What's new

question about subterranean structure (1 Viewer)

ForresterW

Stunt Coordinator
hi

What are the requirements for a subterranean structure (e.g., bomb shelter) to be self-sufficient for 6 people for about 4 weeks? (power generator, boiler, etc., etc.)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea, how much water does a person need? say a gallon a day for drinking/cooking/washing if you conserve?
Then food, fuel for cooking, waste management, air filtration, power source.. is a generator even feasable?
Beats me. Never really thought about it. Suggest watching "blast from the past" for ideas :D

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Straigt from the U.S. Dod manual PERSONAL PREPAREDNESS in the NUCLEAR AGE [SM-3-11]! Equipment list for a family fallout shelter:

FOOD AND COOKING EQUIPMENT
Water [2-week supply, a minimum of 7 gal. per person]
Food [2-week supply; separate chart provided]
Cooking pans
Eating utensils
Paper plates, cups, and napkins

and so on, incl such items as

Disinfectants and insecticides, including household chlorine (2 pt.) and DDT (1 qt. 5% solution) :D
and
Pocket knife

This type of publication will answer your questions.

ForresterW

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know what DDT is but if it's good for mutants, it's gotta be good for zombies as well, right?

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
All of the above, plus:

If you're in New York City:

A Visa Card

If you're in Montana:

All of the following:

Communications equipment:

For receiving information:

Hand crank AM/FM/Short-wave radio
Scanner capable of scanning Police, Fire & Ambulance frequencies plus the emergency weather services frequencies
TV set with a means to power it.
DC to Daylight Communications Receiver

For communicating:

CB Radios
2-Way Family Radios
Cell phones
Regular Telephone (the telephone system is independently powered and normally won’t be lost when you lose power to your home).
2-meter VHF FM transceiver (requires a license to use, but in emergencies wouldn’t you use one anyway?)
Ham Radio Transceiver (same note as above)
Antennas
Wire

Power:

Generator(s)
Deep Cycle Marine Batteries
Power Inverters
Battery Chargers
Rechargeable batteries for all electronics in the shelter
Solar Cells capable of recharging batteries

Defense/Hunting:

12 Gauge Shotgun
22 Semi-auto rifle
357 Magnum revolver
Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle with scope (or something similar that uses .223)
Ruger Mini-30 Ranch Rifle with scope (or something similar that uses 7.62 x 39 cal)
More Guns
More Guns
More Guns
Tons of ammunition for each weapon

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
You can stretch your ammo purchasing power by getting an 8mm Mauser, such as the fine Czech VZ98/22. There's huge amounts of fine old 8mm ammo floating around. And it will stop almost anything (Grizzly bear, elk, etc.).

Also get a chemical testing set and a geiger counter.

Most of this stuff you can get cheap at places such as www.centuryarms.com and www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/default.asp .

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
can opener? psh, thats why god gave us teeth.

I think i'd stick with .223 or .308, something like the remington 700 VSSF should do the trick for around 550 bucks, accurate, won't rust, won't warp. Unless you live in the mountains of MT or ID I shouldn't think elk nor griz are a concern.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Certain items from your teenager’s chemistry set. Namely, distillation tubes to make a still.

EDIT: Only to be used after you've emptied the 12 cases of your favorite alcoholic beverage that you've stashed.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
8mm Mauser!

That's my hunting rifle. I'm 23, my gramps got a Mauser from the war, brought it here, had it put on a 'sport' stock and handed it down to me when I started hunting at 12. I've only had to scope it in once! Best damn weapon I've ever shot.

/redneck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks