Are all dishes alike?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Florian, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Howdy,

I am a current customer of Directv and love it. I don't want to change services. But, we are moving to a new home in a few months and I have a question. The home we are buying has a dish used for Dish Network attached and aimed on the roof and the cables set up perfectly in the living room. I proposed to the seller that he keep his dish up and take mine, thus removing the need to take down and put up a dish for me and saving him the same issue (only reversed, of course). Will the same 18" dish and wiring work with both systems or are there proprietary hardware involved in dish and wiring. Of course, I would keep the receiver the same. I also figure I would have to re-aim the dish, but this isn't a big issue (as big as wiring it up would be).

Thanks in advance!

Ciao,

Phil

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    18" dishes are the same. Switches are different. If there is a switch installed, it will take a few minutes to change it out. Re-aiming is easy also.

Check the Dishnetwork dish carefully. If it is a newer install, it may be a 20" Dish500. They are a little different and may or may not work.

-Robert

3. Phil Florian

What switch? I haven't installed mine for a few years so I am not sure what you are talking about. Yipe...20" dish...yah, will check. At worst, though, maybe I can convince the guy to keep his wiring in place and only take the dish. Then maybe I can just attach at same spot on wall without having to rewire the place. Hmmm... Will have to see (and look for this switch, too). Thanks!

Phil

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

5. James Reyes

James Reyes Stunt Coordinator

In any event, you can swap dishes, but use his already mounted mast and give him your old mast from the other house.

6. Phil Florian

Excellent advice, all. Thanks a bunch!

Ciao,

Phil