What's new

Problems with Pioneer Elite VSX-24TX (1 Viewer)

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
Pioneer Elite VSX-24TX

I recently returned from Florida with five speakers from my old prologic days (Infinity Video One center, two Infinity 425, and two Infinity 225). Since my HT in the living room is set (Onkyo 898, B&W 603S2 for fronts and B&W 602S2 for rears along with B&W Center Channel, with a Infinity Interlude 12 powered sub), figured I would use these speakers from a small HT in my master bedroom. I went to my local HT shop, and got the Pioneer Elite VSX-24TX on a closeout sale for $325. It seemed like a good deal. After setting everything up, I have one major problem and some other questions. The big issue was that the DTS decoder seems to be malfunctioning. I hear small bloups in the sound stage, like someone is making soup in a Disney movie. I got the strange sound on all DTS tracks I tried (Jurassic Park - DTS, Gladiator, MIB - DTS, and Saving Private Ryan - DTS). I selected “Standard” listing option for DTS; the manual says that I should select THX or Advance when listing to DTS movies. Why would I want to do this? The THX speaker configuration does not allow me to set Subwoofer to NONE and the Advance setting seems to be music DSP. Also, when listing to Dolby Digital material, it takes the receiver three to four minutes before picking up the digital signal coming from the DVD player. The CD players sound is connected via digital coax and I swapped out the digital coax with the one that is connected to my system in the living room. Is this normal to Pioneer? I plan on returning the piece, should I give Pioneer another try (the deal has one more 24TX), or go with my first notion and pickup an Onkyo 595?

-Marshawn

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Marshawn

The 21,24,36.etc. series has a known history of one or more problems. I believe one was a bad solder job on a chip. These problems usually didn't show up for a while.
I don't know if what you are experiencing is an internal problem or something else. But I would not like knowing I was buying something (even at a discount) that had a known problem.

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
Arthur,

Thanks, yeah it would seem like I should stuck to my guns and went with a Denon or Onkyo. I will be returning the piece today and I will start looking for maybe a Onkyo 494 or Denon 1801-2.

Thanks

Marshawn,

I own a 27TX and I can tell you that something is wrong for sure.

I have used DTS in Standard and THX modes without so much as a hiccup for over a year. I own almost all the movies you mentioned (SPR I own on LD. DD version)and they have all played as they are suppose too.

Also, I've not seen the area in the manual about the need of THX or Advance Theater modes when using a DTS signal. I thought it was more along the lines that, the modes are optional when using DTS. I could be wrong though.

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
I own the 26tx model and it's currently in the shop. The unit heats up something terrible. A couple of months ago it wouldn't "kick in" after I'd turn it on. It became worse over time and it made watching dvds unpredictable. I would have to tell my wife to turn it on 2-3 hours before I got home from work so I can watch a movie. And even then, the unit sometimes wouldn't be "ready". Don't know if the unit will be expensive to repair but I'll be looking into another receiver.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Marshawn, dump that 26TX and RUN! I had a 26TX with B&W 602S2 fronts/LCR6 center/and 601S2 rears, and I liked it for about the two years it took for the DSP board problem to occur. You know the one, intermittent sound for a while, then no sound. I sold it cheap, and bought a Marantz SR-8200. That Marantz and those B&W 600 series speakers are flat out MADE for each other. They sound great! If money is tight you may want to take a look at a SR-5200 or 6200 to use for now, then add a used external amp later and use the Marantz as a preamp.

The B&W/Marantz combo is awesome!

My $.02

Pete

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
My 26TX did the same thing. I called Pioneer and they agreed to service it out of warranty. That's the good part. The bad part is that the service center signed for it on April 24 (UPS tracking) and they just now finished the repair on July 1. We'll see if it works when I get it back.

BrianDD

Agent
I have been using my 24TX for over 2 years now without a single problem. Your problems are definately not normal and I would return it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks