What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ The Draughtsman's Contract – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Peter Greenaway's 1982 The Draughtsman's Contract is one of those perfect little art films that demands extended discussion.

Kino is releasing it in a new Blu-ray derived from a 4k scan, and it's magnificent rendering, down to the film grain, which proves that 4k isn't always necessary. Color and densities seem to be precisely where they should.

There is a 10 minute extra which is an introduction by Mr. Greenaway, and quite unlike director intros that are the norm. "Hi, I'm xxx, hope you enjoy watching the film as much as we loved making it..."

This one really gets into it, and is probably the way to view the film with that at the head end.

The story is the simple tale of an artist hired to make drawings of an English estate in the late 17th century. But it's far more than that, and you'll have the pleasure of going through the layers.

For anyone not familiar with Mr. Greenaway's work, this may be a perfect introduction. For those who may be on the fence before ordering, I suggest you go here:

Enjoy.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (2.0 DTS Stereo)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 10

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
This was previously released on Blu-ray by BFI in the UK. I would assume the same master was used for this.

I believe this is one of those situations where Kino is acting as distributor, this time for Zeitgeist. Zeitgeist is also releasing another Greenaway title, a two-fer of A Zed and Two Naughts and The Falls (both of which have had previous BDs, but ages ago, and this release is probably also from new scans).

They're also releasing a Blu-ray of Guy Maddin's Tales from the Gimli Hospital (Redux). So, next week is going to be a Weird Shit Week.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Severin also just released a 4K of Drowning By Numbers. It's a good time for Greenaway fans. Maybe Lionsgate will be able to release The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The UHD for Drowning by Numbers is outstanding. And the extras on that are fascinating as well, because Greenaway plays games as much when he's talking about his movies as he does when he's making them.

I definitely need to grab this Kino Blu-ray!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
...and Indicator UK re-released the long-out-of-print The Pillow Book a month ago, available for only a few quid. His purple period more or less ended with that one.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Not all that long. The LE went OOP last October.
That was about the time I started looking for it - just when the BFI announced their version of The Draughtsman's Contract. Only located a copy going for silly money in Australia on eBay back then.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I have the original Blu-ray of The Pillow Book. Was disappointed that it was a 4:3 open-matte transfer. I assume the re-release is as well?

I know there's been some confusion about the proper aspect ratio for The Pillow Book, but I actually saw the movie during its American premiere with Peter Greenaway in attendance and it was most certainly NOT 4:3. It was projected as variable 1.85:1/2.35:1 within a 1.85:1 container.

The Blu-ray is open-matte 4:3 for the 1.85:1 footage, while the 2.35:1 footage is windowboxed with large black bars on all sides.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The re-release would be exactly the same. Re-releases from Indicator drop the booklet insert, but the disc itself is identical. The only time there is a significant difference between the two releases is if the initial, Limited Edition has a second (or maybe even a third) disc with an alternate cut of the film. In those cases, the Standard Edition might also drop those extra discs.

As to The Pillow Book specifically, as far as I know, every single home video version is presented with the variable ratios inside a 4:3 container.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks