What's new

Question about 4K compatibility with existing sound system (1 Viewer)

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
This is very preliminary thinking. I am considering an OLED 4K purchase maybe in another year.

Currently I have a Panasonic 50" Plasma which still looks great. My sound system uses a Yamaha HTR-3066 amplifier which is five or six years old. At the time it said it would pass an HDMI signal which could handle 4K. In the manual is lists the highest compatible resolution as 576/50Hz, 4K/ 30Hz, 25 Hz, 24Hz.

As my little system is currently set up my blu ray player passes its signal via HDMI to the amplifier and then back out to the TV, also by HDMI. I have it set up this way to take advantage of the better quality blu ray soundtracks such as Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio which require an HDMI connection.

However, assuming that I bought a 4K display as well as a UHD player, I am wondering if this could pass the full UHD signal which includes wider color gamuts and things like HDR and Dolby Vision?

Since I live in a small condo, making an upgrade to something like ATMOS is not in the cards---my neighbors would riot. However I think 5.1, similar to what I have now, would be fine.

I see the following alternatives if the amp could not pass the better quality video signal:

1. Buy a new amp which could pass the full UHD signal and use the 5.1 existing speaker system.

2. Use some kind of HMDI splitter to send the audio signal from the UHD player to the amp and the video signal to the tv (which might degrade the signal).

3. In my experience none of the tvs I have had can take a digital audio signal and pass it back out to the amplifier in its original format. What I have seen is a full 5.1 signal goes in and a folded down 2 channel signal comes back out of the tv. And so far I do not see any tv which has an HDMI output which would be required to keep the sound in its best format.

Any information or opinions would be welcome. As I said I love my Panasonic Plasma and once it is gone I will have to give up 3-D which this display does quite well. So this change to 4K is not eminent.

Thanks in advance and I hope I posted this in the correct forum.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
1. Buy a new amp which could pass the full UHD signal and use the 5.1 existing speaker system.

That’s probably going to be your best/only option to get the full UHD signal to your TV without losing anything along the way. But no worries about not taking advantage of Atmos - just because a receiver can do it doesn’t mean that you have to use it. I’m pretty sure that they also make receivers that do UHD without Atmos, so if you’re sure that you’ll never have a use for Atmos, you may be able to save a few bucks by getting something that doesn’t do it. It’s also worth checking of refurbished versions of recent models.

But I’m far from an expert when it comes to sound. There are others here who can give much more specific advice on what brands and models to look at.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I wouldn't worry too much if any new receiver you decide to purchase has Atmos support - - it may be difficult to find a new one that completely supports 4K video and doesn't have it. I have a Denon X3300W with Atmos support, but use it to support the same 7.1 setup I had previously run with my old Pioneer Elite receiver that did not support 4K video.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I have found a Panasonic UHD player which has two HDMI outputs which apparently is the perfect solution. One can go to the receiver and the other to the tv.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
That is what I am seeing. That will certainly simplify things when I upgrade. If only the new OLED 4K sets had 3-D....

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a UHD player that didn’t have dual hdmi outputs. Usually one of them is designated as audio only, FYI.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You pass the video from audio/video HDMI output of the UHD player to the TV and use the audio only HDMI connection to your receiver. That way you don't have to worry about upgrading the receiver for 4K passthrough. Your existing audio setup should be fine as long as you don't care about ATMOS or DTS-X.

Edit: Oops. Sorry, missed your post about the Panasonic player.

I think you will be more than happy with the OLED picture quality, so long as you do not miss the 3D functionality. LG especially dropped the ball when they eliminated passive 3D of off their 4K sets.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well... looks like I am going to take the leap. I will be picking up a Sony - 55" Class - OLED - A9G along with a Sony UBPX700 player on Saturday. And the 4K disc of 2001. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my 8 year old Panasonic Plasma. Here's hoping I will not be disappointed.

Congrats, Jim! I am going to be VERY interested in your reports after getting the new set.

I am still motoring on with a fully 4k system (recently updated to Atmos) but which is anchored by my 55" 2012-vintage Panasonic Plasma set. I don't see me upgrading the plasma until it goes south. Although Peg says if I buy her a new house she'll let me buy a new TV! :D

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I hated to give up my plasma, especially since the 3-D was great. it is going to a new home with a good friend.

As for the new panel.... it is damned impressive. I only have one 4K disc (2001) but the standard blu ray upconversion is spectacular. As with plasma, the blacks are superb. I am seeing lots of detail I've never seen before in movies I've seen hundreds of times. And for some reason too the new UHD player seems to have made the sound better even though I am using the same sound system as before. The tv's sound system is remarkably good. Still need to do some more tweaking to get it perfect, but I am thrilled.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks