What's new

Receiver and Speakers Question (1 Viewer)

Jkip74

Auditioning
Real Name
Joey Kipilo
STR-DH190 Stereo Receiver
SS-CS5 3-Way Bookshelf Speakers

I don't necessarily need surround sound for my apartment, but I need better speakers than the ones built into my TV, so I can actually enjoy watching a movie. For the reason above, I don't want to spend more than $400-500 (receiver & speakers) on this rig, since I am not really looking for that cinematic sound, and also considering I live in an apartment. I am not sure if it matters, but I have 2-3 systems that would be using it. I don't have cable, so it would be a PS3, Wii, and possibly another PS3 (Try not to judge on my game systems haha). I also like the idea that it has Bluetooth, so I could hook up my phone to it and listen to music.

I am new to using surround sound and the lingo that is related to it. I have my reasons for not wanting to use a sound bar, and I feel more comfortable with this type of setup. Are these two items compatible? For the bare minimum of what I need, will these two items suffice? Or will I need to use something different?

I chose these two items since the brand was familiar and they were in the price range I was looking for. If these two are not compatible, what would you recommend considering my current parameters?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This first question is if your TV has an hdmi input.

You are using video sources, so I suggest you get a surround receiver, even if you're only going to use two or three channels. It will switch your video sources, which the stereo receiver you mentioned won't. Basically all receivers have bluetooth these days. I suggest you go with a 3.0 system, which will be much better than two channels for video sources.

I think you should consider a closeout or reburbished receiver, and I'd suggest a different brand. You can get a really basic Denon surround receiver refurb for $230.

In your price range, the clear winner in speakers is the Pioneer BS22 series. Ideally, you would get a center speaker as well.

You're right at $400 with two speakers, and a little over $500 with three. You could start off with two and add the center later, if needed. Just be certain to get that same center, so it matches the other speakers.

Jkip74

Auditioning
Real Name
Joey Kipilo
Welcome Joey. With your budget craigslist might be worth a look. What city are you in?
Colorado Springs. But with things I am not familiar with, I don't like purchasing used. I don't mind refurbished though. Because since I am uneducated about these things, I wouldn't be able to tell if there was anything wrong with it.

Jkip74

Auditioning
Real Name
Joey Kipilo
This first question is if your TV has an hdmi input.

You are using video sources, so I suggest you get a surround receiver, even if you're only going to use two or three channels. It will switch your video sources, which the stereo receiver you mentioned won't. Basically all receivers have bluetooth these days. I suggest you go with a 3.0 system, which will be much better than two channels for video sources.

I think you should consider a closeout or reburbished receiver, and I'd suggest a different brand. You can get a really basic Denon surround receiver refurb for $230.

In your price range, the clear winner in speakers is the Pioneer BS22 series. Ideally, you would get a center speaker as well.

You're right at $400 with two speakers, and a little over $500 with three. You could start off with two and add the center later, if needed. Just be certain to get that same center, so it matches the other speakers.
Thank you for this. When I was purchasing a desktop, I asked a friend who knew more about it than I did. Then I bought whatever he recommended. So unless someone says otherwise, I will probably go with what you suggested. Hopefully I will be able to setup the Denon

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Glad to help. Keep in mind that you're only saving about $50 on that refurb, so you might prefer just getting new. Maybe you can find a deal. Normally there are good closeout deals, but this year they don't seem to exist.

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
I'd stay glued to Amazon. It's the holiday season. I got a Kliptch BAR 48 soundbar for only $300 on a random lightning deal. It wasn't even the holidays.

It was 3.1 sound. I'm planning on getting the wireless rear speakers some day if they're on a good sale.
The best part is that the BAR 48, or other sizes, has a standard sub-woofer port, so you can add a second sub-woofer. There are companies that make wireless transmitter/receiver devices, so you can turn a wired subwoofer into a wireless setup.
Kliptch sells wireless rear speakers just for their 3.1 soundbars. They also sell a 5.1 soundbar that includes the wireless rear speakers already. The included wireless sub-woofer won't win any awards for loudness, but it gets the job done and at least a bit of punch to it.

I actually just grabbed a USED Paradigm UltraCube 10 for about $300 to add as a 2nd sub-woofer. Can't wait for it to arrive.

-I owned one years ago before I gave my entire home theater away including the TV. I was moving across country to a tiny apartment. I called up the person I gave it to and he said the system was still working great. He did mention he got a 4k TV and a new reciever that was 4k compatible. Didn't mention the brand of the receiver or TV though.
FYI the setup used MilliaOne 5.0 speakers also.

P.S. If you get the Kliptch soundbar, there's a Jedi trick to opening up the remote to insert the batteries. Basically you have to find the hidden point on the back of the remote and push down while sliding. It's easy to find if you use the part of your hand nearest to the wrist, while the remote is resting face down in your other hand. But only press down lightly while using most of the energy trying to slide the cover off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks