What's new

HBO Max Raised by Wolves (HBO Max / CTV Space / Crave) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I agree it went off the rails at the end. But I also think that's what it needed. I like the weird shit, and the back half of the season was slowly losing me with it becoming just a plain ol show, for lack of a better description. What really kept me invested were things like what the hell was at the bottom of the holes, what's that hexagonal structure, who's the planets natives, etc. Not what was going on with day to day life of Mother / Father / Marcus.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I agree it went off the rails at the end. But I also think that's what it needed. I like the weird shit, and the back half of the season was slowly losing me with it becoming just a plain ol show, for lack of a better description. What really kept me invested were things like what the hell was at the bottom of the holes, what's that hexagonal structure, who's the planets natives, etc. Not what was going on with day to day life of Mother / Father / Marcus.

I agree completely with Jeff's comment. The back few episodes were moving away from the curious blend of retro and avant-garde sci-fi, toward relative mediocrity (even the visuals were taking a hit). The final episode blew it all open nicely and drew the show back into its sweet spot.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
"I'm a doctor, not a blood bag." :biggrin: I wonder if Dr. McCoy ever had the opportunity to say that?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I appreciated the quality and retro-fi feel and overall novelty of Wolves. The performances were good and the characters of Mother, Father, Marcus and whatshername were multi-dimensional. I wish the kids had been actual characters, but other than Campion and maybe Paul, they were mostly sketches.

But the final episode, it went off the rails for me. Monster flying android snake baby. Devolving humanoids. Sentient planet. Even Marcus psychotic break felt really abrupt. I‘m ok with weird, but I want it connected. Wolves seems to start going random at the end, making stuff up without basis in the first eight episodes.

So...I don’t know. Not sure I care to learn flying android snake baby’s back story if/when Season 2 one day appears.
The finale didn't go off the rails for me, but it did seem to cover a lot of ground without much context or connection to what came before, and just pulling things out of a top hat of weirdness. As much as I've liked Ridley Scott's work, his work on the latest Alien films has been along these lines, coming off as weird for weirdness' sake, even though there's probably more to it than that. Or perhaps just wanting to generate more questions than answers, but that has diminishing returns for most viewers as well.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Raised by Wolves is back for its second season. Given the "popularity" of the show on the forum I'm just bumping the thread rather than make a new one.

Three episodes in and there have been a lot of interesting developments.

I'm wondering if humanity is bouncing between Earth and Kepler 22b every few million years. The "relics" they are finding are their own. Maybe Earth is where humanity advances, and Kepler is where it gets set back.

I continue to be in love with this show's retro/art deco aesthetic.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I'm gonna probably have to re-watch some of S1, because I don't remember a thing really from it now.
Well the good news is (and this isn't a spoiler) is that the first episode of season 2 is so crazy different you'll wonder if you suffered a head trauma and forgot everything from season 1 :)

I honestly thought I had started with season 2 episode 2.

I suggest you just dive in. If you think you are lost, it's not your fault: that's just how this season starts.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Caught up with the 3 season 2 episodes so far. Still don't care about the athiest/religious angle of the show to provide character motivations for their actions. So far, it's fairly pedestrian with a sprinkle of cool future tech design on display. And still the white/milky android blood reminds me too much of the Aliens film franchise to be totally a coincidence.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yeah, the religious aspects of the show are a real turn-off for me. Really, the only reason my wife and I are watching it is for the great production design and the two androids. Amanda Collin and Abubakar Salim are both amazing in their roles. Mother is a unique character, and I hope she gets her eyes back.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
My take on the Mithraic/atheist duality is less that it's about "religion" and more that it's about two "sides". The show is called "Raised by Wolves" which is a clear reference to Romulus and Remus. The twins were suckled by a "she wolf". That's Mother. In one scene this season she literally lactates milky fuel blood from lupine-like nipples.

The two brothers are Campion and Paul. Romulus and Remus grew up to lead the community. Eventually strife broke out between them and Romulus killed Remus. Paul and Campion are friends but also often at odds.

If I'm right in my theory, and humanity has "bounced" back and forth beween Earth and Kepler 22b every X number of years (millions?), then eventual Paul vs Campion story is really just Romulus vs Remus. Perhaps the story is hard coded into human DNA, and we are destined to repeat it. The religion vs non-religion is just one of the ways the duality of man manifests.

I think it's interesting.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I just watched the latest episode and I have no idea what I'm watching any more. This show is just so "out there" that I'm having trouble comprehending what's going on. I'm definitely going to need an explainer for this season once it's done.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Really good finale. Guess I should hold off on specifics until more people have seen it. Bring on Season 3!

My idea for a spinoff if they don't do a regular Season 3:

ACID BABIES: Kingdom of the Devolved Mermen

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just watched the latest episode and I have no idea what I'm watching any more. This show is just so "out there" that I'm having trouble comprehending what's going on. I'm definitely going to need an explainer for this season once it's done.
There is an official podcast.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
0020982B-79CA-4BCB-9FBE-C093350549B5.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks