What's new

PSYCHO to Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by warnerbro

I never get tired of THE MAKING OF PSYCHO. Hearing Janet Leigh's detailed and very eloquent account of her experience make me miss the kind of classy star that is rare nowadays. She is so well-spoken and fascinating to listen to. Class act all the way! I only hope Universal continues to release classics this way with perfect sound and picture. Please bring us SOMEWHERE IN TIME, JAWS, and TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD now in the exact same way and we'll forget about SPARTACUS. This film still packs a huge punch and is so perfect. It is honestly like seeing a brand-new film for the first time. I got a new excited thrill seeing it. I can't even put into words the detail in sight and sound that's here.

The contribution of Janet Leigh (with Charlton Heston and Rick Schmidlin) on the commentary track of the 2-disc SE of Touch of Evil is also a delight. You can add that to the list of titles Universal needs to put out on Blu.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Is this the DVD referenced? Title: Ali Baba & The Forty Thieves Genre: Animation / Anime, Children & Family Sub-Genre: Children's Video, Animation Release Date: 7 July 2009 Directed By: Arthur Lubin Rated: Not Rated Product Type: DVD Catalog #: 1108937 Technical Information Street Date: 7 July 2009 Studio: UNIVERSAL STUDIOS ( UNLS ) Running Time: 87 View Cast For ALI BABA & THE FORTY THIEVES Crew: Art Director:John B. Goodman, Art Director:Richard H. Riedel, Cinematographer:George Robinson, Cinematographer:W. Howard Greene, Composer (Music Score):Edward Ward, Director:Arthur Lubin, Producer:Paul Malvern, Screenwriter:Edmund L. Hartmann Extras: Nr Ali Baba & The Forty Thieves Clr Dvd-Standard

ReggieW

Screenwriter
It's region free!

My understanding is that the blu-ray is representative of a recent restoration.

Eureka will always make their blu-rays region-free when possible. Apparently, they've licensed out a great number of classic films from Fox (Prince Valiant) and Universal (Black Shield of Falworth). As far as the classic titles they've released on Blu thus far, Ali Baba looks far and away the best, imho.

DVDbeaver will probably have a review/comaprison soon

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Information about delivery

tan-top-right-round-corner._V192561933_.gif
Ship Carrier DHLGA Tracking Number: 10120100000311031 Status: In transit
green-pixel._V192197486_.gif
Order #: 026-1594520-1949131 Dispatch Date: 13 Aug 2010 Destination: Roanoke, VA, United States Estimated Arrival: 21 Aug 2010
tan-bottom-left-round-corner._V192561934_.gif
tan-bottom-right-round-corner._V192200155_.gif

tan-top-left-round-corner._V192200147_.gif
Track your package   Date Time Location Event Details 13 Aug 2010 08:04:08 PM Gourock Inverclyde UK Order has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit  

Finally arrived today - five days after the estimate and 13 days after shipping!

Icaro

Grip
Real Name
Massimo
Ok, confirm the quality of the transfer, the same Hitchcock would be moved. but looking more closely, I would give a rating of 9 on 10, I think some artifact was introduced: Light use of DNR, Posterization, Color-banding and solarization, but I have found no trace of Edge Enhancement. I state that are no longer "fresh" vision, then I don't remember the scenes perfectly accurate, place this I remember now (all frames, high-resolution 1920x1080): Here I think is present the color-banding and posterization, look at the sharp cut of the shadows (light-dark) on the back of Leigh, or the shadow marked the shoulder strap of her bra: ___________________________________________________________________________ even here, except that in this scene is the same shot to have a "resolution" as it were low due to poor lighting and the type of camera used, I think here in addition to color-banding, sharp cut between light and dark, takes a hand also the DNR, to give that sense of "gummy" to the scene: ____________________________________________________________________________ same situation here, certainly the most difficult scene and ruined, here I think is most obvious use of DNR, to contain the damage caused by weather or bad storage (To me this sequence with scratches, not perfectly conserved, really liked it, some remember the analog nature of the shot on film): _____________________________________________________________________________ here on the face of Leigh of posterization and banding, look at the stains left by the shadows: ______________________________________________________________________________ But here on the curtain, Stains from sunburn highlighted by the DNR, during the view on the move is more evident (at least on my video chain the stains fry): ______________________________________________________________________________ said that, maybe I misunderstood certain details, But what is important at the end (separate defects markedly visible, on certain transfers, and this is not the case[/ U], what counts is the pleasure to view with which the transfer, manages to involve us, and Psycho now on HD succeeded in full. Sorry for my bad English

Dave MJ

Second Unit
I'm suprised no one has mentioned this so far, but the sound effects HAVE been changed. Sound effects have been added, replaced and left out for the new mix. It is quite noticable throughout the film. This isn't a matter of cleaning up the old effects, they are new sounds altogether. Granted I have seen Psycho dozens of times, so I am more sensitive to it than most people.

Most of the changes are minor, but they did (stupidly) mess with the shower scene. The sound of the shower running is totally different, as is the opening of the curtain and the popping of the rings when Marion pulls the curtain down. They added a new squeaking sound when she turns on the shower that was never there. The sound of the shower is also mixed louder than in the original. When the camera pans over to the window and Norman runs out of the house, the foley effects of the door slamming and his footsteps are missing altogether. All of these are relatively minor, and most people would never notice. But it really bugs me and takes me out of the scene. They could easily have made the scene play exactly as it did in the original but instead they felt the need to "improve" it and that is annoying.

The music mix is generally lower throughout, so it loses some intensity. However, the French company that created the stereo music mix did a great job, it really sounds good. I hope a CD is forthcoming. It's just a shame that whoever did the final mix didn't have more respect for the original sound effects.

Fortunately, the mono track is indeed the original mono track (not a reduction of the new mix) and it sounds great. And it is the default soundtrack (on the UK disc anyway).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow, Dave. You waited almost ten years to make your first post...but what a post.

I'm sure that will give a lot of people something to chew on and think about for awhile.

I would be surprised that someone would tinker so much with a sfx and music mix...especially during such an iconic scene as the shower scene.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I would be surprised that someone would tinker so much with a sfx and music mix...especially during such an iconic scene as the shower scene.

Well, according to Dave, they at least left the original mono track unaltered. I guess it's debateable whether it's alright to spruce up certain other aspects of the *new* audio mix since the new mix isn't the original unaltered one by definition anyway -- of course, that's assuming they make solid, seamless alterations that won't distract/detract from the overall experience.

_Man_

Dave MJ

Second Unit
I have definitely posted before, though infrequently. Not sure why the counter says 1 post.

Parts of the new mix are well done and I think most people will enjoy it with the 5.1 music track, which sounds great. Most of my comments are nipicks. I just wish they had left the sound effects alone. The sound of the shower running in particular sounds like a brand new recording of a shower (which I imagine it is) and it doesn't fit. And the missing foley is just sloppy.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave MJ

Parts of the new mix are well done and I think most people will enjoy it with the 5.1 music track, which sounds great. Most of my comments are nipicks. I just wish they had left the sound effects alone. The sound of the shower running in particular sounds like a brand new recording of a shower (which I imagine it is) and it doesn't fit. And the missing foley is just sloppy.

Re-working audio can be extremely challenging. The fewer the extant elements, the greater the challenge.

We chose to take Vertigo to stereo after discovering partial 3-track full-coats on the score.

The problem was that all of the original audio stems, (music, effects, dialogue), as well as the final fully mixed three-stripe, had been junked.

Hitchcock left multiple layers of extremely specific notes on audio as the sound was built and screened.

Our intent was to mix in the stereo music, but as no individual tracks survived, it had to be mixed (in sync) on top of the old

music, which, among other problems necessitated a slightly higher level. Foley had to be re-recorded, and dialogue removed

from the only surviving track on the film, which was a used optical print.

The studio sound dept, a really wonderful and talented group, made the decision to add a few more effects than

would have been approved, hence situations such as birds in the dead forest.

Overall, we feel that the tracks works well (with the exception of the added material), especially in 70mm.

All of this is to make the point that there may have been reasons why certain things were done on Psycho,

and little was probably based upon whims.

RAH

Torsten Kaiser

Film Restoration & Preservation
Insider
Real Name
I do not know what kind of monitor(ing equipment) you use but I would strongly recommend you have it at the very least calibrated. None of the complaints you mentioned pop up here (neither on disc nor when viewing your posted screen grabs). As for the "DNR", there seems to have been some degraining but only partially used and predominatly with restraint, so much so that it was done possibly only with the aid of the encoder (or the creation of the BD video files).

TK

Originally Posted by Icaro ______________________________________________________________________________ said that, maybe I misunderstood certain details, But what is important at the end (separate defects markedly visible, on certain transfers, and this is not the case[/ U], what counts is the pleasure to view with which the transfer, manages to involve us, and Psycho now on HD succeeded in full. Sorry for my bad English

Icaro

Grip
Real Name
Massimo
My video equipment consists: player Sony BDP-s550,  processor Radiance XS, Vpj JVC_RS35,

all perfectly calibrated.

however also if during authoring, the DNR has been used,

I do not see shades, but sudden cuts between light and dark,

if no color-banding then is a classic example of  the limits of the current standard blu-ray 8 bit color

Sorry for my bad English

Icaro

Grip
Real Name
Massimo
Sorry

excuse me 

but i do not know why

but for me it is impossible write on this forum,

has a structure too complicated:

the copy and  paste function can not be used

messages disappear, double post, and messages that can not be edited.

and all this probably not good, for my poor and miserable 56K connection.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Massimo:

What browser are you using? What operating system does your computer use?

What happens when you try to write something? You say the structure is too complicated. In what way?

Torsten Kaiser

Insider
Real Name
Massimo,

Please (re)check the equipment chain you have. There must be something wrong, and it may be the setting on the projector (check iris and gamma, best with proper reference testpattern discs such as from Joe Kane [Video Essentials] or QTec [BD from Japan]). I can tell you from our Class 1 studio equipment (including multiformer; i.e. Waveformer & Vectorscope) as well as our 2K Projection and native 2K+ Workstation 10-bit Displays - which have to be check re: calibration very frequently - that NONE of the problems you noted are visible on either disc or your own screenshots posted on this forum website. It (the effect you attribute wrongly to the BD signal) also has nothing to do with limits of 8-bit depth; PSYCHO is B/W and 8-bit would not pose a problem in the way you described.

Originally Posted by Icaro

My video equipment consists: player Sony BDP-s550, processor Radiance XS, Vpj JVC_RS35,

all perfectly calibrated.

however also if during authoring, the DNR has been used,

I do not see shades, but sudden cuts between light and dark,

if no color-banding then is a classic example of the limits of the current standard blu-ray 8 bit color

Sorry for my bad English

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks