What's new

Q: Seattle SVS (or sub) expert? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Zapatka

Stunt Coordinator
Folks,

Is there any kind soul in the Seattle area (specifically Federal Way) that considers themselves an SVS or subwoofer expert and would like to come play with my setup?

I am having a heck of a time getting enjoyable response from my SVS 20-39PCi, and would really appreciate a second set of ears and know-how in re-calibrating the sub.

Of course, refreshments would be provided...

Cheers,

Patrick

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Patrick,
Have you read through the HTF FAQ entry that explains calibration? What are the current problems with the sound?

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Hey Patrick,

What seems to be the problem?

There are a few of us in the Puyallup, Spanaway area that have SVS subs.

Jeff Aguilar

Patrick Zapatka

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

The quick answer - it is bottoming out and sounds awful...

Present settings:

Phase at midpoint (though I have tried points all around the dial).

Power - On.

Crossover bypass - Off.

Crossover - All the way to the right.

Boost - 0 db.

Receiver set to control crossover, and calibrated via SPL meter.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Phase at midpoint (though I have tried points all around the dial).
Hi Patrick:

The 20-39PCi has a 0/180 phase switch, not a dial. Is this a 20-39PC-Plus?

Also, it is awfully hard to bottom a properly calibrated SVS even at pretty loud playback, except if you get near true Reference Level.

I can try to help you if you elaborate a bit more on your calibration technique as it relates to the entire system.

Regards,

Ed

Patrick Zapatka

Stunt Coordinator
Would any of you guys like to come over and play on Tuesday evening, June 17?

That is almost two weeks notice (and my wife is on a business trip). Cheers,

Patrick

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Patrick, I live in Auburn and have two of the passive 20-39 SVS. Are you using a receiver or Preamp/Processor? Do you have a copy of Avia and a SPL meter? Give me a e-mail at [email protected]. Maybe we can get together.

Where did you see the information on the Ms on Comcast in HD? I called the idiots up last week to find out any new news on locally broadcast in HD and all they said was that there were still in negotiations. But, no date! I've been thinking of adding a Samsung 165 HD receiver. But, if Comcast start broadcasting something more than just HBO and Showtime soon. I'll hold off for a short time.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
No, mine has a dial going from 0-180. It was an original 20-39PC that was upgraded to PCi.
Ah, that explains it - the older 190 watt amp.

Well it sounds like you have some solid offers for hands on help, which will probably be better than trying to solve your problems over the forum. If you get no resolution, repost here and we'll pick up from there.

Regards,

Ed

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor

hehe me to though I dont have an HD yet but gives me more reason to get one:) hehe. I think I'm gonna check some games out on our HD at work, we've got a really nice Mitsubishi Diamond 55" 16:9 HD upstairs we can play with:) hehe.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Patrick, my buddy Jeff (see above) and I could probably swing on by Tuesday night and check things out with you? :D

I'm in the Puyallup South Hill area (Jeff's just 10 or so minutes from me in Spanaway).

Where exactly in Federal Way are you?

E

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I might be game in coming over to take a look. I have 2 of the 16/46 pc's with improved drivers. Hopefully we can figure things out.

It is the day before I go on vacation.

Where abouts are you in Federal Way. I work in Bonney Lake so it would not be a long trek for me to come on out. It is in the opposite way of home though.

Jeff Aguilar

Patrick Zapatka

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the Twin Lakes Country Club area.

Basically, take the 320th St. exit and head west about four miles.

As far as Mariners in HD, they will begin broadcasting them next week (June 10-11) on channel 100. I may be incorrect, but it looks like ALL the home dates will be HD.

Patrick

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I've got a BBQ going this Saturday check out the local meets forum farther down in the main forum area.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Power - On.
Crossover bypass - Off.
Crossover - All the way to the right.
Boost - 0 db.
Receiver set to control crossover, and calibrated via SPL meter.
I don't have a SVS, but doesn't crossover bypass mean bypass the internal crossover? I think you should turn on the bypass (so your receiver's crossover will be doing the work). Right now you've got two contending crossovers (assuming I know what SVS meant by 'crossover bypass'). Double check your receiver settings as well.

Oh yes, if this sub is in a large room or a room with openings then you can bottom the sub with bass-heavy material (assuming you're listening at near reference or reference levels). Remember the sub has to hit 120+dB to cover the LFE and bass from the other channels (during peaks at reference).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks