What's new

Question about DTS formats (1 Viewer)

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
My understanding of the DTS formats is as follows:

DTS ES 6.1: For source material encoded for DTS ES 6.1 (a discrete 6 channel format)?

DTS ES matrix 6.1: takes 5.1 source material and converts it to 6.1?

DTS NEO:6: converts analog material to 6.1 format?

Questions:

1. does the source have to be DTS 5.1 compatible for Matrix 6.1 to work?

2. Is NEO:6 a reasonable alternative to PLII? Will it work with only 5.1 speakers?

3. [unrelated] What does SHARC stand for?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
2-channel said:
NEO is designed to accomplish the same goals as DPL2. Most people who have compared them seem to prefer DPL2, but let your own ears be the judge.
Can't help you with SHARC.
M.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know exactly what SHARC stands for, but it is hte type of processor that Denon and Kenwood's high end line uses. I believe the SHARC chips are made by Analog Devices, they are high quality, and I know that Denon uses 32bit ones.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
OK, I ran a search. SHARC=Super Harvard Architecture Computer. Whatever that means.

I just got a Denon 3801 that has NEO:6 but no DPL2, and has a "SHARC" listed in the specs. That is why I ask these questions.

David John

Stunt Coordinator
DTS 6.1 discreet has 6 separate channels of information recorded on the source material.

DTS-ES (6.1) which has a rear surround channel encoded into the L/R surrounds channels. The decoder extracts this channel from the L/R surround channels for playback as the rear surround channel.

DTS-ES decoding can be used on DTS 5.1 source material also, where it creates a rear surround channel form the L/R surrounds. This doesn't give quite the same performance and DTS-ES encoded material.

I hope that is a clear explanation.

The ES matrix encoded material has 6.1 channels of info, but it's only recorded as 5.1 channels of info.

The ES discreet has 6.1 channels of info recorded as 6.1 different channels.

JaleelK

Second Unit
I don't know exactly what SHARC stands for, but it is hte type of processor that Denon and Kenwood's high end line uses. I believe the SHARC chips are made by Analog Devices, they are high quality, and I know that Denon uses 32bit ones.>>>>>>>>

Lexicon does as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks