What's new

HDTV and satellite providers (1 Viewer)

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all---

I've got a Mitsubishi HD-ready widescreen TV, and I'm hoping to make the jump to HD soon. I'm currently a Time Warner Cable subscriber, and it's my understanding that I can rent an additional set-top box to receive their HD signal. However, because the monthly cable fees are already so high, I'm tempted to look for other options.

I can't afford an HD receiver, which I've seen advertised in the neighborhood of $500+ or so.

I read on an FAQ on a home theater supplier's site that "DirecTV and Dish have begun broadcasting some HDTV programs, and these programs do follow the ATSC standards and must be viewed on an HDTV set to enjoy the higher resolution picture."

I have a DirecTC receiver and dish that are about a year old, so it wouldn't be any trouble to re-install them.

My question is this: if I switch to either DirecTV or Dish Network, does this mean I have to upgrade my receiver and equipment to get an HD signal, or can any "average" DirecTV/Dish equipment package receive the regular satellite signal as well as the HD signal?

I realize this may be a pretty complicated question, but if someone can point me to a FAQ or another site that might address my concerns, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your time,
mattl

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
if I switch to either DirecTV or Dish Network, does this mean I have to upgrade my receiver and equipment to get an HD signal, or can any "average" DirecTV/Dish equipment package receive the regular satellite signal as well as the HD signal?
The regular DirecTV receivers don't even show the HD channels in the guide. You have to have a DirecTV HD receiver and a multi-sat dish. Since you have a Mitsu TV, you don't need a new receiver with DVI (unless you plan on upgrading TVs soon) so you could use the discontinued Hughes E-86 receiver. I saw an open box yesterday at my local Best Buy for $440.

-Robert

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm currently a Time Warner Cable subscriber, and it's my understanding that I can rent an additional set-top box to receive their HD signal. However, because the monthly cable fees are already so high, I'm tempted to look for other options.
Matt,

I'm not saying you should stick w/ TWC, but you should find out if you can't simply replace the old cable box w/ an HD box for the same rental price. Here in NYC, TWC charges nothing extra for HD service as long as you have digital cable service. That's what I have now.

In any case, I'm still planning to switch to DirecTV although I'm not sure when yet. I want to wait for HD DirecTivo receivers so I can do some timeshifting in HD, but that's a long wait. I might end up going w/ regular DirecTV + OTA-only HD tuner and then upgrade later.

Don't like the high monthly cost of cable nor the cheezy HD cable box that TWC offers.

_Man_

Joe Reed

Stunt Coordinator
man-fai wong, I live about an hour from the city and have TWC, but I only get HBO and Showtime in HD, what channels do you get and what are the actually cable channels.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the quick replies.

I was under the impression that, to receive HD from Time Warner, I'd have to get an additional set-top box. I'm already a digital cable subscriber, and I have a set-top box for that service. When I talked to the installer, he said the HD service required a separate set-top box.

I want to make sure I get this straight---in your area, TWC offers a set-top HD box that also lets you get the regular digital cable channels? One box gets you both services?

If that's offered here in Houston, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Anyone have any ideas? I might do some calling lately to see if I can get any answers from TWC.

Thanks again,
Matt

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Matt,

Yes, I only have one cable box for all cable services, ie. both regular digital and HD. I believe most cable providers work that way for HD service although some may charge extra. TWC in NYC offers the HD channels in the 700's between their music-only channels (600's) and their Spanish-speaking channels (800's).

Joe,

TWC here offers HBO, Showtime, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX (EDTV), Thirteen/PBS, Kids 13 (EDTV?), and maybe NBA HD. The NBA HD channel was added for the All-Star game, but has stuck around w/ no programming AFAIK so don't know what's up w/ that. I think we were supposed to get UPN also, but that channel never worked for me and then eventually got removed from my channel listing.

_Man_

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,
You may also want to factor in that right now to get HDTV from dish network you need two seperate dishes on your house. I currently have dish and will have to drop them in favor of directv since the second dish will be pointing at my neighbors house!
Robert_J,
You said the now discontinued e86? When did they discontinue it? It is still listed on both hughes and best buys web-site. Just curious because that was going to be my HDTV receiver when I switch this spring.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought the E-86 was discontinued but there was still inventory. I just checked and I was wrong. They did discontinue the two clone models by Mitsubishi and Toshiba. Here is a list of all the HD receivers and their current status.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks