What's new

Recommendations for a progressive scan/SACD/DVD-A player? (1 Viewer)

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I am currently looking to replace my current DVD player (Sony DVPNS7700) with a more current player which:

1. Can pass the pluge test

2. Has progressive scan (don't really care about upconversion, although I am aware that many quality progressive scan players now offer upconversion anyway)

3. The ability to play back SACD and DVD-Audio with internal bass management (with a cross over set at 80). SACD is more important than DVD-Audio to me if that matters.

So far I've had my eye on the Sony DVPNS90V but I don't know whether or not it has internal bass management for SACD (I know it doesn't play DVD-Audio). One of the various Samsung's (950?) looks appealing as well.

My price point is under $200.00. Any thoughts?

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
NS7700 is a nice player. A lot of people still use them as a CD transport. The resale value is fairly good at audiogon. I think the new NS3100ES will be a good replacement for you, but it's somewhat over your budget.

I don't think you can find a decent progressive scan DVD player without upconversion capability these days. The new players are typically rated based on upscaling qualities, but are seldom rated for progressive scan. It'll be tough to find if a player can do 480p well or not.

NS90V is soon to be replaced with a new model coming out this year. They were on sale at jnr and onecall recently. Not sure if the sale is still on going. Samsung HD950 is also on the soon-to-be-replaced list. The replacements will be based on Faroudja (top end) and Zoran (entry level). HD950 is based on Zoran. It gets somewhat mixed reviews, depending on the expectation and previous player used as comparison.

My personal preference is Faroudja over Zoran. Panasonic plasmas have some problem with Faroudja, but other than that the reviews are consistently good. I also have a Faroudja based player from LG.

If you intend to use the component output, you should also compare the video DAC bandwidth rating on the players. Some are 10 bit 25MHz, and some are 12 bit 200MHz, and many in between. Higher bandwidth typically indicates more expensive / better quality / better pictures.

If you don't find anything that screams "take me home!", it might be worthwhile to wait a couple of months to see the new models from Sony and Samsung before making the decision.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Personally & unfortunately I've never seen a $200-and-under universal player that has its b.m. xover set at 80Hz. The lowest I've seen is 120Hz.

I found the manual for the Sony DVP-NS90V, and it states this player's xover is also set at 120Hz (p.76).

This popularity of the 120Hz xover sounds to me like a case of the manufacturers' doing the C.Y.A. thing, since a lower xover point and/or a choice of them - if the player was bought by an unknowing person - could result in crummy sound......or a burned out satellite. Class action lawsuit anyone?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Does it really cost that much to add adjustable x-overs to a dvd player? Even the cheapest avr's I've come across have at least three options to choose from. My $250 Yamaha 6770 and $300 Denon 756 also have fixed x-overs. At least give us two to choose from, say 80 and 120. They must know how important the correct x-over is. Whats wrong with these people! I just don't get it :angry: .

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have a Sony 7700 hooked up to my Sony 36"XBR, and a Samsung HD 755 upconverting DVD player hooked up to my new Toshiba 50" Plasma. I have to tell you my old Sony DVD player still kicks ass. I wish i could find a player like it today. Best thing i have seen is a Denon that will run you about $600 for the DVD A and SACD options. I would have bought a Denon myself, but with new HD players soon to come i didn't want to spend much. I wont be buying into HD DVD / Blue Ray anytime soon, but still i couldn't see buying the Denon now for $600. IMO anything you buy for $200 and under is temporary anyway, right? It is for me.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Personally, I've not seen a player those specs and in a brand I'd want at less than $300-350. At least that was true when I looked 3-4 months ago. I ended up with a Denon 1920 at $350 which I'm very pleased with.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
(well you asked!) My Pioneer DV-656A dvd-audio player cost me exactly $199 from Crutchfield.....and I expect to keep it until it breaks. It's MSRP was all the way up at $330 but I guess it wasn't selling or something.

My Technics SL-PG4 single disc CD player cost me $130 three years ago - same expectation as above. My last SL-PG4 player (same model #) was bought in 1992 and lasted for eight problem-free years until yours truly effed up a circuit board with dripping solder while re-soldering the RCA jacks (I'll never use those Radio Shack "Gold Series" interconnects again - why do they fit soooooo frigging tight!?).

Over the past two decades I've just seen & read about (including on this forum) too many so-called hi-end products that break down within the same time period as less expensive gear, and to make things worse they end up costing much more to fix too. Just because something has a heavily-built outer casing doesn't mean the insides don't suck (a slab of aluminum is ultra-easy to do compared to good AND reliable circuit design). My first professional career was in the QC field and so am very familiar with issues like this. This is why better magazines routinely take apart their review gear to look inside.

My Pioneer SX-6 stereo receiver (45 watt/ch) I bought new in 1983 for $220 has only one problem, a noisy stereo/mono switch. Otherwise everything works perfectly on this 23 year old piece of mid-fi gear.

Yep, I'm one of those people that get upset at the "everythings disposable" way of thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks