Red Dwarf - DVD Release Announced

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by parin_patel, Apr 19, 2002.

1. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

I've been looking out any info regarding the DVD release for this great series for a while, and found this information on their website: redwarf.co.uk

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Unremastered versions? Is this a good thing?

3. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Unremastered editions are a wonderful thing!!!
    I hate, absolutely hate, CGI tinkering after the fact. I want my Red Dwarf in it's pure original state.
    I'm so happy [​IMG]

4. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

Series I, II, and III were remastered and released with newly added visual effects and sounds a few years ago on VHS. Most fans of the show didn't like it that much, I personally liked the way how the originals looked. Anyway, basically having unremastered versions would be a good thing.

Parin

5. Scott Bell

Scott Bell Stunt Coordinator

This is great news. I'm glad that they are doing this right. Cant wait for Nov.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

That it's the original un-remastered versions is the Best News Possible. That's what the fans wanted, and I'm glad it's what we're getting.

The redone CGI & added "stuff" just didn't work well enough. It looked fake, it got in the way.

Two disk sets of each series is excellent, I was afraid they'd spread it out thinner like the VHS releases.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. It's been a long time since I've seen this show. [​IMG]

8. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

This is good news. I hope Blake's 7 is next.

9. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

This is indeed excellent news, but does anyone know what region they'll be in? Since the news is coming from a UK new site, I'm assuming R2....

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Don, to my knowledge, both regions. There was discussion here recently where someone here did ask BBC America about it and they said this year for R1.

VERY happy it is the original versions.

Dan

11. Richard Ruffner

Richard Ruffner Stunt Coordinator

That was my though to upon reading this thread, can Blake's 7 be far behind?

12. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

Actually, I have heard an unconfirmed report this week that BFS Entertainment has plans to release Blake's Seven in Region 1 this coming January (Fabulous Films has recently confirmed their Region 2 release of the series as well). However, the specs for the set are very dubious (all four seasons in a set crammed onto 10 disks, meaning five to six ~50 minute episodes per disk!) and BFS hasn't listed this on their website yet. Once I get a chance, I'll probably try emailing them for a confirmation (but they haven't ever responded to me in the past).

13. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

Finally, I'll get me smeggin' DVDs!!! I'm also excited about getting the "unremastered version" since I've only seen the ones with redone FX on my local PBS affiliate. And I missed Better Than Life, which I heard is one of their best!

14. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

This news is good. no it's better than good, it's

DANGEROUS

15. andrew markworthy

I just hope we get a better deal in R2 this time. With Black Adder, R1 got all the extras, R2 the plain vanilla version (for a BBC production for which the Brits payed licence money!).

16. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

For those wondering about the so-called "remastered editions", these boasted:
    1. Half the resolution (every other field was removed for that "filmic" effect)
    2. Image cropped at top and bottom for a 14:9 ratio
    3. Background music replaced with more "contemporary" music (now outdated!)
    4. CGI so poorly thought-out it makes your ears bleed - for example, a CGI scutter moving across the bottom of the screen, in a head-and-shoulders shot.
    Needless to say, I'm thrilled about getting the original versions. One caveat:

17. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

The first (and, to a lesser extent, the second) series looks more and more like Dark Star every time I watch it.

The balance of pathos and comedy, the sense of extreme isolation and loneliness (I adore the original, very bleak opening credits with trumpets and organ music) and even a few bits of philosophy chucked in make it a classic in my book.

18. Rollie

Rollie Stunt Coordinator

What the smeggin' smeg's he smeggin done, he's smeggin killed me!

Yes, once again shall I play the Red Dwarf drinking game!

19. Brian Kaz

Brian Kaz Second Unit

Man, I hope RD will look better than my Father Ted DVDs. Those look like EP recordings from a laserdisc.[​IMG]

20. Michael St. Clair

I just love how the word 'remastered' can be used every time somebody destroys something. 'Remastered' is now simply a marketing buzzword that is used as an excuse to do whatever hell you want and convince consumers they should have it. It ought to be false advertising.