Projection Screen..home grown anyone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Florian, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Howdy,
    A friend of mine asked me to ask the HTF folks about a projector. He is getting an older model projector (the one with the three lenses on it, not the new fancy one lense ones [​IMG]). He saw a pull-down screen for about $200 but wanted to know if there was a good way to make his own. He wants to make a screen to fit a particular part of his basement to shoot the picture on. He owns and runs a sign shop and has access to all sorts of materials to use, but wanted to know if there was a particular material or paint that can be used to make a do-it-yourself projection screen that works well. Is it as simple as white background? Or do certain white reflect better than others? Just curious.
    Thanks!
    Phil

2. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Blackout fabric from JoAnn's or other fabric stores seems to be one of the most popular material for a diy screen. I have also heard of people using tile board and then painting it with some variation of white paint. (i.e. Behr Ultra White Eggshell, Behr "ultra pure white" flat, etc.)
    Here is a link on how to make a diy screen using blackout fabric. http://members.home.net/danhanson/Th...eenproject.htm
    Good Luck
    Jon

3. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I would go over and read the "screens" forum at www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ do a search on diy or diy screens,you should find more than enough info on the different materials used,the successess and the defeats

4. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Thanks for the info, all. Will pass it on.

Ciao,

Phil