix (also 1966). The 1970’s were more of a feast or famine decade for Frankenheimer, which Black Sunday falls into the former category. Paramount released the movie on DVD and Imprint released a Region Free Blu-ray, but Arrow has given the movie its first Blu-ray release here in the States.

Black Sunday (1977)

Released: 01 Apr 1977...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
I've always been curious about this movie - amazing director, and how far wrong can you go with Robert Shaw?

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
By coincidence I found one store copy in stock this past week and picked it up. Having seen it during its original release, it quickly rose to the top ranks in my estimation of the type of edge of the seat thrillers of its era, thanks to Frankenheimer’s always astute managing of the action and interplay among the characters. I’m looking forward to seeing this edition which will better the old DVD by a wide margin, I’m confident.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
The ending seems to just kind of lay there for me but it does built nicely. I have to wonder if I should wait for. 4K.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Great to hear this is a big improvement over previous releases as the movie is a favorite of mine so I will be getting this.

Moleman X

Agent
Real Name
Rob Peace
I never knew the shoddy effects work in the finale was due to a time crunch, but that makes sense. If the effects don't ruin the finale, they certainly give it a hard knee to the groin. Everything up to the Super Bowl attack had such a flawless level of verisimilitude. The switchover was jarring, even to my 15-year-old eyes. I still think it's a very very good film, but it's maybe the one movie they could buff up with CGI and I wouldn't squawk.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
I have the Imprint Blu-ray. Is there a difference with the Arrow release?
- the windowboxed opening sequence has been corrected
- the audio commentary is by someone who actually knows a great deal about the film's production and history, unlike the one on the Imprint

It's one of my top 10 favorite films, I have both discs. :)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yes, a much better job on this commentary than the other release, especially since this one also goes into the background of the original novel and notes the changes made from book to screen. The first commentary even missed Frankenheimer's cameo as the Super Bowl TV director. The only thing the new release lacks is the trailer (which reveals deleted material from the climax) and a feature on John Williams score.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks