What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Question Dick Van Dyke show DVD vs Blu ray set (1 Viewer)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I recently finished a rewatch of this show through the blu rays. The blu ray picture and audio quality is amazing; much better than the dvds!!

Looking back on the show, I'd say it's the cast chemistry that truly makes it great! The writing can be iffy at times, but however it is, it is always elevated by the excellent cast and how they come off on screen with one other!

If I had to rank the seasons, from best to worst, I'd go 3, 2, 4, 5, 1. IMHO, Carl Reiner was struggling to find a unique voice with season 1. He found it in season 2, but supervising all the scripts, he got tired towards its end. He was very lucky to find Persky and Denoff! Together, the three reinvigorated the show and made for an excellent season 3 and 4! I think season 5 was marred by less participation by Carl Reiner and a reliance on outside writers who weren't as good at capturing the unique tone of the series. They probably ended at the right time. Overall, a great show; an amazing cast :)

Last edited:

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Isn't the trombone solo in Gomer Pyle's closing credits sometimes edited out?
I'm not an expert in Gomer Pyle closing credits but I think it was only used in one or two seasons. The trend was to make closing credits shorter and I think that part eventually was cut out.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I was about to add that yes, the STAR TREK theme is also shortened on H&I and MeTV. What's amazing to me about all of these is the idea that shaving a few seconds would make that much difference. Still, I think I prefer this to the butchery that Antenna TV and cable channels do by reducing the credits to a small screen while the next show is starting in another window. I really HATE that.
H&I also shrinks the credits sometimes but they may not be consistent. Even worse are those networks that display the closing credits over the last few seconds of the episode itself (COZI and Get TV).
I saw something strange the other day on Antenna TV as I Dream of Jeannie segued over to Bewitched. After Jeannie's tag the picture shrunk and Bewitched's episode began in the larger screen. However, instead of showing Jeannie's credits in the smaller window they replayed the tag that was just shown. It was silent because the audio went to the Bewitched episode so all you could see were the actors mouthing unheard words. They never did show the credits.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
So sorry that I used the term "syndication" in a manner that offended you enough to beat a dead horse...
Meh, it still applies. ME-TV is a network but not one of the networks. The Dick Van Dyke Show ended network production decades ago and the syndication package (a term still in use) was eventually sold to ME-TV for broadcast until those rights end (whenever they decide it's no longer profitable). If my local station bought it (and they do still exist), it would still be called "syndication." Just because ME-TV did, doesn't suddenly take TDVDS out of syndication. The term doesn't need to be retired, the definition needs to be adjusted to conform to the changing marketplace.

Otherwise, we need a new term for it and we're too freaking old to accept that.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Meh, it still applies. ME-TV is a network but not one of the networks. The Dick Van Dyke Show ended network production decades ago and the syndication package (a term still in use) was eventually sold to ME-TV for broadcast until those rights end (whenever they decide it's no longer profitable). If my local station bought it (and they do still exist), it would still be called "syndication." Just because ME-TV did, doesn't suddenly take TDVDS out of syndication. The term doesn't need to be retired, the definition needs to be adjusted to conform to the changing marketplace.

Otherwise, we need a new term for it and we're too freaking old to accept that.
What needs to be changed is people's misuse of the word, but that's unlikely when people here can't learn simple facts like it's Hawaii Five-0 with a zero not the letter O (both series).

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Thankfully, we have members who have no problem correcting us...

good-one.jpg

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
What needs to be changed is people's misuse of the word, but that's unlikely when people here can't learn simple facts like it's Hawaii Five-0 with a zero not the letter O (both series).

The series was sold to syndication. It is still considered "in syndication." What would you call it then?

Also...

IMG_9673.jpeg

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
The series was sold to syndication. It is still considered "in syndication." What would you call it then?

Also...

View attachment 221585
So you only believe what a corporation tells you to think? Why do they have to have different titles anyway? Because CBS says so? Other remakes/reboots have had the same title as the original with no problem. Besides, the title of both Hawaii Five-0 series refer to the NUMBER fifty. Either the 50th state (1968) or the number on McGarrett's football jersey (2010). If you spell the NUMBER 50 with the letter O you have more problems than being corrected for being wrong. Unfortunately (for you), I'm a clear thinker who uses common sense and FACTS. And yes, Quincy only has 7 seasons.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
So you only believe what a corporation tells you to think? Why do they have to have different titles anyway? Because CBS says so? Other remakes/reboots have had the same title as the original with no problem. Besides, the title of both Hawaii Five-0 series refer to the NUMBER fifty. Either the 50th state (1968) or the number on McGarrett's football jersey (2010). If you spell the NUMBER 50 with the letter O you have more problems than being corrected for being wrong. Unfortunately (for you), I'm a clear thinker who uses common sense and FACTS. And yes, Quincy only has 7 seasons.
Is there no limit to what evil corporations will do? In this case, those bastards at CBS claim the O was actually an 0 in the original series, which would obviously be an outrageous lie except the graphic from the series supports the claim. CBS made a point of emphasizing the numeral in the remake because an internet search with a numeral produces more hits. It appears the unsupported statement on Wikipedia is incorrect.

IMG_4980.png

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It's gonna be okay. Really. it's just TV.

I don't care what your point or your emotions are on this. Don't speak to me like that again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykayjohnson73
Recent bookmarks