What's new

2021 Universal disc player (1 Viewer)

51514brad

Auditioning
Real Name
Brad
I am in the market for a universal 4k player as in addition to 4k blu-ray discs I have both SACD and DVD-A discs in my collection. The most current list I have found is already outdated as Pioneer has discontinued what appeared to be their excellent machine. Cambridge Audio's model is also discontinued and Oppo is gone. I prefer to buy new as I worry about shipping used electronics that contain moving parts and audio quality is actually more important to me than having "the best" 4k output.

Is there anything other than the Sony UBP-X800M2 currently available that anyone here would recommend?

Real Name
Mark Stenroos
I am also in the market for a player that will play 4k UHD movies and SACD audio discs. I was looking at the Sony 700 and 800 model lines, but the interwebs are rife with articles and videos documenting that these players freeze when playing 4k discs. They also freeze up during streaming.

Unfortunately, Sony seems to be the only manufacturer of 4k players that also includes SACD playback as an option. I would try a Sony player IF Sony had announced that they have identified the problem and actually fixed it (rather than claiming the discs must be dirty, etc), but why bother when you know their players all freeze up at some point?

I would certainly be open to another brand of 4k player, but it MUST be able to play SACDs as well.

BTW - I currently use an X-box One to view 4k discs - it has never frozen, ever.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
There are the upcoming Reavon ubr-x100 and x200 models. Don't know if they will be available in america.

It appears they're moving into the vacuum left behind by Oppo. It asserts they can play 4Kbluray and sacd discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Though no word yet on where these Reavon models will be manufactured.

The only way I would pay for the relatively high price tag (around 1000 euros), is if they are manufactured in a place like western europe (ie. netherlands, germany, austria, france, etc ...) or japan.

Otherwise if they are manufactured in china, I'll take a pass and look elsewhere.

YANG

Screenwriter
well... look around, check out on where the Zappiti media player is made, it's probably going to be the same factory to make the Reavons

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I've got a similar problem, but SACD only with no DVD-A discs here.

The Sony X700 is a bargain and appears to be a good deal IF you have the luck of the draw and get a "good" one. People appear to either get a good one or a crappy one. I bought one today off Amazon for $180 since Amazon is forgiving with return privileges. The big tip is to build feet for it so it's about an inch above the shelf for better thermal management.

My old Motorola/Funai Blu-Ray players from circa 2009 have held up surprisingly well but they are now at least 12 years old. I've got the latest firmware installed from 2020 but they are starting to have some issues with new discs.

My SACD drive is even older: a Philips 963SA from circa 2004. The drive is getting noisy and it has to try a few times on many discs. It uses 6 analog outputs which I have to run via an Outlaw ICBM to my old Yamaha receiver. If any one of the three craps out I will need to buy a new AV receiver with HDMI and use the X700 for SACD playback.

YANG

Screenwriter
...My old Motorola/Funai Blu-Ray players from circa 2009 have held up surprisingly well but they are now at least 12 years old. I've got the latest firmware installed from 2020 but they are starting to have some issues with new discs.

My SACD drive is even older: a Philips 963SA from circa 2004. The drive is getting noisy and it has to try a few times on many discs. It uses 6 analog outputs which I have to run via an Outlaw ICBM to my old Yamaha receiver. If any one of the three craps out I will need to buy a new AV receiver with HDMI and use the X700 for SACD playback.
PHILIPS DVD and BluRay players are generally very well built and more than 80% could stand against time.
My PHILIPS BluRay BDP7750 player, circa 2013 or so... still strong until now and still using. Just that the disc tray eject... I guess i've to pay a visit to a disc player tech for a change of internal rubber strap or lubrication of the disc tray transport bar.
Disc tray eject and close mechanism on my DVD recorder DVDR725H still works well. Just that not so often used, except playing CDs. Been searching for compact size Component Video to HDMI converter such that i can attach the device to the rear of the gear.
The recent addition of the BDP2590 do not have analogue 5.1/7.1ch out. And my good old PHILIPS FR996 and FR755 do not sport HDMI digital input. However video quality is still as good as the good old BDP7750 which i believe both video processors could be the same.

FUNAI built players are good in built and durability.
However, ever since 2016, PHILIPS disc players are not region hackable anymore. With more options from other makers, less buyers of physical medias, and the "collapse" of PHILIPS Audio/Video division, we won't be able to see newer players from PHILIPS introduced to the market, unless they see potentials of demands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks