What's new

HBO Max Raised by Wolves (HBO Max / CTV Space / Crave) (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
This is the new "hard" (some would say retro/vintage) sci-fi series created and written by Aaron Guzikowsi (Prisoners) and produced by Ridley Scott. Scott also directed the first two episodes before handing the job off to his son, Luke (who directed the Blade Runner 2049 Shorts). The score is from Dark's Ben Frost and longtime Ridley Scott collaborator Marc Streitenfled.

The series premiered on September 3, 2020 and the first three episodes are available on HBO Max. In Canada they are on CTV Space and streamable on Crave. The release schedule is three episodes at launch, followed by two episodes per week (released on Thursdays) for three weeks, with a final 10th episode the following week.

I watched the first three episodes and fell in love with--of all things--the colour timing. Something about it evokes Alien and Prometheus and all things Ridley Scott, but also retro-futurism and German expressionism. Indeed the homages to Fritz Lang's Metropolis are readily apparent about 45 minutes through the first episode. In a word, the show looks phenomenal.

The show appears to be completely original (aside from the homages and influences) and not based on any existing IP.

Here's the premise (no spoilers): The show centres around two androids named Mother and Father who are sent from Earth out into space with some of the last viable Human embryos. Earth was apparently destroyed in a nuclear war between atheists and a new religion who seems to worship the sun itself (or at least a god embodied by the sun). The atheists sent the androids into space (to Kepler-22B) with human embryos while the "Mithraics" (the religious followers) opted for a generation ship with hand-picked survivors of the Earth's destruction in suspended animation. Nothing goes as planned.

So far Raised by Wolves is gorgeous and intriguing. There isn't another show like it on TV right now.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
This is the new "hard" (some would say retro/vintage) sci-fi series created and written by Aaron Guzikowsi (Prisoners) and produced by Ridley Scott. Scott also directed the first two episodes before handing the job off to his son, Luke (who directed the Blade Runner 2049 Shorts). The score is from Dark's Ben Frost and longtime Ridley Scott collaborator Marc Streitenfled.

The series premiered on September 3, 2020 and the first three episodes are available on HBO Max. In Canada they are on CTV Space and streamable on Crave. The release schedule is three episodes at launch, followed by two episodes per week (released on Thursdays) for three weeks, with a final 10th episode the following week.

I watched the first three episodes and fell in love with--of all things--the colour timing. Something about it evokes Alien and Prometheus and all things Ridley Scott, but also retro-futurism and German expressionism. Indeed the homages to Fritz Lang's Metropolis are readily apparent about 45 minutes through the first episode. In a word, the show looks phenomenal.

The show appears to be completely original (aside from the homages and influences) and not based on any existing IP.

Here's the premise (no spoilers): The show centres around two androids named Mother and Father who are sent from Earth out into space with some of the last viable Human embryos. Earth was apparently destroyed in a nuclear war between atheists and a new religion who seems to worship the sun itself (or at least a god embodied by the sun). The atheists sent the androids into space (to Kepler-22B) with human embryos while the "Mithraics" (the religious followers) opted for a generation ship with hand-picked survivors of the Earth's destruction in suspended animation. Nothing goes as planned.

So far Raised by Wolves is gorgeous and intriguing. There isn't another show like it on TV right now.

Watched the first episode.Briliant series >One of the best sci-fi series in recent years.

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
I’m two episodes In and have to agree. I love it. I’m a little biased though as I’m a huge Ridley Scott fan. Just wish HBO Max would offer 4K.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I feel a lot of forum members may be missing out on this (as they likely did for "Dark", which remains one of the best pieces of television ever). Anyone else watching?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It wasn’t on my radar at all. I’m now considering it :)

I think my problem - and this is very clearly a “my” problem - is that none of this season’s space sci-fi offerings are what I’m looking for in that kind of show right now. And what concerns me is that I will not enjoy these shows for being what they are because I’ll be too preoccupied with what they’re not rather than appreciating what they are.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I watched the first episode and am hooked! Terrific television! (And I watched the first season of Dark based on HTF member enthusiasm and WOW is that great television, too).

Time is my challenge so it takes me a while but this new show has my neurons firing!

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
It wasn’t on my radar at all. I’m now considering it :)

I think my problem - and this is very clearly a “my” problem - is that none of this season’s space sci-fi offerings are what I’m looking for in that kind of show right now. And what concerns me is that I will not enjoy these shows for being what they are because I’ll be too preoccupied with what they’re not rather than appreciating what they are.

In terms of sunk costs, and without spoilers for either Raised by Wolves or Dark, here is what I think you will need to "invest" to see if these shows are for you:

Raised by Wolves: the "this is for me" moment comes about 15 minutes before the end of the first episode.​
Dark: while I was a fan about 10 minutes into the first episode, there is a montage near the end of episode three that elevated the show to potential masterpiece status for me (and it never looked back). So, in my estimate, you'll have to watch Dark a bit longer.​
If you have an hour to burn scoping out new shows, go with Raised by Wolves. If you have a few hours, go with Dark. If you have an afternoon or evening, do both!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
And watch via Netflix or buy Kino's BDs of Babylon Berlin, Series 1-3, also in German with English subtitles. Great series that takes place during the waning years of the Weimar Republic.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Caught up with the first 7 episodes, I liked the early episodes more than the past 2-3 episodes.

The religious/atheist stuff kinda bores me.

Seemed like this was connected to the Aliens franchise with the design of the androids, but maybe that's just me.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Apparently the season has ended. I say apparently because I had no idea the season was over. SPOILERS FOLLOW.

The atheist turned religious zealot got the shit beaten out of him but has survived. The fate of Mother and Father is not certain. The “future of humanity” is a monstrous eel like creature that floats thru the air. The spouse of the former atheist is with the kids. They have not migrated to the tropical zone yet.

I don’t recall such a stealth season-ender before. Is it a series-ender?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Finished Raised by Wolves tonight I and don’t even know what that was.

I really liked the first season. Not many shows do precisely what they set out to do, and do it well. I think Raised By Wolves does.

I will say that the directing quality trends downward somewhat the further Ridley Scott's involvement fades into the rear view. But the show is intriguing and daring and scratches a certain retro sci-fi itch.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I appreciated the quality and retro-fi feel and overall novelty of Wolves. The performances were good and the characters of Mother, Father, Marcus and whatshername were multi-dimensional. I wish the kids had been actual characters, but other than Campion and maybe Paul, they were mostly sketches.

But the final episode, it went off the rails for me. Monster flying android snake baby. Devolving humanoids. Sentient planet. Even Marcus psychotic break felt really abrupt. I‘m ok with weird, but I want it connected. Wolves seems to start going random at the end, making stuff up without basis in the first eight episodes.

So...I don’t know. Not sure I care to learn flying android snake baby’s back story if/when Season 2 one day appears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks