Cablevision and the YES network...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Mar 26, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Just saw this news report on Channel 2 news in New york. And I can't help but laugh. If Cablevision fails, they might loose alot of already pissed off Cablevision susbscribers to the all mighty dish.
    I've been a Cablevision subscriber for years, although not by choice. Their always the slowest to add new channels, and whenever they do, another good channel goes. I understand it's because of space limitations, but they've also been promising us digital cable for the last 5 years, wich has pissed off sports, and non sports fans alike, and never delivered.
    This may be the final straw for some. The sad part is, YES wants to offer it as part of the basic service, Cablevision wants you to pay....What a surprise.. Here's hoping loosing a few dozen customers will spur them into quicker action [​IMG]...

2. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

I heard a local sports radio guy talking about an article in Forbes that said nearly 90,000 people had recently switched from cablevision to direct TV.

90,000 subscribers is about %3 of their business. They're going to feel the heat from this not just in their public image but in their bottom line.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

The funny thing is, here in Boston, there was a lot of uproard when MediaOne switched NESN (the Red Sox/Bruins station that YES is modeled on) from pay- to basic-cable, because it meant the cable bill went up for everybody. Are non-sports fans in NYC complaining loudly about the bill being potentially hiked by $2/month so that their neighbors can see the Yankees?

4. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

>>Are non-sports fans in NYC complaining loudly about the bill being potentially hiked by $2/month so that their neighbors can see the Yankees?

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Hehe, Good point. I only watch a select few channels myself. But when nothing else good is on, it's nice to have those other channels to fall back on every now and then...

Here's something, though. Cablevision has stuff on channels 1 - 69, I beleive. With a few channels in the 70's. Channels in the 75+ range have nothing on them, so why not add a whole bunch of networks to those, and make alot of people happy?

6. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

Whats the deal with DISHNETWORK? are they gettin YES?

7. Chris Harrison

Chris Harrison Stunt Coordinator

Even before this whole YES fiasco I hated Cablevision. I had friends that lived 5 minutes away with different cable providers and they had twice as many channels for less money. My friends all had Cartoon Network, IFC, Sundance, etc. for years while Cablevision just got them last year. I am so glad I switched to DirectTV because I would be furious if I was missing all these Yankees games. Even my father, who is as old fashioned as they come, is thinking of switching from Cablevision to DirectTV. I pay less now for DirectTV than I did for Cablevision.

8. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

The main reason I still keep Cablevision in my house is because of their great Cable Modem service.

You can't beat the speed of a cable modem.

Cablevision requires you to maintain Family Cable to get the service for $29.99.

Otherwise I would switch to DirectTV.

JohnG

9. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

John,

I don't know for sure as I'm on Time Warner Cable+ Road Runner but I think you can get the cablevision cable modem as a non-subscriber for $50.

I've heard people say that they're paying $30 less for direct tv than for cablevision.

The costs might level each other out and you'd wind up with direct tv over lousy cablevision.