What's new

Recently got an XBox (1 Viewer)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
With the recent price drop, I finally was able to talk the wife into letting me get an xbox. I've been mostly a pc gamer with some console gaming from back in the day (anyone remember turbografx 16?). But Im getting tired of upgrading my pc every year or so and decided to try my luck on a console. While its hard to get used to controllers vs keyboards, Im finding it fairly entertaining. Halo had me locked indoors for 4 days straight until I finished it. Great game! Splinter Cell is not too bad, RalliSport Challenge II is fun for awhile and I just picked up Knights of the Old Republic over the weekend. This game is going to be trouble as I don't know what happened to the 4 hours during which I was playing this game last night. They flew by. Trying to go torwards to light side slightly without being too goody goody for now. Addicting game to say the least. Any other games out there that you guys would recommend? Mostly interested in action, 1st person, freaky is good, RPG (if its as good as KOTOR) or strategies. TIA

Evan M

Second Unit
Ninja Gaiden :)

If you like racing, try out the Project Gotham games.

For RPGs, KOTOR is the best... Morrowwind might be worth checking out too.

James T

Screenwriter
That's pretty much the same reasons I got an Xbox.

So, I guess you have some catching up to do...here's a list of games I liked in no particular order:

James Bond: Everything or NothingAll-star voice cast, plot from a 007 movie and the gameplay is pretty good too!
Spider-man 2(it's available on the PC, but the PC is a stripped down kiddy version)
Deus ExIt helps if you understood or played the
first one as it's a continuing story.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Even if you're not a fan of the show, it's a great 3rd person action game. And if you enjoyed Buffy, you may want to check out Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb which is pretty much Indy with Buffy's moves.
Fatal Frame This is if you want the freaky. If you heard Resident Evil being scary, you haven't heard about Fatal Frame. It's jump out of your seat scary...I actually chickened out and stopped playing now:b I'm sure I'll go back to it.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
Ninja Gaiden

Spider Man 2

Tony Hawk's Underground (I played my first THPS game on the XBOX, THPS4 and loved it. Never knew what I was missing).

Chronicles of Riddick was well-received, but I've never played it.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Riddick is amazing, let me tell you I couldn't pull myself away until I finished it

Plus, it looks astounding on a widescreen hdtv..

Mike

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Tino (HTF) swears by Riddick as well. I just talked to him a few weeks ago for XBox game advice. I passed on it for now but might get it next.

I took him up on Ninji Gaiden as well as the very popular Prince of Persia. I've only played them both through a few stages but they are both awesome (think PS classic Tomb Raider 1) and quite similar to each other (if you like one you will probably like the other).

Prince of Persia makes a better starter now since its price is lower. Then by the time you finish with it maybe Ninji will have a price drop. This coming from a guy who just said to hell with it and bought 5 games at once. :)

The other 3 were LOTR:ROTK, Project Gotham 2, and Star Wars:KOTOR.

ROTK was okay. Looks good, plays more like a button masher similar to TTT. Fun but not top of the list fun.

PG2 - just haven't had time for it. I like these reality racers but I never end up spending a majority of my time with them.

After mostly finishing ROTK I turned to KOTOR and haven't stopped since. It has seriously sucked my life away. It is NOT more FUN than Persia or Ninja, but it just lends itself to continuation.

You already did Halo and had an experience pretty similar to just about everyone I know. Probably the best XBox game ever at this point, certainly the best early XBox game.

The Midway Arcade collection is kinda fun. Its a strong port of those games and generally runs pretty cheap. Good supplemental/party collection.

Soul Caliber 2 is a good fighter game and runs at 720p (but not wide 720p). Its fun as far as fighters go and has a "mission" to play that gives you a bit of an RPG feel despite just being a series of fights with different characters (you move along maps and choose which way you want to go).

I love sports games and drained a ton of time with the EA MLB game. The $20 price point on the ESPN NFL game makes it damn attractive, though you would have to make fixes like dropping Ricky Williams. I don't know if they do online roster downloads, though I would assume they do. I haven't setup XBox live yet, though I'm about to.

Summerize - Halo, Star Wars:KOTOR, Prince of Persia, Ninji Gaiden = must buys

Riddick is apparently of similar quality.

Oh, Matrix is kinda dull and repetitive at times, but its also 1080i and really makes a big HDTV look great.

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
I'll also recommend Chronicles of Riddick. Great first person shooter.

Also, try Psi-Ops out. It is kind of like a Star Wars game where you get special powers as you go through the game. It is also very addictive.

Spider-Man 2 is fun even if you only want to check out the city.

If you like 2d shooters I would recommend Metal Slug 3.

Another good one is Otogi. That game is really cool and addictive.

Brion

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Good analysis, its not the funnest game per say, but it keeps you going and going.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! Keep em coming. BTW, any word on the Medal of Honor games? I loved Allied Assault on the PC and didn't know if they were any good on the consoles.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Isn't Riddick on sale at one of the Big Three (CC, Best Buy, Target)? I'm pretty sure I saw it while looking through the circulars this Sunday...

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

I second that. I love scary movies and games but Fatal Frame had me freaked out like I was a 4 year old who was afraid of the dark.

Marc Bax

Second Unit
Here's a few with links to their IGN reviews.

Beyond Good & Evil a great game and only $20.

Full Spectrum Warrior a very different military game. Blends RTS with FPS elements.

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy Very fun and different now only $30.

Spider-Man 2 Like GTA but with Spider-Man. Also is a completly different (and better) game then the PC version.

Ninja Gaiden Incredible game but VERY hard. A free LIVE downloadable update called Hurricane Pack 1 is coming soon and adds even more value (and challenge) to this already great game.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay , Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow , Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge , Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne , Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time , TimeSplitters 2 , Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Tides of War , Project Gotham Racing 2 , SSX 3 , and Burnout 2: Point of Impact - Developer's Cut are some of my personal favorites. Many of these titles can be found for $20 nowadays as well. Some of them are also available on the PC, but since I'm not sure how long ago you stopped buying new PC games I listed them. As for RPG's not much right now but coming down the pipe we have 3 heavy hitters. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords , Fable , and from Bioware the company behind the original KOTOR Jade Empire . Have fun.

James T

Screenwriter
I forgot about Beyond Good and Evil. That was a pretty good game. It kinda reminded me of Zelda.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Riddick all the way. One of the best games for the Xbox yet.

Driv3r is worth a rent, in my opinion. A cheap rental.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Two games that I've played recently that have been great are Prince of Persia and Ninja Gaiden. Beware, however, that Ninja Gaiden is pretty tough. Up until now (I'm stuck at the end of the seventh level), the difficulty level seems to be high but not so high to prevent you from coming back for more. That all changed when I faced the seventh level boss, Alma, who wiped the floor with my butt ten times in a row!

David Galindo

Screenwriter

I know- its crazy, really, since all the previews before the game was released got a "ehh" from me. It just surprised everyone.

Good for them :emoji_thumbsup:

Marc Bax

Second Unit
The real crazy thing about Riddick was that it just *poof* appeared. I remember reading the exclusive unveiling in Game Informer only a few months before the game hit the shelves. Usually there's a year or two of press to build up the hype for a game this good. All I can say is bring on the next surprise.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

Smart marketing. They knew they had a hit and instead of running the traditional hype machine they quietly released it. It was all upside as there were no prior expectations to be met.

As people have mentioned Halo, best Xbox game ever. Do you like the whole GTA thing? As far as RPG goes, never played KOTOR, but I do own Morrowind.... Its a great game but time consuming (as most RPGs are), actually my dad is trying to sell it for me here on the HTF, if you are interested he is selling it for $20 shipped with the 370 pg game guide. The game was very good but I just got bored with it due to lack of time and school mostly. I am still in high school. If you are looking to buy Prince of Persia or if interested, my dad is willing to sell that too; it was a great game. I only ever played it at the most 2 times and got it for Christmas as a gift. As far as any other games, right now I can't really think of any others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks