What's new

PIONEER VSX-24TX and it Elite Family- are they good? (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
After totalling 360+ posts, it's now time to re-start a new thread. The previous thread named "PIONEER VSX-24TX - is it good? - A SEQUEL" (will be archived) includes 110 posts and the other 250+ were gone due to server's crash.
Now this thread will include the entire Elite family from the 21 to the 29TX, of course discussions on the 21 and the (non-Elite) 608 is also welcome.
Below is a question I posted just before closing the previous thread.
------------------------------------------------
Does anybody know any relatively cheap digital switcher for both Coax and Toslink?
With just the coax I can use any video switcher. However, I'm now having quite a problem running all my equipment through the 24TX.
Coaxial:
E-mu Darwin (digital hard-disk recorder) - AES/EBU or S/PDIF
Tascam DA-30 (DAT) - AES/EBU or S/PDIF
Denon DN600F (studio-grade CD player) - S/PDIF
Optical:
Pioneer PDR-05 (CD recorder) - S/PDIF
Pioneer CLD-D604 (LD) - S/PDIF
Sony S500D (DVD) - S/PDIF
Sony #### (portable MD recorder) - S/PDIF
ThanX before hand.
David Susilo
-----------------------------------------------------
------------------
"You wouldn't know a subtle plan if it painted itself purple
and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Subtle
Plans Are Here Again'"
www.kiwihouse.com
www.bigfoot.com/~david.susilo

Yung Lieu

Auditioning
I bought the VSX-24TX sunday from my local retailer for
$732 after I told him I could get it for $680 from soundpros. Decided to pay a bit more to establish a good relationship with them. Gonna hook it up tonight...... :)

Yung Lieu

Auditioning
Kevin,
I got mine from AccessDVD (formerly LaserDisc Ent.) on Cobb Parkway in marietta. Ask for Torre as he is willing to deal.
If you are interested in the Demo VSX-26TX go next door to Hifi-buys. They have one sitting on the shelf for $800 but the salesman (Eric) said he would do $750 for me. Let me know how you turn out.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
BrianSK,
Thank you for the infro, but still the unit only has two optical inputs, not four like I need. :)
ThanX,
David Susilo

Robert Keeler

Auditioning
I'm curious why you wouldn't go $150 more and get the VSX-26. I'm looking at the unit for it's multi room and multi source capabilities, not to mention a stronger power supply (read THX Ultra label) at 100X5. I love it that they are using 24 bit audio processors like Burr Brown D/A convertors and Crystal A/D chips. Much better than the VSX-07/09 by far!!

Sanjay Agrawal

Auditioning
I have my heart set on 24TX or 26TX. I don't see much of
a difference in features except Multi Source/room feature which I don't care for. Wondering if the power difference 90W vs 100W is worth paying the extra $150 or so !!
I am looking for speaker recommendations to go 24Tx/26TX.
Would Energy C-6 be too heavy for 24TX ? The other
speakers that I plan to buy are e-XL-C for center, e-XL-15
for rear and e-XL S10" sub, all from Energy.
This is my first HT , so please help !!
Thanks,
- sanjay

Yung Lieu

Auditioning
David S or other VSX-24TX owners,
I hooked up the 24TX to my sony CD changer CX260 using
analog
connection last night. The 24TX is set to CD Stereo and drives a pair of Energy Take 2s + ES-8 Sub. The front speakers are set to small (distance to listener is default 10 feet). My question is that I have to turn the volume on the 24TX to -25db to -20db in order to achive normal listening level, is this normal ? I mean I have to turn the volume from -75db to -25db ?
thanks in advance.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I see a lot of new people here! Welcome!
I'm trying to comment and answer all of the questions and views as much as I can.
Robert
in my previous thread, I explained that by buying the 24TX I was already about 130% over my original budget.
That aside, Multi-Source feature is something that I'll never use, besides, I don't need the additional 20 watts of the 26TX.
At the loudness level that is comfortable for me, I never peaked more than 60 watts (according to my measuring equipment), therefore the additional 20 watts will be wasted anyways.
The THX Ultra certification requiresat least 100wpc, that's the only reason the 24TX could not get the Ultra certification.
BrianSK
Daisy chaining two MSBs is too expensive to me, it will cost me more than US$900 ($395 ea. plus shipping and import duties in Canada). Maybe I should get 4 Midiman CO2 (totalling US$400 including shipping and taxes) to convert my optical to coaxial instead.
Yung Lieu
Have you checked that the 'audio att' button is switched to 'off'? That aside, the cable length from your CD player to your receiver is also a factor, although not a major one.
Regardless, most of my recordings, played through digital outputs, needs the amp to be set to about -25 to -20 db to get to my monitoring level whereas with DVDs usually its around -35 to -28 depending on the type of movie I'm watching.

Mark Nelson

Agent
Yung
As David says, a volume range of -35 to -15 is normal on the VSX-24TX. With this new type of volume control it takes some getting used to. I have run movies as high as -7 in our store depending on speakers.
MTN

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
FYI I wanted to let you know that I have added a link to Your Electronic Warehouse on our HT FAQ and Links page. They are on the right hand scroll bar at the bottom of the list.
They carry the Pioneer Elite units online so if you are looking for one of these units you might want to check them out. You will have to either call them or fill out the online information to get a quote from them. They do not have their prices listed.
I would ask for Matt. If you would I would appreciate you letting them know that you heard about them here on HTF. It doesn't hurt to have our name mentioned to vendors that you purchase from if you heard about them here.
Thanks,
Parker

David Susilo

Screenwriter
FYI
the 80wpc and 100wpc for the 24TX and 26TX respectively are rated on 8 ohms load fed using full-range tone generator.
So if we want to translate it using 1 Khz tone generation (as most popular method other manufacturers' use) their wattage will easily be around 100 wpc and 120 wpc, respectively, if not more (provided they are using the same amp).
The reason being is that:
1. THX certification requires the manufacturer to rate their amplifier using full-range tone generation (white noise?) rather than a singular frequency, usually 1 Khz, tone.
2. It is closer to the actual listening environment (who listen to a sine wave as part of their enjoyment anyways?)
"It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular
level I'm really quite busy." :)

Brian Kuss

Auditioning
Hello -
I've got a 24TX on layaway at my local hi-fi shop for $730 plus $50 tax. I've got the cash to pick it up now, but last night I'm scanning the reviews at audioreview.com and someone had posted that they just got a 24TX from Uncle's Stereo in NY for $620 including shipping! Sooooo, I called them today to verify and yep that's the right price for a brand new model shipping included. I then asked for a price on the 26TX and was quoted $800. That seemed like a big jump to me, which made me a little leary.
So before I cancel my layaway and mail order the 24TX, has anyone bought from Uncle's before? I've never heard of them before. Good/Bad experiences?
Thanks,
Brian
PS - David, doesn't the 24TX have 90wpc not 80?

Doug T

Auditioning
Brian - From everything I've heard, Uncle's is an extremely popular place to shop and, overall, people seem to be very happy with them. However, I believe everything they sell is backed only by their own warranty, and not the manufacturer's. Whether or not this bothers you is, obviously, your call.
You should check out Link Removed for their mail order company ratings.
- Doug

Pierce Lee

Auditioning
In the lost prequel to this topic, there was a big discussion about the 24TX not being able to output to the sub if the front speakers are set as Large.
I think the conclusion was affirmative that this limitation/feature exists, right? Can someone run that by me again with a summary? Thanks.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Brian Kuss
My bad, yes the 24TX is 90 wpc.
Pierce Lee
Set your front speakers to "LARGE" then set subwoofer to "+" then you'll get subwoofer out regardless of the mode.

Mike Likens

Stunt Coordinator
Brian: I understand you shopping for the best price you can get, but I believe you should reconsider buying mail oder. Reason one - service. You probably auditioned the 24TX at a local dealer. What value do you place on that service? If mail order companies continue to undercut retailers where will you go to audition equipment in the future if local retailers are put out of business? Reason two - manufactures warranty. Most mail order companies are not authorized retailers inspite of what they may tell you.
Let the buyer beware!

Brian Kuss

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice. I think I will go ahead with the original plan and get it locally. The last thing I want to do is get burned on mail order. I'm in a position now where spending the extra $$$ isn't going to kill me, and I'd really like the ability to just drive it down the street if something goes wrong, rather than ship it half-way around the country.
Also, in reagrds to the large front / sub question. Here's a quote from the 24TX manual - (I got my local dealer to let me have a copy of it
wink.gif
) "If you select the Plus setting, the bass frequencies that would normally come out the front and center speakers are all routed to the subwoofer" Isn't this the same as making your fronts "small" and just turning the sub to "Yes"?
Thanks,
Brian

David Susilo

Screenwriter
For this particular case, I'm just re-hasing what the other posters wrote. I never tested it myself using large speakers.
The reason being is that I'm using Yorkville YSM-2 near-field studio monitor which classifies as small speakers.

Robert Keeler

Auditioning
I guess the real question is if Pioneer can make enough of them.
David, BTW, the 24 was destined for THX select rating all along so it was purposely limited to 90W. I think it was even the first THX select receiver to hit the market. Hopefully you can swing the 24, it sure is a sweet machine. I have multi room needs so that's why I traded my VSX-07 into a VSX-27, also, if you haven't tried Midnight mode, it's a marriage saver. For the first time ever, I cranked up Armageddon at 10:30 at night, had plenty of bass and could hear the actors, and didn't wake up my wife or son!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks