What's new

Questions Concerning DTS MA 2.0 Mono and Stereo Tracks on Blu-rays (From Labels Like Scream/Kino) and How Older AVRs Process Them (4 Viewers)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
If you’re unwilling to change the player’s settings as mentioned above, then yes, you’ll be limited to only one good sweet spot. You might experiment with your speaker placement as you shouldn’t be getting severe combing effects. When I was using a two channel system I was able to get a nice wide sweet spot after careful setup.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
If you’re unwilling to change the player’s settings as mentioned above, then yes, you’ll be limited to only one good sweet spot. You might experiment with your speaker placement as you shouldn’t be getting severe combing effects. When I was using a two channel system I was able to get a nice wide sweet spot after careful setup.
Well, the front channels are definitely positioned correctly and are 100-percent equidistant from my listening position, without any toe-in even necessary. Perhaps I was a bit overzealous by suggesting I experience nasty or heavy combing; it's not, really, that bad -- there are moments when I can detect a locked-in center image when characters are talking and the format is in some form of two-channel Master Audio. But it seems to come and go.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Every DTS-HD MA 2.0 track that is anything other than straight two channel left and right stereo will not decode properly
Even 2.0 stereo tracks don't decode "properly" in that there's no way to "matrix" them into the surround channels via any kind of upmixer (I am hoping and praying the newer AVRs allow for this and automatically remember the last mode used to do so, but from what I am reading they don't -- at least they don't switch automatically the next time you listen to such a soundtrack) -- there are quite a few Blu-rays I own with actual DTS-HD MA 2.0 STEREO tracks, such as Tales From the Hood and Ninja III (both from Scream! Factory), and these only play from the left/right front channels, as well.
and will not sound correct when left to the receiver to decode
But from what I'm being told from folks like Peter, the tracks CAN sound somewhat correct if you're 100-percent in the sweet spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks