What's new

Question about my Monster HTS 5000 MKII.. (1 Viewer)

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I have a Monster HTS5000 MKII, the plug closest to it would sometimes make my powered sub that was plugged into it "thump" when I turn off a light in another part of the house. So when I installed the HTS5000 I just used the next plug(which doesn't have this problem) but now the power cord is stretched the full 7ft of length which looks bad. If I plug it into the outlet right next to it will the HTS 5000 take of care of this "thump" problem?

P.S. I asked Monster this question after I installed it about a month ago but still have not heard back from them:rolleyes

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'm a little unclear about which plugs (left/right top/bottom) you're talking about. Referencing the image below, I take it you mean that the sub was originally plugged into the rightmost, orange outlet either top or bottom. If you can clarify what you mean by reference to the image, it'd help.

Further, you don't state whether the lights are on the same circuit or what kind of lights they are. I'm going to assume for the moment that they're incadescents.

My understanding on the way the outlets on the 5000 MKII work is that each vertical pair is 'isolated' from the adjacent pair by means of RFI/EMI circuitry. Therefore, looking at the back of the unit, I'd take it that as you move from right to left you get increasing amounts of noise attenuation (filtration). The fact that you can plug it into one set of the Monster outlets and get a pop while moving to the left renders it a non-issue, strongly suggests that the source of AC contamination comes via the AC line itself and isn't air born.

If for some reason you can't either relocate the rack your system is on or reposition it, then there's a couple of approaches you can take.

1) Replace the switches with newer ones that don't bounce. It's possible that the switches are bouncing and that's causing the problem. OTOH, there might be a wiring issue but it's hard to say.

2) Get an extension cord for the sub. That's kind of ugly though and I'd only use it as a temporary measure.

3) Replace the cord with a longer one, say 8 or 10 feet. Now if your sub takes a replaceable cord, this is a pretty easy approach and you'll find suitable replacements at MCM Electronics that are inexpensive.

4) If the cord is hardwired, one thing you could do is simply buy a longer cord of the right gauge and just switch cords. Just pay attention to keeping the color coding the same. Run the idea past the vendor of your sub.

Some tech support is just outright piss poor and amounts to nothing other than sending you to your dealer, sending you to a website, or sending you literature. That's what happens when they hire borgs.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
Sorry, should have been more clear. I used to have a plain surge protector plugged into the closest wall outlet. When I turn off a certain light in the house, it would make the subwoofer "thump". When I installed the HTS 5000 I used a different wall outlet to plug the HTS5000 into because I have never heard a thump from my mains when they were plugged into this outlet. Problem is that the plug(no thump) I am currently using is 7ft. away from the HTS5000. The "thump" outlet is about 2.5 ft. away. If I go ahead and plug the HTS5000 into the outlet with the "thump", is it possible that the HTS5000 will take care of that problem? I guess the only way to know is to try. Should have some time over the weekend to try this out. Sorry if it doesn't make any sense. I never have been very good at explaining things:b

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well, sure try it. You've got nothing to lose. If it works, is there a reason why you can't just switch outlets? Also, what kind of light is it and is it on the same circuit? If you don't know what circuit it's on, it'll be a matter of trial and error with you tripping the breakers to identify what's what.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
It's a bathroom light. I'm going do it tomorrow since I have to pull my TV out anyway and I will be back there messing around. Thanks for the response.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well post back with what worked and what didn't. Good luck there Vincent.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
Well, I went ahead and plugged it into the "thump" outlet early yesterday morning and it seems to have gone away now. I guess whatever that problem is/was the HTS5000 is regulating it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks