What's new

Replacement driver or new sub? (1 Viewer)

brently

Auditioning
Real Name
Brent Taylor
Hello everyone. It's been a long time since I posted on this site, but the advice has always been good, so here goes. I've had an Adire Audio Rava subwoofer in my system for years, and have always loved it's performance on movies and especially music, but recently during an incredibly loud and low scene in "Eragon" the sub gave up the ghost, and now just has a crackly, dull sound. I believe the driver is done, and now I need some sort of replacement. I've tried to contact Adire Audio, but it appears they are next to impossible to get a hold of, and as I've read on another forum, they've "changed their business model". Should I look for a replacement driver, a different driver that still fits, or go with a new sub altogether? Budget is always a concern, but I miss my low end. Any help would be appreciated.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I know they redesigned the Rava and I am pretty sure it doesn't use that driver any longer, but I would think they still have some available for replacements. I'm sure the specs for that driver can be found online somewhere, possibly even on their site, and you can then choose a replacement driver that has similar specs.

I run a 15" Tempest from them and I am quite happy with it, but I haven't tried to contact them in recent times.

Brent_S

Second Unit
The Secret's review of the Rava says the warranty was 3 years.

The Rava used the Shiva driver. Parts-Express' DVC12 is a virtual clone and should be a drop in replacement. Depending on the net internal volume of the cabinet, PE's RS12-HiFi or TC Sounds db500-12 may also be suitable.

A DIY ported sub with any of these drivers will give you more and lower output than the sealed Rava. Depends on how handy your are at building boxes.

The usual suspects of ID subwoofer manufacturers like Hsu, SVS, Elemental Designs, etc. are your best candidates for bang for the buck if you go for a full replacement. Even the SVS PB10 would probably offer more ouput and lowend than the Rava.

-Brent

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Brently,

First, remove the woofer and check it. Make sure the subwoofer is disconnected from the AC and the rest of the AV system of course. Then remove the woofer. Once the woofer is out, the easiest way to test it without any equipment is to apply the voltage from a common household battery(aa,aaa,c,d)to the terminals on the woofer. You should see the cone of the woofer move about 1/4" with a soft "tump" sound. If the cone doesn't move...you found your problem.

If you need a shiva let me know. I know I have 1-2 around here somewhere( left over from my DIY days in the 1990s..:) )

Tom V.
SVS

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Take Tom up on his offer. Kyle at Acoustic-Visions had a special run of the Shiva classic a few months ago but it is sold out again. Probably forever.

The Dayton DVC mentioned earlier is physically, a drop in replacement. The only problem is that it works best in a 1.2cf sealed box. Your Rava box is larger. It would bottom out on the bass heavy scenes at medium to high volume.

The db-500 mentioned is a great upgrade but it requires an 11.25" hole. The Shiva/Dayton only need an 11" cutout. It won't fit unless they made the hole oversized.

Another option would be the TC-1000 since it only requires an 11.05" cutout but you will be at the minimum on box size and underpowering it.

If you are dead set on a driver upgrade, the SD12 from CSS/Acoustic-Visions would be a good choice. It will drop right in and should perform very well in the Rava cabinet.

-Robert

brently

Auditioning
Real Name
Brent Taylor
Tom I sent you a PM. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help. I have long wanted to step up to an SVS, but the budget dictates something else right now.

brently

Auditioning
Real Name
Brent Taylor
Good to know that I was on the right track with my research, Robert. I talked to CSS yesterday, and they recommended the SD12 as a replacement. I had settled on that until I got Tom's post. Thanks again for the help.

Brent_S

Second Unit

I have to respectfully disagree in case TomV's offer doesn't work out for the OP.

According to my models, the DVC12 actually wants about 1.75 ft^3 for a Q of .701. 1.2 ft^3 would give you a Q of .794.

I'd estimate the Rava's internal volume at 2.3 ft^3 gross assuming .75" material and guessing 2" for the height of the toe kick base. With 250 watts in that volume, the DVC12 won't exceed it's Dumax tested Xmax until below 20hz. There's still a few mm left over for Xsus before actual bottoming. The Rava's amp most likely has a rumble filter around 20hz further making the risk of over excursion a non-issue with either the Shiva or DVC12.

Now if TomV would just offer a garage sell on all of the toys he has sitting around gathering dust. :)

-Brent

Brent_S

Second Unit

Assuming my estimate above of 2.3 ft^3 volume for the Rava cabinet is correct, the DVC12 would yield 1-2db more output across the board. The SD12 is no doubt a better driver...the Shiva/DVC12 is an 8 year old design, but it's underpowered with 250 watts.

-Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks