What's new

Are all dishes alike? (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Howdy,

I am a current customer of Directv and love it. I don't want to change services. But, we are moving to a new home in a few months and I have a question. The home we are buying has a dish used for Dish Network attached and aimed on the roof and the cables set up perfectly in the living room. I proposed to the seller that he keep his dish up and take mine, thus removing the need to take down and put up a dish for me and saving him the same issue (only reversed, of course). Will the same 18" dish and wiring work with both systems or are there proprietary hardware involved in dish and wiring. Of course, I would keep the receiver the same. I also figure I would have to re-aim the dish, but this isn't a big issue (as big as wiring it up would be).

Thanks in advance!

Ciao,

Phil

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
18" dishes are the same. Switches are different. If there is a switch installed, it will take a few minutes to change it out. Re-aiming is easy also.

Check the Dishnetwork dish carefully. If it is a newer install, it may be a 20" Dish500. They are a little different and may or may not work.

-Robert

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
What switch? I haven't installed mine for a few years so I am not sure what you are talking about. Yipe...20" dish...yah, will check. At worst, though, maybe I can convince the guy to keep his wiring in place and only take the dish. Then maybe I can just attach at same spot on wall without having to rewire the place. Hmmm... Will have to see (and look for this switch, too). Thanks!

Phil

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yipe...20" dish
It may say Dish500 on it. It will have two LNB's side by side or one double wide LNB (2 LNB's in a single houseing).

If your dish and his dish look the same, they will function the same. If he has one or two receivers, he may not have a switch.

-Robert

James Reyes

Stunt Coordinator
In any event, you can swap dishes, but use his already mounted mast and give him your old mast from the other house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks