What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Recommendation for equipment (1 Viewer)

UKpup

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Hello all;

I'm finishing my basement and would like your help picking my equipment.

A bit of backstory:

I'm putting MLV on my ceiling (man, that stuff is heavy! ). I'm also putting up RSIC clips and hat channel. In the end, I should have a completely de-coupled area from the living area.

Thanks!

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Both. I've looked at Klipsch speakers and also SVS subs.

Primary Use: 95% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: No sure really. I think I'd like to get Atmos high on the walls since I don't want to poke a hole through the MLV.

Room Size: 45x15. Although the theater part will be 20x15. The rest will open to a gaming, exercise area.

Is the room open to other areas of your home: No

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Np

What's your budget (low to high): $3000-4000

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Not really. I plan on making the area under the stairs my AV closet

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just a suggestion... Atmos is intended to be overhead, not high on the side walls. Yes, it makes a difference. A big difference.

UKpup

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
I understand! I just not sure how to put them in the ceiling and preserve the MLV integrity. I guess if I could find some that aren't too deep I could do it though... I'll have to dig around. Any suggestions on brand?

UKpup

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
What’s MLV?
Mass Loaded Vinyl. It's for sound reduction. In order to stop the sound waves we all know that it takes mass. MLV is 1lb/sq ft. You can put it on walls and/or ceiling. I'm putting in on my ceiling, then putting up RSIC clips, hat channel, and 2 layers of 5/8 board. The issue though is you don't want any holes. If I can find a Atmos speaker thin enough, I can probably pull it off.

I've attached a photo of part of the ceiling. I have to tape the seams once I'm finished.

Attachments

• 20200125_115158.jpg
    20200125_115158.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 256

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PSYLNT2UHD
Recent bookmarks