What's new

Recommended Upgrade Order (1 Viewer)

ChristopherKen

Auditioning
I believe this should be the right place to put this, but I am not entirely sure.

I have a Kenwood HTB205 system, and I want to upgrade slowly to a whole new system. I have already replaced the mains with an older Kenwood floor speaker, but would like to eventually replace those as well.

My question is, if it is not feasible to replace the whole system all at once, which route should I take if I want the best immediate results that will only get better as I continue replacing things? Would a reciever be the best replacement? The mains first? Sub? I want my overall budget for the system to be $1000 at the absolute max, and this will be spread out over months and months. Any comments will be appreciated.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Christopher,

Welcome to the forum.

Personally, if I wanted to replace my whole system, I think I would try to upgrade the receiver first, unless the speakers are really below standard. Why? Because then you can choose and judge your new speakers with the system you have (if you get a chance of your future retailer to try them at home).

Of course, this will imply that you make your choice for a new receiver (or separates) first now. :)

Only if the speakers are really bad or cannot handle any decent power, would I replace them first. From what you're saying, it looks as if you took that first step already. :emoji_thumbsup:

When your new receiver/amplifiers is (are) in place, you can start replacing the speakers, worst parts first (e.g. add a subwoofer or better surrounds if the mains are reasonable already).

Good luck!

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks