What's new

rear center speaker placement (1 Viewer)

Daman

Second Unit
hi guys,
I was thinking about making my system 6.1 for a while and also posted some queries about the same here earlier also, well i am getting my rear center speaker today and will let you know if theres any difference i found between it and the 5.1 setup. The question i want to ask is what height should the rear center speaker be at? Should it be at the height of Surround speakers(mine are at about 6 feet) or should it be at height of front center speaker(mine at ear level) Please let me know!!! Thanks :D

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks for replying Alan :) ya i was also thinking since its gonna be just used for surround effects it should be at surround speakers height, but wanted to confirm it here.. will watch LOTR extended edition which is 6.1 DTS and Dolby tonight :D Man!!! Am i excited !!!!!!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
What kind of speakers do you have? You'll have to post your thoughts after your first 6.1 experience.....I'm contemplating the jump to 6.1 also. Good luck!

Daman

Second Unit
I have Polk RM6700 series coupled with a Yamaha 6.1 HTR5640 reciever, bought an extra speaker(RM2650-the surround speaker) from Crutchfield which was delivered today,am gonna hook it up tonight and will surely post up my experiences tomorrow :)

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
I was checking into this a month or so ago. The consensus seems to be that the rears (I'm planning on 7.1) should be at the same height as the other surrounds.

Todd^B

Stunt Coordinator
Would there be a problem putting the rear center at the same height as the surrounds.

I would also think that the hieght of the front center would come into play also.

I would experiment a little and see what sounds best to you. If you are calibrating, try it in a few different positions to see which the best outcome.

Daman

Second Unit
Okay installed the rear speaker yesterday-the height is the same as surround speakers.I calibrated with a SPL meter too.Heres my feedback for 6.1 against 5.1..I watched LOTR-Fellowship EE in DTS6.1 Discrete and man was there a difference!!!The sound is more enveloping now and its not as if the rear's are working seperately.. earlier the sound was like ok this is the left rear guy playing and this is a right but now its a whole envelope arround me.. just amazing, ill highly reccomend going in for a 6.1 setup even if there are just are few DVD's which are 6.1 encoded!! It was a big difference for me.Some scenes like Bilbos party-when everyones clapping and the scene in mines of moria when the cave troll comes are much more fuller now.. i was missing out on quite something ill say. Worth the value!!!
Cheers!
Daman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks