What's new

Progressive Scan DVD MegaChangers? (1 Viewer)

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
So, who has produced a Progressive Scan DVD Mega-Changer? Who will be producing one in the next few months?

I'd like my next dvd player to be progressive scan, but it must have the ability of storing more than 5 discs at a time. I want my whole collection to be in the changer.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Bill:
Kenwood makes a really nice 400+3 progressive DVD unit called the DV 5900M. It is a bit pricey at $1,800 list but it is really loaded. I am not sure who carries this online or if you can get it really any cheaper than list but I am sure there are others that know at what price it can be had.
Parker

It can be had at www.crutchfield.com for $1500, which is the list price as far as I know. I don't know if it is available anywhere for less. There have been several online sites advertising it for less, but they don't actually have it in stock. Kenwood has not authorized any one to sell it at a discount, is my understanding.

Michael Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
This player looks like the real deal. A little pricey but I think it even has bass management for DVD Audio, kind of rare. :)

It does have bass management on DVD-Audio output, however, it is still very basic. Just a straight crossover at 100Hz for speakers defined as small. Better than nothing, though.

I am going through an Outlaw Audio ICBM for more flexible crossover options. Sound is incredible; in fact I am listening to all my DVDs through this analog path now. It sounds better than the digital input through my Denon 5700.

I think this is partly because of the more flexible crossover and partly because the Kenwood's DACs are 3-4 years more advanced than the ones in the Denon, which were very good at the time.

I love the video on this thing as well. The resolution patterns on Avia show it going very nearly to the maximum resolution. The deinterlacing is pretty much flawless.

Still waiting on Secret's individual review of this player, but they had a good opinion of the deinterlacing aspect of the Kenwood 5700 5-disc changer, which shares the same Sage/Faroudja chip.

It doesn't do any scaling like the Panasonic RP91 for 4:3 nonanamorphic disks, though. Also a few odd quirks, like long layer changes, automatic playback of last disk when powering on, manual switch in back for progressive playback,

slow disk changing, etc. These don't bother me much since I am just using it to store and playback DVDs. People who want to use it as a CD jukebox may well be disappointed with its slowness at changing disks and getting started.

Also, it's very big. You need to allow at least 26" front to back for placing it on/in a rack with connected cables, etc.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Sony has announced one for 2002:

DVP-CX875P, an impressive 301-disc CD/DVD changer with progressive scan output.

That's all the details I can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks