Looking for DVD Player Recommendation

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevin Grey, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

May 20, 2003
    I'm looking for a recommendation on a relatively inexpensive DVD player. HDMI is not a concern since my HDTV (built in 2002) doesn't support HDMI or DVI. I also don't care about SACD or DVD Audio or anything other than the player is progressive scan and has an excellent video decoder.

For reference, the Panny RP-92 was an oft recommended player in this class a few years ago, but since they don't make those anymore I'm looking for whatever is the most similar currently on the market.

Thanks for any input.
  2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Jun 12, 1999
    Well, I'll pitch in my 2-cents worth on this. I,too, am looking for a modestly priced dvd player. Last year, I bit on the upscaling Zenith 318, which I re-burned the firmware to be the LG that feeds 1080i through componet, as my tv, although being an HD-compatible one, doesn't have hdmi/dvi. To make a long story short, the Zenith bit ME !!!! I had replaced a Panasonic s-47 ( GREAT) which played eveything very well..... the Zenith, at least for me, has been a dismal failure.

My oldest son bought a Sony NS50P, which plays everything, and has had no probs at all. Last night, when one of my older movies wouldn't play on the Zenith/LG, the same movies played without a glitch on my younger sons Toshiba 3960, and my older son's Sony NS50.....

The Sony is still a current model with cost around 75 bucks, but the Tosh is an older model that would be hard to find. I will, more than likely run my Best Buy today and pick up a Sony Ns50p for less than half the price of the Zenith/LG.

Of course, hindsight is 20-20, but I do wish I had kept the Panny and my youngest so won't give up his Tosh 3960....LOL

A link I usually use to compared capabilities/ compatibilities is videohelp.com.

Good luck....