1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Question Dick Van Dyke show DVD vs Blu ray set

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by morasp, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Message #1 of 13 Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2018
    morasp

morasp Second Unit

steve
    Does anyone know if the "remastered from 35mm negatives" 2015 Dick Van Dyke DVD set is the same remaster as the three year older 2012 Blu ray set?

2. Message #2 of 13 Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I only own the original complete series DVD set and the Blu-Ray successor, so this isn't 1st hand confirmation of what you're seeking an answer for. But the press release at the time stressed that these were the same transfers from the original 35 mm negatives as those used for the earlier Blu-Ray set, so it should be a safe bet (The older transfers were a generation removed from the negatives, as I recall).

Going off on a bit of a tangent, I wonder if those "episodes-only" DVD season set rereleases from 2014 that appeared after the Blu-Ray's (but before this complete series DVD reissue followed the next year), actually were only the episodes themselves with no bonus content? Their thinking was that the people buying this were only doing so to upgrade and would still have the old DVD's on hand if they wanted to view the extras that largely didn't see an upgrade.

But the press release for the compete series set from 2015 makes it clear that these discs are also the remastered versions, yet with all the extras included. So if the 2014 standalone season set reissues really were lacking all bonus content, that means they had to re-encode everything for the 2015 release.

Doesn't make much sense, especially since the standalone season set reissues still are 5 discs per season which has been the standard for this series on DVD. Why leave the extensive selection of extras off if it isn't going to enable you to drop the disc count from 5 discs to 4?

Flashgear and morasp like this.
  3. morasp

morasp Second Unit

steve
    Thanks, how does the Blu ray set look? The HD episodes on Hulu were very good until they dropped most of them.

Flashgear and Regulus like this.
  4. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    The episodes I've seen are in excellent condition! When I purchased this set it only cost about 1/2 what the DVD set costs. What a bargain! :D

LeoA, Flashgear and morasp like this.
  5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I only have the Blu-ray set but I am extremely satisfied with it. In a word: perfection.

Jack K, JohnMor, LeoA and 4 others like this.
  6. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I still had S1 & S2 unopened from Sams when I got the BR complete series for ~$45. I quickly returned them and got back almost enough to pay for the full series upgrade!

Regulus likes this.
  7. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    The blu ray set looks stunning -- a definite upgrade from DVD.

Jack K, JohnMor, LeoA and 1 other person like this.
  8. morasp

morasp Second Unit

steve
    Did you compare them to the 2015 DVDs or the older ones?

9. warnerbro

Darrell
    Yes, I had the original DVDs. And Amazon had the whole set for a dirt-cheap price for a long time. It's a steal. Grab it while you can because the ones they have on Netflix are not as good. Amazon had the whole bluray series for as low as 30 bucks at one point. Now you can buy individual seasons or the whole thing.

Flashgear and morasp like this.
  10. morasp

morasp Second Unit

steve
    It looks like it's really gone up. I was happy with Hulu until they dropped seasons 2-5. Guess I'll just suffer through with Netflix for 2-5 until the price comes down.

Flashgear likes this.
  11. warnerbro

Darrell
    It was originally 300 bucks, then it went down to 150, then for a long time it was 30! Now it's back over 100 bucks. So keep an eye on it and grab it when it goes back down. It probably will.

Flashgear likes this.
  12. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I'm not sure it will go back down. Probably supply is finally starting to dry up a bit.

I'm not sure how many potential sales are left here, but maybe CBS will reissue it like they did with The Twilight Zone.

Doug Wallen and Flashgear like this.
  13. warnerbro

Darrell
    They are starting to release individual episodes in HD colorized so I guess there is continued interest. I'm waiting for the rest of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW and I LOVE LUCY seasons. They are breathtaking in the blu-ray sets. The quality of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW episodes on blu-ray are also like nothing I have seen anywhere else.

Flashgear likes this.