What's new
World Wide Stereo

Question for HANK (1 Viewer)

NIck_h

Auditioning
hank where in austin did you buy the plastex... i looked around for it a while ago.. and could not find it..

thanks..

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator
Hank ..... where are you?

Sometimes if you ask for his alter ego, some Frank Hangenberg character, Hank will chime in. Of course Hank still hasn't met this Frank guy, but he's heard about'em.

:D

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
And the weird thing is...Chris is a police officer. Have you ever met a cop who tries to be funny? A pitiful thing indeed.

I have not bought any PlasTex material, but helped Nils and Colin build their screens. Nils special ordered some 5' x 10' pieces direct from the mfgr. I believe that either Home Depot or Lowe's carries the regular 4' x 8' size. I just checked their web sites and can't find a listing for it. Here is the manufacturer's (Parkland Plastics) web site:
http://www.parklandplastics.com/residential.htm
Note that it says some Lowe's stores have it. Call your local Lowes and ask.

-Hank, the funny Texan

NIck_h

Auditioning
Ok cool...

yeah i have gone by a few HD and lowes and none of them on the north side of town had any.. figured when i get a new proj. ill have to order some

Thanks though

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Hey Chris,
Maybe you could use Agent Hanratty's knock-knock joke from "Catch Me If You Can". :D

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'll have to wait to see what you're referring to. Is the movie any good? Worth renting?

TimForman

Supporting Actor
"Catch Me If You Can" got a 96 rating on RottenTomatoes.com which is one of the highest I've ever seen there. Granted, it's not the ultimate say of a movies worth but I enjoyed it. I just hope Hank is wrong and you do have a sense of humor. ;)

MikeWh

Second Unit
Hank,

Did the PlasTex material have the pebble finish on one side and flat on the other? If so, I used some of this material several years ago to paint a business sign. I recall that the reverse side (on which I painted) was very inconsistent... not very smoot/flat. For my purposes it worked fine. But I'm wondering if that's the same material that you guys used. If so, I'd hesitate in using it for FPTV-- I just didn't think the surface was very even.

NIck_h-- if this is the same stuff, my Home Depot or Lowes had it in their shower enclosures area.

MikeWh

Second Unit
I may have just answered my own question-- some of the posts over at AVSForum indicate that the sheets may be VERY thin... there is talk about it being rolled/bent and needing a substrate support and that one side is glossy. The Parkland "pebble front" plastic I bought is thick enough to not need additional support, and it couldn't possibly be rolled. I think the pebble front material is Plas-Tex. The stuff people are using for screens is called (Plas-Tex) Poly-Wall. That sound right?

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Here's a quote from AVScience forum a PlasTex thread:

"Yes, its white, bright white, not any detectible shade of gray. Its probably pretty close to 6500 degrees K. I suppose it might subjectively appear somewhat gray or red if something around 10,000 degrees K white were compared directly to it. I use the textured glossy side myself, but, apparently others use the non-textured matte side. Compared to blackout cloth I find the image brighter and more focused with more vivid color. I previously used a Draper M2500 material Clarion screen and I prefer the PP because there is no hotspotting. (lower gain though)"

and another post:

Parkland Plastics
UPC #: 637553000012
Home Depot SKU is: #179-646
Lowes SKU is: #72405

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks