What's new

re:Dish Network Question (1 Viewer)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Hi all.

I have just added dish network and dropped my horrible AT&T digital cable.

The box that I received was the 301. Here is my question, are there any boxes available from dish network that offers 5.1 outputs so I can hook the system up to my reciever and get the digital sound? I don't need the HDTV part of it, I would just like to get the sound! With dish network can I add another box from another manufacture and just switch the cards???

Thanks

R~

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The DP501 (with the Hard drive and Personal Video Recorder (PVR)) has a toslink digital output that you can get DD on. Of course, the broadcast stations have to broadcast in dolby digital which at this point it's mostly PPV or the premium channels. However you can still get regular digital PCM audio on any dishnetwork station. The 501 is a better version of the 301 with the PVR and a UHF remote, and the Digital output, of course.

Jay

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Jay..

Thanks for the information, looks like I am going to ask Dish Network how much it is for an upgrade..

Thanks again

R~

GregoryK

Agent
Another option is the 4922 receiver. It lacks the PVR functions of the 501, but has a TOSlink port, and a UHF remote.
You can check it out at AllSat, which is where I got mine.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Greg

Was it easy to install in terms of changing cards? or is there more to it, and do you have to let dish network know that I am going to be using this box instead?

Thanks

Rhett

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Just to clarify, the receiver is the model 4900. There is no 4922 receiver. 4922 is the product code for a package that includes one 4900 receiver and one Dish 500 with Twin LNB.

Also, the 4900 and 2800 receivers are being discontinued so they'll be at closeout prices everywhere. Sears is dumping the JVC and Phillips branded 4900s at some very cheap prices.

-Lyle J.P.

Les_D

Auditioning
Rhett_Y,

Welcome aboard,

One thing you'll notice with the Digital Satellite providers is they do not offer many upgrades to their customers.

If you wish to replace your existing receiver you'll end up paying close to full price. Your 301 was heavaly subsidised by Dish when you agreed to their programing terms.

I'd suggest the upgrade to the 501, it has the PVR features that you may noth think you need or want, but you'll soon love them.

Also, it will store the program info on the harddrive so it will not need to continualy need to update from the satellite.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Les,

Thanks for the info and hardy welcome!

I think you are right.....Just a phone call away!

Thanks

Rhett

GregoryK

Agent
Lyle: Thanks for clarifying the model number, I didn't mean to confuse.

Rhett: I don't have experience with switching receivers, since this is my first Dish system. A call to Dish would probably answer that question.

Like Lyle said, they are heavily discounting this model. When I was shopping for my system, I think I found a web store selling the 4900 receiver alone for something like $50.(?) I'm sorry, but I didn't bookmark the site since I was looking for a full system, not just a receiver.

Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks