What's new

PSYCHO to Blu Ray (2 Viewers)

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I have a question about the new 5.1 DTS track that I'm hoping someone can answer. In the new supplement called PSYCHO SOUND they claim they did not add anything new. They say everything they used was pulled from the original mono track. They claim they have new software that is able to extract any sound element and place it in any speaker they choose. It sounds awesome, but after reading several of the above posts, I'm wondering if they did add sound that was not originally there.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
They are referring to the music. A French company called Audionamix used a special process to extract and isolate individual instruments from the mono music track and then mix it into 5.1 stereo. And they did a very good job considering the age and relative low fidelity of the original mono track.

I can confirm that sound effects were definitely changed and new ones added throughout the mix. Direct comparison to the mono track leaves no doubt. Some replaced existing ones, some are completely new where there was no sound effect in the original. The shower scene is the most notable: The sound of the shower turning on and running is completely different for instance, as is the curtain opening and the popping of the shower curtain rings. The stabbing sounds are the originals. Examples of sound effects added include a squeak when Marion turns on the shower and a sound when Lila hits the lightbulb in the cellar at the end. The sound of the shower running is louder than in the original and somewhat dimishes the impact of the music, which is slightly dialed down compared to the original. Of all the scenes to mess with, I have no idea why they chose the shower scene.

Some scenes are untouched, such as the murder of Arbogast. The sounds effects are exactly the same and the scene is actually more frightening with the stereo music and increased dynamic range. This is what they should have done with the shower scene.

I will try to put together a few comparison examples in the next couple of days.

Originally Posted by warnerbro

I have a question about the new 5.1 DTS track that I'm hoping someone can answer. In the new supplement called PSYCHO SOUND they claim they did not add anything new. They say everything they used was pulled from the original mono track. They claim they have new software that is able to extract any sound element and place it in any speaker they choose. It sounds awesome, but after reading several of the above posts, I'm wondering if they did add sound that was not originally there.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
In the extra "Psycho Sound" on the blu-ray they specifically state that nothing was changed, just repositioned or remixed, but nothing added or subtracted.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

I can confirm that sound effects were definitely changed and new ones added throughout the mix. Direct comparison to the mono track leaves no doubt. Some replaced existing ones, some are completely new where there was no sound effect in the original. The shower scene is the most notable: The sound of the shower turning on and running is completely different for instance, as is the curtain opening and the popping of the shower curtain rings. The stabbing sounds are the originals. Examples of sound effects added include a squeak when Marion turns on the shower and a sound when Lila hits the lightbulb in the cellar at the end. The sound of the shower running is louder than in the original and somewhat dimishes the impact of the music, which is slightly dialed down compared to the original. Of all the scenes to mess with, I have no idea why they chose the shower scene.

Unless the sounds effects are in poor condition or completely missing, once again, a lack of respect for the original artists. Am I missing something? Is there a good reason for this? Do they think Psycho wouldn't be scary enough without these "enhancements."

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Dave MJ

Well done in spotting those changes to the sound effects Dave. I hadn't noticed them myself on first viewing but I checked some of your examples against the mono track and you are, of course, correct. I particularly don't understand the need to delete the sound of the door closing and Norman's footsteps as he runs out of the house after the shower murder. I still prefer the sound of Herrmann's music in the mono track which seems to me to have a more darker, stark sound, which is dissipated in some way by making the music more spacious.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

I presume you were referring to Vertigo when writing that the sound dept added sounds that would not have not been approved. The way you wrote it, it appears the sound department, with out permission, added sound effects that are not original to the movie. They weren't replacing sounds that were in poor condition or missing, but added sound effects they probably knew wouldn't be approved. This appears to show a lack of respect for the original artists. Something I would not expect from studio personnel.

Unless the sounds effects are in poor condition or completely missing, once again, a lack of respect for the original artists. Am I missing something? Is there a good reason for this? Do they think Psycho wouldn't be scary enough without these "enhancements."

I'm not seeing where the lack of respect is. The original mono track is included on the release and the changed track is an option, not forced.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow

I'm not seeing where the lack of respect is. The original mono track is included on the release and the changed track is an option, not forced.

And the mono track sounds fantastic -- far better than I've ever heard it (and it's the default track when loading the disc).

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Gary16

In the extra "Psycho Sound" on the blu-ray they specifically state that nothing was changed, just repositioned or remixed, but nothing added or subtracted.

I have to go back and watch that featurette again, but I thought those were the guys that worked on the music. If they are referring to the sound effects, then they either flat out lied, or the changes were made after the interviews were done.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Douglas R

Well done in spotting those changes to the sound effects Dave. I hadn't noticed them myself on first viewing but I checked some of your examples against the mono track and you are, of course, correct. I particularly don't understand the need to delete the sound of the door closing and Norman's footsteps as he runs out of the house after the shower murder. I still prefer the sound of Herrmann's music in the mono track which seems to me to have a more darker, stark sound, which is dissipated in some way by making the music more spacious.
It does seem odd that foley would be missing considering they went to the effort of replacing and adding so much throughout the film. I can only guess it was a mistake. You would think that they would have meticulously compared the entire shower sequence repeatedly to the original to make it match as closely as possible, but it seems to be the part with the most changes.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow

The part where they added sounds that would not be approved. I took that to mean not approved by the studio if they new about it.

A lot of the stereo remixes that I have heard or read about have this problem of missing foley, added foley, changed music, etc. Someone is saying that Sleeping Beauty is also missing some cues (although I don't know what those are). I almost assume now that if a remix is being done, that it is not 100% lik the original. Thank goodness the mono track is there and not a downmix.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

The part where they added sounds that would not be approved. I took that to mean not approved by the studio if they new about it.
Obviously the studio knew about it, they're releasing it. In any case, the point is completely moot when the original track is provided, which it is.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
So, is the consensus that they did add some new sound effects to the 7.1 surround track that didn't exist in the original mono soundtrack and then gave the impression in the PSYCHO SOUND documentary that they did not add anything? Is that clear as mud?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by warnerbro

So, is the consensus that they did add some new sound effects to the 7.1 surround track that didn't exist in the original mono soundtrack and then gave the impression in the PSYCHO SOUND documentary that they did not add anything? Is that clear as mud?

There are some minor changes to the sound effects in the 5.1 (it's not 7.1) surround track. The PSYCHO SOUND featurette tends to give the impression that sound effects derived solely from the original mono soundtrack because the sound editor says "We're not here to recreate what was already created in this film". In an interview, the Audionamix CEO does say "We didn't change anything" but this is part of an interview (split into different parts) in which he is discussing the music - not the effects.  

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
So, they didn't change the music, but possibly changed the sound effects! I thought those raindrops and crickets were a bit too good to be true.

jt19006

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Mr. Harris - can you explain what you mean by the "entire correct original version"? I am having a discussion on another forum concerning the seemingly more complete version that has been shown on German television and is outlined at the link below. Do you have any knowledge of whether the domestic version was censored? Thanks.

http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1921

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
My UK steelbook shipped on Monday -- Royal Mail, as always before -- and arrived today, four days later. Yay!! (I'm only mentioning that because people were tracking this for a while.) Can't wait to get into it, probably late tonight.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Gary16

And the mono track sounds fantastic -- far better than I've ever heard it (and it's the default track when loading the disc).

I watched Psycho last night with the mono track (my UK keepcase finally came). I thought it was excellent as well. I will probably revisit some scenes just to hear the new sound; but I really enjoyed it in mono.

Over all I am pleased with the way the movie looked. I've only seen it in its various video incarnations or broadcast TV and this is the best it has ever looked.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
I created a short video comparison of some of the differences and posted it on youtube. Keep in mind that the fidelity is reduced on youtube, so the differences are not as striking as they are on the blu ray.

The major difference in the shower scene is the new sound effect for the shower. It sounds much crisper and more modern than the less obtrusive, duller sound Hitchcock used. Also listen for a new sound when Marion turns the knob. Hitchock made the artistic decision to dial down the shower sound once the curtain is pulled open, allowing the music, screams and stabbing sounds to be emphasized. The new new mix keeps the shower sound turned up, which dimishes the effect of the music in particular. Once again, the youtube sound is not as crisp as the blu ray, so the differences are harder to hear.

Other scenes included: the sound effects for the curtain opening and the rings popping are different. There is missing foley when Norman runs out of the house. Music level is lowered and sound effects added when Lila finds Mother. There are numerous other changes throughout the movie, but these are the most significant IMO.

Link to comparison video:

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Okay, so we're all in agreement that they fibbed in the documentary PSYCHO SOUND when they said they culled all the sound from the original mono soundtrack for the 5.1 DTS surround track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks