Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why?

(I had the opposite reaction.)
Both movies are fine films, but to answer your question, two words: Tom Hanks. He's one of my all-time favorite actors. Also, I liked
how they chronicled Otto's close relationship with his surrogate family which showed how much happiness Otto experienced in his last few years.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon has uploaded cover art for the Blu-ray. They are listing the release date as March 14.

Otto.jpeg

This artwork is so ugly. Why couldn't they have just used the poster?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Saw this. Thought overall it was good. Definitely a sweet movie.

The only thing that brought it down for me was the surrounding characters that often felt came out of a comic book. In particular, the guy that does large steps outside of his condo. Just over-the-top.

It almost feels like a made-for-TV film.

Still, Hanks does a terrific job here as he always does and the film does manage to pull at the heartstrings.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Watched this over the weekend. This was one of two pictures where my wife read the novel and then wanted to see the film. The other was The Family Fang, which I will comment on in a thread for that film.

I thought this was OK. Definitely one of those pictures that wants to make you laugh a little and cry a little. It is by no means a must see picture. Hanks is solid in it, if not really working too hard to pull off this character, as it is a pretty one note performance that Hanks could nail in his sleep.

I would not call it a comedy. It was basically a melancholy story about a man that has lost interest in life after his wife has passed away. It did feel a bit like episodic TV in how it was structured. The film is a series of present day moments and then flashbacks to a younger version of Otto. A younger actor plays the Otto character in the flashbacks and he does a pretty good Tom Hanks. Take note Mr. Scorsese, you do not need to use that CGI de-aging process.

My wife said she thought that the novel was hilarious and that translating this to the screen was a bit of an issue because what was funny in the novel were the Otto characters internal monologues. She felt the film was a poor version of the novel. I can't speak to that because I did not read the book. I thought it would be interesting to add that here though for those wondering about the novel.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
She felt the film was a poor version of the novel.
It almost always is. Many producers want to adapt a novel, then have no idea how to do it properly. Plus they usually end up making so many changes that the film version seldom resembles what was on the pages that people loved in the first place.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Another problem is that a movie adaptation cannot compete with your imagination when reading a book.
True. Although there are certain exceptions like Jaws and The Godfather where the films were vastly superior to the book.

In this case however I believe the filmmakers did an exceptional job adapting the film for an American audience.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
True. Although there are certain exceptions like Jaws and The Godfather where the films were vastly superior to the book.

In this case however I believe the filmmakers did an exceptional job adapting the film for an American audience.
In regards to Jaw, I totally agree. As to The Godfather, I agree to a lesser extent because there are some things in the book that are not in the films and they were some of my favorite parts of the book.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
In regards to Jaw, I totally agree. As to The Godfather, I agree to a lesser extent because there are some things in the book that are not in the films and they were some of my favorite parts of the book.
Which parts? I recall all the best parts made it into the film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which parts? I recall all the best parts made it into the film.
One was they showed how badass Luca Brasi was and why they had to eliminate him before they moved on Vito Corleone. Another was the hospital sequence when Corleone brought his sons to visit his dying consigliere Genco Abbandando. There was probably a couple more that I can't remember right now as it's been 30 years since I last read the book.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The film is a series of present day moments and then flashbacks to a younger version of Otto. A younger actor plays the Otto character in the flashbacks and he does a pretty good Tom Hanks. Take note Mr. Scorsese, you do not need to use that CGI de-aging process.

The younger Otto was played by Truman Hanks, one of Tom's sons. I had to check, because I was thinking it was a different son, Colin Hanks, but it was Truman.

And when did you change your screen handle? ;)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Ha really that was his son! That’s why his Tom Hanks was so good. I did not look him up but some of the side shots of him I thought Nice casting!

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
One was they showed how badass Luca Brasi was and why they had to eliminate him before they moved on Vito Corleone. Another was the hospital sequence when Corleone brought his sons to visit his dying consigliere Genco Abbandando. There was probably a couple more that I can't remember right now as it's been 30 years since I last read the book.
The scene where Corleone brought his sons to visit Genco was filmed but cut. It is included in the deleted scenes section of the discs. It was also included in the body of the film when it was shown on commercial TV as the Godfather Saga placed right after Connie’s wedding sequence.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nice movie. One thing I didn't get, did he commit suicide? At the end he said he wouldn't and his wife wants him to move on.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How come he had prepared a letter next to him, knowing he was going to die?

I couldn't see the inline spoilers icon on a phone!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
How come he had prepared a letter next to him, knowing he was going to die?

I couldn't see the inline spoilers icon on a phone!
Because he knew he had heart issues and prepared a letter just in case. He definitely did NOT commit suicide.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks