What's new

Red Dwarf - DVD Release Announced (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Well now I have to dish out more fave quotes:
Lister: "Imagine making love to a woman with SIX breasts!"
Rimmer: "....Imagine making love to a woman!"
Lister: "This is insaine. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flinstone?
Cat: "You're right. This is an insaine conversation!"
Lister: "She'd never leave Fred and we know it"
:D
Dan

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
Legion? IMHO a very forgettable episode (since I've forgotten it!).

Season 2's Queeg is my favourite, with season 3's Polymorph coming a close second.
Well, we are in disagreement there, mate. Besides Polymorph, which is the episode that got me into Red Dwarf, Legion rules in that it is the perfect showcase for all the characters and their personalities. It's also got great sci-fi elements and a good mix of jokes and slapstick.

Queeg? Eh, it's OK.

Also, can someone explain to me what's so god-awful about series VII? I'm currently watching this set and, besides the crappy video look, I think it is funny and interesting (like the fact that they had JFK kill himself from behind the grassy knoll).

TheoGB

Screenwriter
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Man, VII is just not Red Dwarf. Off the top of my head:
* Little or no Rimmer - when he is there he's not the Rimmer we came to know and hate.
* Kryten becomes a nanny-like piteous character. A far cry from the android that knew he was the smartest member of the crew and took the piss out of them.
* Chloe Annett - good in other things but after CP Grogan's Kochanski she's a total washout - pathetic.
* The assumption that really bad slapstick works or is indeed remotely anything to do with Red Dwarf (cf when they are in the air conditioning or whatever it is).
* The laugh track - canned or not, it just sounds bad compared to what went before. Or maybe it's just that the series isn't funny any more. :frowning:
I think the lack of live audience and Rimmer made a big difference as you'll see in Red Dwarf VIII, because it becomes better, but there's still this reliance on some really badly done slapstick. I dunno, it just didn't work for me.:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
White Hole gets my vote for best episode, with Rimmerworld running a close second.
Series VII isn't that bad, (the worst part of Red Dwarf... the David Ross Kryten and his makeup!), it had its moments like the rest of the series. It gets my vote for the single funniest sight gag in the whole series: Kryten appearing in Jane Austen World with a Tank.
Series VIII was more deeply flawed, as it seemed more bound than Series 1, with the boys stuck in prison for the majority of the episodes. The Prison stuff really didn't work for me.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Legion's the guy who gives Rimmer the 'hard light' hologram...
Ah yes, I remember now. No I didn't like that episode. In fact that's what I dislike about latter Red Dwarf: they introduce SF elements that are so blatant, and the audience is treated like they're completely non-SF-savvy. And they continually use Kryten as an exposition tool... and then those awful running jokes (well, one bad joke repeated between each bit of Kryten exposition, e.g. Cat's "deader than..." line). In short, RD was best, IMHO, when it was a comedy that happened to be set in space, rather than a science fiction series trying to be funny.

"That's mine! And this is mine! ..."

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
Series VIII was more deeply flawed, as it seemed more bound than Series 1, with the boys stuck in prison for the majority of the episodes. The Prison stuff really didn't work for me.
I agree with this. While it was great seeing Rimmer again, them being stuck in jail got old quick.
But you gotta love Rimmer kneeing Death in the nuts :D

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
My guide is that Red Dwarf was only really worth watching when Holly was female.
My guide is the other way around. :) Norman Lovett is the best deadpan comedian there is, and that's a brand of humour that really appeals to me.

Users who are viewing this thread