What's new

A Man Called Otto (2022) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I was going to skip this but thanks to the positive reviews from you guys I saw it today.

It was utterly charming and entertaining from beginning to end. Hanks is better than he has been in years. I read the original book and loved it years ago but forgot many of the details.

Predictable sure but a terrific audience pleasing film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Why ‘A Man Called Otto’ Worked Outside New York City & Los Angeles With $15M-Plus Wide Opening​

anthony-dalessandro-1.jpg

By Anthony D'Alessandro
January 16, 2023 10:09am
A Man Called Otto

Sony's 'A Man Called Otto'Sony Pictures
In an age of streaming and Covid concerns when many older-skewing dramatic films find their way safely into homes, Sony Pictures rolled the dice on the Tom Hanks drama A Man Called Otto. It grossed $15.3 million in its third–weekend wide expansion over the four-day MLK weekend, well surpassing its $8M projection.

RELATED STORY​

Moviegoing Happens Over MLK: ‘Avatar 2’ Soars With $40M 4-day, ‘M3GAN’ Moves $21M+, ‘Puss In Boots 2′ Hits $112M, ’Otto’ Bright At $15M+ – Update​

The result surprised rival distributors, many who were underwhelmed initially by the Marc Forster-directed title’s exclusive four-theater run in New York City and Los Angeles over New Year’s weekend, which did a $14,000 per-theater average/$56K opening. Not to mention the lukewarm reviews (69% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes).

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
To my surprise, I loved this movie. Thanks to the positive reviews here I gave it a chance. It's more dark and dramatic in places than the trailer lets on, but that's a big reason why it worked for me. Both emotional and funny, with some poignant life lessons, the movie earns an "A" from my pov.

(I didn't even mind that Chevy clearly paid a "promotional consideration" for vehicles that appear in the film. In fact, I liked the car gags.)

PS I forgot to mention that my small Cinemark theater was about 70% full! I sat in the second row, which was otherwise empty, but most of the main seating area was occupied. The audience was clearing loving the movie too, with quite a few laughs and chuckles throughout.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, for those interested, the original Swedish film (En man som heter Ove -- A Man Called Ove) is currently streaming on Amazon Prime.
I bought the Vudu HD digital the other day and watched it last night. I like the American film better, but the original is very good too.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yikes that movie looks horrible. :D

It looks like a vanity project for Tom Brady since he produced it.

Apparently it's loosely inspired by an actual "fan club" of older women - very loosely.

It's nice to see a film that features an older female cast, and it's hard to argue against the talent involved.

But yeah... it almost certainly will be pretty terrible.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Apparently it's loosely inspired by an actual "fan club" of older women - very loosely.
My mother said they had a story on the real ladies on the CBS Sunday Morning news last week. There's only a few of them left and they said they still had never met Brady in person. So apparently he's shunning the real ladies, but taking their story to make a movie.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
But "80" just looks dopey as hell.
Agreed and I don't think it's going to do $100 million or anything but it probably cost nothing (no offense to the ladies in the movie but they aren't in a position to be demanding $20 million a movie) so it'll be profitable because it'll appeal to enough older ladies that it'll make some dough.

Anyway, back to discussing Otto... :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks