What's new

Red Dwarf - DVD Release Announced (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
At what point will you guys stop buying the series as they come out? I think I'd sooner watch a boxed set devoted exclusively to Wesley Crusher's scenes in ST:TNG than watch the last series again.

On a less negative note, in the UK there was at least one video released of blooper reels (called 'smeg ups' or soemthing similar) and I seem to recall a 'making of' documentary, so there's scope for some reasonable extras.

David Allum

Stunt Coordinator
there is definitely more than 1 outtakes tape
There are two in the UK: Smeg Ups and Smeg Outs, each running 51 minutes. There's also Red Dwarf VII Extended containing extended versions of three episodes from series 7, more smeg ups, and the full length Rimmer Munchkin song.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
At what point will you guys stop buying the series as they come out? I think I'd sooner watch a boxed set devoted exclusively to Wesley Crusher's scenes in ST:TNG than watch the last series again.
Well, I'm definitely getting 1-3 (season 2 being my favourite). As for 4&5, there were a couple of standout eps amongst some rather poor ones. I'll get those too. 6&7 I'll get as I'm a completist, even though I was less than impressed with them. The series was definitely a lot worse off after one of the writers (Rob Grant?) left. However, I did like season 8 (first half, anyway); I thought it was almost a return to form.
So I suppose that's all the RD DVDs for me then. :)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
It's in Brian's sig, but it remains my fave Dwarf quote of all time;

"Go to RED alert!"

"Are you quite sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb."

Dan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I love all the series!

FULL LENGTH Rimmmer munchkin song? I love that scene! How much longer does it go???

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Series I-VI for me. There is rarely a duff episode from these 36 and each series has some total classics.
VII sucked BIIIG time, though in the 'extended' versions the lack of canned laughter made the episodes slightly better.
VIII was better than VII by a looong way but still relied way too much on the pathetic notion that slapstick was humourous. :angry:

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Well yes, except the BBC has been guilty of 'tweaking' such audience tracks in front of the recording before. I was in the audience that saw the first 2.95 episodes of League of Gentlemen, but somehow they got laughter all over all the episodes and it sounded pretty OTT compared to being there.

It's a reaction thing. The live audience with the cast play off each other better...

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I hated the first season when it was first broadcast. The strange thing is that, having seen the later good series (i.e. all but the last two) the first series, on re-viewing, seems far funnier.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I saw the first series when it first appeared and loved it totally. It's a little clunky now but it has a strong sci-fi plot element that I feel didn't come back until almost Series 6 with episodes like Legion...

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
What's weird about the first one is that it's almost like a normal sit-com, but in space. They didn't meet anyone (or anything) new and it was generally just banter between the 3 leads.

Ahh, Legion.

Best. Episode. Ever.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Hmm. Not sure it's the best episode ever. That would go to either The Inquisitor or, going way back, Stasis Leak in series 2. Something about that final farcical scene with Rimmers just destroys me...:D

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Legion? IMHO a very forgettable episode (since I've forgotten it!).
Season 2's Queeg is my favourite, with season 3's Polymorph coming a close second.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks