What's new

PSYCHO to Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That does sound very different, but is it not possible that they took the original sound and subtracted/reduced certain attributes to yield this sound in the new DTS mix? I could imagine that being done for the (leaner, more defined) shower sound, but I don't know enough to tell how likely that would be -- and if done that way, they technically would not be lying.

_Man_

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
A change using the original as the source for the change is still a change. That means that any statement claiming they "didn't change anything" is false. Period.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by RobertR

A change using the original as the source for the change is still a change. That means that any statement claiming they "didn't change anything" is false. Period.
In order to create a 5.1 track from a mono source they would have to make changes in how the sound is spread across the channels so it's a given that levels and positioning would be changed. I still believe that they are saying they did not recreate any of the effects, etc. They did change the levels and the mix. Otherwise what's the point of a 5.1 track?

If everyone would just listen to the original and superior 2.0 mono track that the blu-ray defaults to, that is what the movie should sound like. I think the mistake that Universal made was in trying to create the 5.1 track and thereby creating unnecessary chaos. Why is anyone listening to the 5.1 track in the first place?

If the movie had originally been mixed that way (impossible in 1960), then any discussion of "changes" to the original 5.1 mix would be valid. But we're talking about a mix that was extracted from the original mono source, so of course it's going to sound different from the original. I have watched the movie now three times with the original mono track. It's a revelation compared to all previous releases of this movie in any form, and for that I'm very grateful to the Universal folks.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
I understand what you are saying, but they are completely new sounds. It's not a matter of repositioning them in the mix. The original effects they do use sound exactly the same, so there is no reason to believe these would sound so different. Plus, there are new sounds added that were never there (the squeak of the shower knob being turned, the whoosh as the shower comes out, the noise when Lila hits the lightbulb, etc) so they could not possibly have come from the mono track.

The new sounds are present and mixed with the old ones throughout the movie, not just in the clips I created. The murder of Arbogast, for example, is done perfectly with the original sound effects (except for new foley when he closes the door, but it doesnt affect the scene).

I watched the Psycho Sound documentary again, and the editing is a bit confusing. It is the guy from the French company that re-engineered the music who states "we didn't change or add anything." He is referring to the music only, not the sound effects, even though they incorrectly show a scene with dialogue and sound effects as an example. And he is correct, the music is not changed, just re-engineered into stereo. And quite well imo.

The Americans who mixed the film are the ones who added the new effects. They do not state that they didn't change the effects. I don't think anyone lied per se. The editing back and forth with the French crew confuses things. One guys says "we didn't reinvent the wheel", but he does not state that they didn't add new effects. In fact, they talk about adding several stereo tracks of rain to the rainstorm. It is ironic that they talk about Hitchcock's artistic intent in the shower scene and yet managed to not follow what he did with the sound. I think this is the typical case of modern sound engineers thinking they know better than the artists "back then" and can "improve" the film.

The new soundtrack is certainly not a travesty, but I am really amazed they didn't take better care to match the shower scene exactly. It is the one scene with the new mix that completely takes me out of the movie. Even with the new sound effects, they should have meticulously matched the mixing levels for a scene with one of the most famous soundtracks of all time. It's quite sloppy really, as is the missing foley when Norman runs out of the house.

Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

That does sound very different, but is it not possible that they took the original sound and subtracted/reduced certain attributes to yield this sound in the new DTS mix? I could imagine that being done for the (leaner, more defined) shower sound, but I don't know enough to tell how likely that would be -- and if done that way, they technically would not be lying.

_Man_

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Sorry, but you are wrong. There are newly recorded sound effects mixed with the original sound effects throughout the film. It has nothing to do with positioning. But you are right that the mono track is superior and the best that it has ever sounded. Kudos to Universal for making it the default sound option and not forcing people to listen to the new mix out of the box. Hopefully that will be the case on the US release.

I think the new music track is very well done, I would love to watch the movie with stereo music and the original sound effects track.

Originally Posted by Gary16

In order to create a 5.1 track from a mono source they would have to make changes in how the sound is spread across the channels so it's a given that levels and positioning would be changed. I still believe that they are saying they did not recreate any of the effects, etc. They did change the levels and the mix. Otherwise what's the point of a 5.1 track?

If everyone would just listen to the original and superior 2.0 mono track that the blu-ray defaults to, that is what the movie should sound like. I think the mistake that Universal made was in trying to create the 5.1 track and thereby creating unnecessary chaos. Why is anyone listening to the 5.1 track in the first place?

If the movie had originally been mixed that way (impossible in 1960), then any discussion of "changes" to the original 5.1 mix would be valid. But we're talking about a mix that was extracted from the original mono source, so of course it's going to sound different from the original. I have watched the movie now three times with the original mono track. It's a revelation compared to all previous releases of this movie in any form, and for that I'm very grateful to the Universal folks.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Originally Posted by Dave MJ

I think the new music track is very well done, I would love to watch the movie with stereo music and the original sound effects track.

This is what they should have done. Period. Mucking around with new sound effects goes WAY too far.

For those of you with this disc, I have a question. On the mono track, when Marion hears Mother yelling at Norman through the window of her room, can you hear Mother's voice plainly? The last release was a bit better than the original dvd where you couldn't understand what she was saying. Also, when Lila and Marion's boyfriend come to the hotel and speak with Norman, are there voices in sync with their lips? The last release was out of sync.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Eric,

Per your questions: I can hear everything his mother says during the referenced scene. A few of her words seem a bit muddled, but I think it's inherent in the recording; all though, are in essence discernible. In the second scene you mention, I detect no lip synch issues whatsoever.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Got this and BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH and both of them play here in the USA and the transfers are superb. The only downside is Universal no longer had the stereo mix for BLACK SHIELD so it is mono.

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy

/forum/thread/300499/psycho-to-blu-ray/150#post_3727063

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I got ALI BABBA AND THE FORTY THIEVES, THE BLACK SHIELD OF FARNSWORTH, and PRINCE VALIANT from Amazon.uk. They all look stunning. I love Eureka. I think they are the greatest on classic movies. I would Universal would give them all their classics including the early horror movies.

Also, bring us VERTIGO with the original mono track done the same way and optional DTS.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Interesting thread here, I hadn't found it before and didn't realize that effects were added. Personally, I think the stereo sound increases the suspense so I will stick with that track. But it's sad that they didn't use the same sound effects from the original with the stereo score. The advertising on the film was amazing for its time, it was a truly genius promotional campaign. Also, the true events that led to the original book is just horrible. For those of you who love the film, I just did a few months research on the film and collecting of some very rare publicity materials on the film. You can find my special Halloween edition column on Blu-ray.com one of my Silver Screen columns ( see left side of the front page). I hope you enjoy it! Happy Halloween!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I've watched this a couple of times, going back and forth between the mono track and the 5.1. There are surely some elements that are more defined in the 5.1 (the car wipers come to mind), but I'm not completely sure what their source is. Are they newly recorded sounds, or did they go into the Universal sound effects library, and find the original sound effects (possibly in better quality than was on the original stems) and re-mix them into the sound track, panning them out across the 5.1 sound field? I think if I were asked to make a new 5.1 track for an old studio film, that is the first thing I would do. Dive into the sound effects librarey, and try to find the original sound effects so they could be isolated and then mixed into a proper 5.1 track. Doug

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Robert, your Silver Screen columns on Bluray.com and all the others you have done over the years are superb. You have photos and ad material I have never seen anywhere. Do you have any word on the new 1925 Phantom of the Opera on Blu-ray or any of the other Universal original horror classics?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Psycho 50th Anniversary edition Steelbook (Region 2) Blu-ray, is one of some Blu-rays I'm interested in getting. Do people here recommend it? Heard parts of the Psycho instrumental score in an episode of American Horror Story, and it just made me think how effective that score was in Psycho (1960).

What's the likelihood of something similar on Blu-ray for Psycho II (1983)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks